Clutch Stiffness

haasfam

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody,

Has anyone else had a problem with a stiff clutch? I didn't think I had a problem until I took my buddies FZ1 for a spin and realize how stiff my clutch was. I read on another thread about the Pazzo clutch and was wondering if this might solve my problem. Any ideas? My hand and forearm would be aching after about an hour or so of city driving. I just thought I need to toughen up a little.

Thanks

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Yes the FZ 6 has a 'heavy' clutch.

PAZZO will help. Also get a cable luber and make sure to lube and clean your cables. This will help.

I was lucky enough to also get a custom extended cluch slave lever that also helps a lot.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is only a few months old and the clutch feels very stiff compared to other bikes I've owned. I lubed it and tested it while disconnected to see how much resistance there was in the cable. There was no change in the way it felt afterward. The clutch is definitely stiff by design (heavy spring tension). I actually prefer a clutch with some "pull back" but after a 7 hour sport ride with a ton of shifting, my left hand was really starting to ache. :( I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

H

HavBlue

I don't know about yours but mine can be pulled with two fingers no problem. I don't consider it heavy at all. Especially when I compare it to the pull of the clutch on the Sporty or the Roadstar. The FZ6 is nice for me..

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
one thing that you need to consider is that you may need to lube your cable. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my old bike when Keira took it for a ride and could barely even pull the clutch... Lubing it can help as well.

But as far as the feel of the clutch when properly maintained, the Pazzo's can help.

H

HavBlue

one thing that you need to consider is that you may need to lube your cable. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my old bike when Keira took it for a ride and could barely even pull the clutch... Lubing it can help as well.

She could barely pull the clutch on a Ninja 250?

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is only a few months old and the clutch feels very stiff compared to other bikes I've owned. I lubed it and tested it while disconnected to see how much resistance there was in the cable. There was no change in the way it felt afterward. The clutch auto body part is definitely stiff by design (heavy spring tension). I actually prefer a clutch with some "pull back" but after a 7 hour sport ride with a ton of shifting, my left hand was really starting to ache. :( I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Me too, I prefer the clutch with some pull back... Still, I think its the cable bro...

mr bungle

Reaction score
Visit site
Im new to riding on the road (only 1 month) so I don't have all (if any) of the answers,but I have raced off road most my life and 1 way of sorting a stiff clutch is to replace the clutch springs.Don't know if springs from another bike ie fz1 would sort it or if there's an aftermarket company out there?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the cable, it's the design of the clutch, they are all like that. Lighter springs would be easier to pull against, but how light can you go before the clutch starts to slip?

CoOlSlY

Reaction score
Visit site
My 08 FZ6 girlfriend clutch is like "jello"... Soooooo easy to pull back. Anybody have this behavior???

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
In which way does PAZZO lever help ? It looks to me like it's just adjusting the position a bit, but not the stiffness

There's two causes of a stiff clutch pull
1. The clutch inside the transmission itself. This you really can't change without replacing it. The FZ6's clutch is much stiffer than most bikes.
2. The clutch cable. If yours is worn, this is the easiest thing to replace. You can also lubricate it with some cable lube

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the FZ 6 has a 'heavy' clutch.

PAZZO will help. Also get a cable luber and make sure to lube and clean your cables. This will help.

I was lucky enough to also get a custom extended cluch slave lever that also helps a lot.

+1 on the cable luber......helps out a bunch.

Dannyrose1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, i have a problem with a stiff clutch lever too, but ill clean it and lube it up but after a few weeks it goes super stiff again when its freshly lubed its beautifully light and thats how i want it to stay but it doesnt is it time for a new cable?? They are only Cheap so i mite go for it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, i have a problem with a stiff clutch lever too, but ill clean it and lube it up but after a few weeks it goes super stiff again when its freshly lubed its beautifully light and thats how i want it to stay but it doesnt is it time for a new cable?? They are only Cheap so i mite go for it.

What kind of lube are you using? I have had no success with high priced cable lubes. Then I decided to try sythetic motor oil (as the manual recommends) and it's been shifting like butter for 2 months! :rockon: