Lithium Soap Grease

C

CombatPenguin

Ok so the service manual says to use lithium soap based grease on most of the lubrication points. My question is the only stuff I can find just says lithium grease and doesn't mention soap at all, is this the same stuff? Also whats the difference between the regular and white lithium grease, will that work ok?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Lithium grease should be fine..... I've been using Honda branded spray on lithium grease for the past four years without issue. now, I'm going to have to go find out what the difference is between regular petroleum based grease, and lithium grease. (obviously, one has lithium in it....... but why?)

Timken Multi-use Lithium Grease EP1 and EP2 Product Spec Sheet | datasheetpro.com

It seems that lithium greases do a better job of rejecting water.... that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My (limited) understanding is lithium-soap grease is redundant way of saying lithium grease.

And because I live on the edge, :rockon: I went with dealerships recommendation of Bel-Ray waterproof grease for chassis lube points and steering bearings.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have to give a plug for Mobil One Synthetic grease:

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_Grease.aspx

Apparently there's semi-synthetic lithium grease and full synthetic. Just to confuse the issue more.

For whatever grease you decide to get, be sure that it can stand high temps and is resistant to wash out. Anything has to be better than the grease Yamaha uses in the factory. I am not impressed by it.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a ten page "What is the best grease to use?" thread. Maybe it's time.....:sinister:

Last edited:
C

CombatPenguin

My understanding is that all lithium greases are soap based, so when the manual called for a spot to be greased I use the dupont white lithium grease in a spray can. And for the axels and brakes I used a hi temp disc brake and bearing grease from auto zone and it seems to be working well. What I hate is that there are so many choices when you go to the store it makes my head spin.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
How exactly do I apply the lithium grease on the recommended parts (brake & shift pedals, clutch lever, side & center stands, swingarm pivots). I got this grease (see picture) and also a can of spray white lithium grease. Do I have to take anything apart first or do I just dab or spray a layer on top. Pictures would be helpful!

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
With any pivot point you should remove the bolt or axle and clean it, then apply a light coating of grease, for the grease in a jar use a 1/2 inch wide stiff bristle brush from the hobby store, for the grease in a spray can well.......
just spray it on!, make shure you don't get grease on the threads, otherwise you'll be missing a few nuts about 50 miles down the road.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have to take them apart...I think I can manage to take apart the side & center stands, but I'm not sure about others (brake & shift pedals, clutch lever and swingarm pivots). I think taking apart the swingarm pivots would be the most difficult. Anybody can help with these?

seb101

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't bother taking them apart, it's way too much time consuming, i would rather do it this way:
Use some kind of cleaner in spray, for instance brake cleaner that will get rid of the old mix greas-with dust, some break cleaners might get into reaction with rubber so read on the label. clean it off with rag wait a moment till it evaporates in hidden corners where you can't use rag.
Apply lithium grease in spray, move the that part a couple of times to make sure the grease will cover it around and that's it.

Remmember that you should do it more often then just once a year as the lube/grease will get washoud out eventually after 5-th,10-th or 15-th ride in the rain when it's outside with all that water pouring on it, you just have to check if they need lubing unless your kickstand is giving tou that aweful sound just begging for lube.

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I wish you or someone would have made a step by step instruction on how to do this. It seem involved with having to remove the rear wheel and all. Glad it's a 30,000 mile service. Yeah I know I should get it done earliier than that, I read the thread.

With the service manual and the post I made, you should have more than enough info. :thumbup:
Taking the rear wheel off is nothing, just do it while you're switching out the tires. Don't forget the re-grease the rear shock bearing too!! :D