Swingarm maintenance Do It!!!

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
The owner's manual says repack the swingarm every 16000 mi (19000 km) . My Kawasaki KLR650's swingarm had little if any grease so i checked the FZ with only 6860 miles it too had no grease . there was some pitting and corrosion I never rode in the rain and it stayed indoors. Because the swingarm bearings and pivot bolt are so close to the exhaust pipe the heat from the mid pipe can melt the grease so its very important to do this before 16000 miles. sorry i didnt take any pics

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Even if your bike is brand new you should do this now because the guys at the factory doing the assembly are not .

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
exactly what does this involve in short?

It's very easy just takes time remove exhaust , rear wheel, the bottom bolt on the rear shock then remove the pivot bolt on the swingarm. while your at it put some heat wrap on the mid pipe. this will make the bike run cooler and the swingarm bearings and rear shock will last longer and work better.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
It's very easy just takes time remove exhaust , rear wheel, the bottom bolt on the rear shock then remove the pivot bolt on the swingarm. while your at it put some heat wrap on the mid pipe. this will make the bike run cooler and the swingarm bearings and rear shock will last longer and work better.

ya piece of cake.... :rolleyes:

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
So where did I leave my mechanic degree again?? haha!!! I'd rather pay someone to do that...i dont have the time or guts to touch my suspension.

I got a Hayes service manual for $45 shop rates are $75-95 per hour. the service manual makes it very easy. all you need is a few basic tools and you can save a lot of $$$$$$$$$$

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
some people are worried about turning a few bolts and I understand. But it is pretty hard to screw something up (I have never ever screwed anything up, ever :liar: ) if you pay attention to what you are doing. And you will save a lot of money doing this stuff yourself!

example: a friend of mine went to have his oil changed ('06 Hayabusa) and the shop charged him $189.00!!!! :eek: the next time he asked me to help and we did it for under $60.00 and that is including beer! :iconbeer: just think of the money you could save....and it is probably quicker for you to do it than bring it to the shop, wait for them or drop it off, etc.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this last year, it's really a simple job with the un-braced swingarm on the FZ. The only awkward part of this is the exhaust system removal, it's about 2 hrs. from start-finish.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

a.....that's it.....sure, i bring it to the dealer LOL extended warranty

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound like a total noob, but I haven't touched the exhuast system yet. At the location you disconnect the exhaust system, is there a gasket that needs to be changed? Or is it just bolt-off, bolt back on?

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound like a total noob, but I haven't touched the exhuast system yet. At the location you disconnect the exhaust system, is there a gasket that needs to be changed? Or is it just bolt-off, bolt back on?

There is a wire mesh gasket that can be reused many times if you are careful

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are zerks ?

It's what a grease gun connects to. Also called Zerts

96226d1203602671-broke-grease-fitting-bucket-what-grease-zerks-metric-american-cropped.jpg