Replaced Clutch, now wont engage

xinoki

Reaction score
Visit site
So i replaced my clutch on my 07 FZ6. now the clutch wont engage, it acts like its in neutral all the time regardless of the gear. ive adjusted the clutch cable. i replaced the clutch because while stopped and in first gear with the clutch pulled, the bike would go forward. i put the bike on the center stand, while it is in neutral the tire does not spin but when in first gear it spins (but does not increase the rate of spin when i give it some throttle). i last effort will be to take it to the bike shop but i want to try to see if i can fix it. any suggestions to check, could the pull rod be not placed properly, the plates not separating, spring too tight, anything would be helpful.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
if your bike moved forward while the clutch lever was pulled in all the way, my guess would be that the clutch plates are not fully disengaging because of excess freeplay in your clutch lever.

is your clutch freeplay in spec?
check with the service manual.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Would there be any possibility that the new clutch was missing a plate or a disk?

Was the stack height the same with the new clutch as the old one was?

Are you getting full throw on the clutch release arm down at the clutch and up at the lever?

Just throwing some stuff out there for thought.

Marc

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Pressure plate bolts done to the right torque? Remember, it is in INCH pounds.

Take it out and check it again, remember, fiber, steel, fiber, steel.
Make sure your clutch plates are good quality.
I once tried cheaper plates on my dirt bike... Wrong move, I wasn't happy with it so I had to buy the proper ones that I should have got in the first place, almost double the cost!

One thing about bike stuff, spend the money the first time. In the end you'll be happier and it's cheaper.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch could initially been dragging due to warped steel plates.

As for how its acting now, there is the clutch release bearing and release rod in the middle of that bearing.

I would remove the clutch and re-assemble per the manual TO THE LETTER as it is specific with the friction and steel plates.

If you do not have a factory shop manual, PM me, I have an 2007 Yamaha manual as a PDF file to check your work I can send you (leave an e-mail address where to send it to)..

BTW, On page 5-52, the outer clutch cover (on the clutch assembly itself) is marked and goes on a certain way.

Last edited:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you're on the right track with TownsendsFJR1300.

The thing that seemed funny to me is that the rate of spin did not increase when you applied throttle. If the old clutch wasn't fully disengaging why would adding throttle not increase the rate of spin of the wheel when on the centerstand?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this info makes a difference or not. I picked up this info from a bike mechanic on one of the R1 forums. He spoke about factory clutches that were failing on new R1's because the clutch discs needed to be soaked in oil over night before installation and they hadn't been.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some Gen II FJR's were coming from the factory with very sticky gear boxes.

The fix turned out to be soaking the friction plates in oil (preferably overnight). Seems the clutch plates were sticking together (basically shifting without pulling the lever). They have a similar set up as the FZ6..

I suspect somethings not assembled correctly at this point with this FZ...