Which Tyre????

Which tyre is the best for grip and cornering?

• Michelin Pilot Road 3

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Z6 Interact

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Z8 Interact

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Pirelli Angel

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • BT - 023

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • AVON Ultra storm II

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other please state

Votes: 15 10.8%

• Total voters

kenphyschem

Reaction score
Visit site
The current existing polls seems to be around a long time and I can't decide at the moment which tyre to go with for my bike!?

I started with the Dunlop D252 that were on it from the factory but found they had poor grip, espec in the wet, got 14K out of them. Then had Bt-021s, better grip but still not great and very weird wear especially on the front, thread bare after 13k. Now on Z6 interacts which are by far the best grip and handling of the 3 (although maybe my riding has improved) just at 12K now and they really need to be changed. Main priority for me is grip and handling in corners, being from Ireland with dodgy road surfaces and loads of rain even in the summer!

And suggestions would be welcome, at the moment i'm looking at
Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3
Metzeler Z6 or Z8 Interact
Pirelli Angel
BT- 023

(new member and first post! be nice, and thanks!) :) :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I have used BT-010 since tossing the stock Dunlops and I love them, they are not on the list so I am not voting (well you can't have them all!)

:welcome:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For grip Dunlop Q2s are amazing. I run them one my track bike and they stick like glue. For the street on my FZ1 I run Power CT2s. Great tire, after 3,000 miles they show little wear and stick well.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another option for you might be the BT-016 Pro. They have changed the compound RC polymer and silica components to add to the performance and longevity. I ran across a company in Germany that had done all round tests on this tire and it outdid all the tires in it's class for wet/dry grip etc. This is not the BT-016 tire which did not due as well in these tests in the past. We are just seeing them here in the states. They've been available in Europe for a while now. I've been running the BT-016's for a year and a have on 3 different bike and I loved the older version and I'm sure I will be happy with the newer Pro series.

BATTLAX BT-016 PRO HYPERSPORT | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Pro Hypersport test - Motorbike Tyres Reviews | MCN

kenphyschem

Reaction score
Visit site
Went with the Z8's in the end and wow am I impressed so far, 500K with them and they have been so much better than all previous tyres including the Z6's, even over white lines, cats eyes and tar joints in the road in the wet (was almost monsoon like last week with loads of surface water) they have never moved in the slightest and they just keep willing me to turn in harder and harder, going to be hard to find a better tyre than these!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! I'm stuck in a rut I guess but I like my stock Bridgestone Battlaxe tyres.
Enjoy your stay here amoungst friends. (I hear a lot of good about Metzlers)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
what is a tyre ?

It's the proper, English spelling :thumbup:, damn foreigners! :spank:

Anyway, back to the actual subject,

I have been running PR3's for just over 1700 miles now and would highly recommend them, outstanding grip on wet and dry roads :thumbup:

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of mileage are yall getting with those Metzlers?

I have the Z8's on my FZ1. Grip and feel have been excellent, luv'em. I'm at just over 7000 miles and I'm about 1 mm from the wear markers on the rear. I suspect I'll get around 8000 or so. Not bad for a ST tire that leans way to the "S" side of Sport Touring:D FWIW, I'm 220lbs and almost All of the my miles are straight line commuting, which is probably the worst way to try to get miles from a tire. My side treads still look new, all the wear is in the center. I supose if I were to have ridden 2000 miles worth of twisties, I would be getting around 10000 from the set, maybe 4000 more miles of twisties would have got me 12000 etc. Anyway, as always when comparing tire mileage,,,,, your mileage may vary.... :)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'll be looking for tyres in the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for recommendations on which tyres are going to give me good mileage please. (without being stupidly hard)

Obviously I want something fairly grippy, but my bike is more of a commuter than a corner carver.

I've been looking with interest at the Michelin Pilot Road 3s, as they're supposed to give good mileage due to the dual compound. (like the Pilot 2, but the 3s are the *NEW* generation!)

So, what sort of mileage can I expect? (I'm thinking buying a bike to save transit costs might have been false economy!)

Cheers,
Rick

And before you say Metzeler!! Humperdinkel, any idea on mileage?

Last edited:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'll be looking for tyres in the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for recommendations on which tyres are going to give me good mileage please. (without being stupidly hard)

Obviously I want something fairly grippy, but my bike is more of a commuter than a corner carver.

I've been looking with interest at the Michelin Pilot Road 3s, as they're supposed to give good mileage due to the dual compound. (like the Pilot 2, but the 3s are the *NEW* generation!)

So, what sort of mileage can I expect? (I'm thinking buying a bike to save transit costs might have been false economy!)

Cheers,
Rick

Even Michelin says the 3s are no better in the dry than the 2s. They are sopoused to have better wet weather performance than the 2s. They will probably be my next tire. But I've been a fan of the pilot roads since the original. The dual compound doesn't really offer better mileage it offers increased grip while leaned over. I got the same mileage out of my PR2s than I did out of my original PRs

Mileage depending on your right hand should be around 10,000 miles.

On the saving money bit. Probably not. Some guys on advrider crunched the numbers years ago and if you include all maint costs you about break even with a car.

Depends on the bike of course a scooter may save you a little with its 100 mpg fuel Econ.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish everyone would at least try the shinko 009's aka ravens at leasts once!!! I know I sound like a shinko salesman but honestly after coming off diablo's I haven't noticed much difference in traction and where the raven might not have as much as the diablo in the dry in doubles it in the wet, plus they are easily a 10,000+ mile tire. IMHO unless you have perfect form your not going to be able to use any sport type tire to its maximum cornering ability, and besides that 80% of fz6 riders probably never take the bike to even close to its cornering limits, bike or tire. For he price, mileage, and traction of the ravens I'm surprised they arnt the most popular sport touring tire out there, but shinko use to make garbage tires and I guess that stigma is still with them. But I can garuentee-sp? You this-unless you are a professional rider or semi pro who only takes his bike to the twisties ( which if you are then why do you have a fz6?) then you will fall in love with the all around greatness of the raven...

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a neat tire (tyre;)) thread. This guy did a pretty good job documenting the wear of 3 sets of tires, Conti Road, Shinko Ravens, PRII. but youll have to read the PRII thread to get to his conclusions on the Ravens.

Thread

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ran Shinko Ravens on the following bikes

Suzuki Bandit 1200
Suzuki SV650
BMW R115R
FJR1300A

I actully do like those tires a lot they are probably the best bang for the buck tire out there. And I was getting 10kish miles from them also. Good tires in the wet and dry and fairly cheap. :)

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shinko Ravens

Anyone know if these are available in Oz? (I've never heard of them!)

And, as you say they're good for 10 000mi, I wont be doing ANY miles, kilometers ONLY in the metric world! (where does one buy metric capable tyres?)

Gees I crack me up!

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT - I'd like to find a tyre that'll give me 16093kms, but haven't seen any.....

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of mileage are yall getting with those Metzlers?

On the XJR I get just over 18000k's out of a rear & around 24000 out of the front :thumbup:

The FZ6 should get you at least 20000k's being a lighter & smaller bike :rockon:

Ohh & Rick Shinko's are available in Oz , I ran a set on the FZ6 & did about 8000 on them when I traded it , they are fantastic tyres but they were probabaly only good for 10000'k's , 11000 at a stretch :thumbup: