How do you fill up

How do you fill up with fuel?

• Total voters

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that all my M/C friends get gas from the same side of the bike every time. We could pull up to the pump from either side but just like a dropped piece of toast hits the floor jelly side down, we always put the pump on our left side.

I got curious as to if everyone does this or if there is some reason it happens? I think it may have to do with your dominate side i.e. right handed vs left handed.

Lets see what the numbers say!

Thanks for participating.
phranK

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
Left side if I can get it but right if I can't. That's nothing to do with dominant side though. It's just that when the bike is on the side stand it's tipping over to the left and therefore you have less of the tank to contend with. On the right side you stand a chance of having to lay the hose across the tank which might scratch it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for right/right, but I don't really care too much which side I fill from. Whichever pump is available is the one I take.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I always fill up on the side stand unless I'm touring and trying to minimize stops. Makes sense to fill from the left of the bike when on the side stand as it's leaning toward you to make it easier.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you guys are talking about stands! I never put a stand down at all.
I guess I should explain that in NJ, we are not allowed to operate pumps on our own. The attendant will run your card for you and select the grade and will then hand you the nozzle (if you're in a car, you can't touch the nozzle either.. it's strictly full service).
So.. no sense for me to get off the bike and makes very little difference what side the pump is on since my bike isn't leaning to one side when I fill up.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh you guys are talking about stands! I never put a stand down at all.
I guess I should explain that in NJ, we are not allowed to operate pumps on our own. The attendant will run your card for you and select the grade and will then hand you the nozzle (if you're in a car, you can't touch the nozzle either.. it's strictly full service).
So.. no sense for me to get off the bike and makes very little difference what side the pump is on since my bike isn't leaning to one side when I fill up.

Are you serious or is it April 1st again. not allowed to operate the pump. Well now I've heard it all.

Also the poll needs a random option as I just fill up which ever way it happens to go at that time.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
The no self serve things also happens in Oregon. I am left handed but pump from either side. (always with bike on center stand)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dead-serious. It's New Jersey state law.

Darn! That is crazy. Are they trying to protect the poor consumer from themselves somehow?

I never thought about this question, but now that i think about it, I'm a righty and given a choice, i pull up on the left of the pump, so righty-right. On shorter rides, i don't get off the bike, on longer - i use this as an opportunity to walk a little while bike is on a side-stand. I think this has to do that my car has gas tank on the right.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My option isn't there. Pull up, sitting on the bike, open the cap and fill it up. I do not get off the bike. Key to filling a bike? NEVER put that handle on full blast!

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
My option isn't there. Pull up, sitting on the bike, open the cap and fill it up. I do not get off the bike. Key to filling a bike? NEVER put that handle on full blast!

X2

When I first started riding I would get off the bike and take my helmet off, now I just pull up(left side only) flip the visor and start pumping. And I usually only take off my right glove, usually just to fish the wallet out of my jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk