2007 FZ6 Clutch Cable / Hydrualic Clutch

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the process of completing the FZ1N headlight conversion on my 2007 FZ6; I have learned a few things about the clutch cable.

To start, the problem was overall length of the clutch cable when trying to re-route for the FZ1N headlight assembly. I have a set of Renthal Streetfighter Handlebars (7/8) which sets the perch approximately 1 1/2" wider than stock. I was hoping that a company such as Barnett or Motion Pro would have something readily available for extended cables for applications such as this. Unfortunately, this was not the case. It appears that the wonderful Yamaha Company (in their infinite wisdom) decided to put not one, but two hard metal bends in the FZ's clutch cable making it very difficult to replicate. After a few discussions with a Motion Pro rep, it was decided hat i would need to send the stock cable to their facility in Cali. so they may reuse the lower metallic elbow. With this, I needed to create a drawing to show what i was ultimately looking for after the customization (I have the stock dimension drawing available if anyone would like it to do a similar process).

With that being said, I thought to myself, "why not upgrade and install a hydraulic set-up? Maybe this would decrease the size of my left forearm due to the grip exerciser on my left handlebar". Second problem. No-one manufactures a hydraulic set-up for the FZ6. Again, I began calling vendors to see if anyone had asked a similar question in the past.

The most receptive company (not all that surprising) was Magura. Peter in the US sales office did some digging trying to find a current product from their MX and Buell line that would work for the FZ. After a few days, I received an e-mail stating "At this time we do not have a product available for the FZ6...However, it is in the works. Please check back again in two to three weeks"!!

So, long story short, I am having the cable modified at a local shop (Motion Pro was great to deal with but their current turn-around time was a little longer than I liked). I will definitely be purchasing the Magura when it hits the market and will try to keep this up to date with photos as soon as i get it.

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news if Magura creates one. But how much is it going to cost? Most of magura's kits go for $400+

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
That's funny because I'm the opposite boat as you, becuase I just sent my throttle cables and clutch cable to Motion Pro so that they could make me some shorter cables. I'm needing shorter cables because I'm going naked with clip-ons below the top yoke and found that my cables stick out way too much.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shorter and longer, all the more reason something universal should be available. Hydraulic would be nice; change out the banjo bolt fitting and choose whatever length hose you need. Soon hopefully...

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site