Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!

The end bolt can be opened without a damper holding tool, rebar or wooden stake. I also did not use an impact gun.

Before removing the forks or lossening the pinch bolts holding the forks in place, loosen the end bolts and drain fork oil first with the forks still held in place, but with the front wheel removed.

However when assembling the forks, i used a customized damper rod holding tool instead. The other fz6 is due for fork oil change in nov/dec. I will try to reassemble the forks without damper rod holding tool and see if works. This may be attempted by using upper and lower bracket pinch bolts to hold the forks in place. All the components be assembled, including the fork cap, but no fork oil should be added until the end bolt is tightened. I suspect this may eliminate the need for damper rod holding tool, wooden stake, rebar etc. Maybe someone wants to try this before i do?
    Last edited by Pplater; 04-09-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Found this at my local home store when I went to get a length of 2" PVC pipe to make a tool, for $3 and the cost of the 2" PVC it work out very well.
    It is an internal 2" PVC coupling, I had no idea this product existed. Thought I would post up for anyone getting ready to change their seals

The coupling fit the seal and the 2" PVC worked to seat slide with the washer cover on and close enough to seat the dust cover.

04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-2-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-1-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-3-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-4-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-5-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-6-jpg04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!-seal-tool-7-jpg

Thanks to Fizzer6 for the original post.
    Last edited by lghtmgr; 05-20-2018 at 06:45 AM.

3. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, SilverTwin thanked for this post
    Likes darius, SilverTwin liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, perfect fit.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge thanks for this post, replaced my seals yesterday and all of the details shared here made it much easier.

The 2" i.d. piping from Lowe's worked perfectly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replaced my fork seals twice in 7000 miles.
    first time because of wheelies second time just because they started to leak again.
    now it's 7500 miles and forks are wet from the oil on a chrome part, not that it's a waterfall but doesn't look normal.

is anyone else having same issues with front forks? I'm not going to replace seals 3rd time, would replace them with R6 forks...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
    replaced my fork seals twice in 7000 miles.
    first time because of wheelies second time just because they started to leak again.
    now it's 7500 miles and forks are wet from the oil on a chrome part, not that it's a waterfall but doesn't look normal.

is anyone else having same issues with front forks? I'm not going to replace seals 3rd time, would replace them with R6 forks...
    Nope, 27,000 miles on the original seals. But then I don't do wheelies. (Slight wheel lift on hard acceleration-rarely)

You probably have excessive wear to the bushings inside the legs which will not let the seals do their job.

IDK if the R6 forks will hold up any better with doing wheelies, especially if a "hard landing" . Someone else will have to chime in..

One fork oil change since new..

I also run AIR in each fork leg, about 13 PSI:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-06-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll chime in, wheelies kill fork seals. Wanna do endless wheelies...get a dirt bike.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

9. Likes ShoopCE, trepetti liked this post
    It's all good! 04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement! trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    I'll chime in, wheelies kill fork seals. Wanna do endless wheelies...get a dirt bike.
    And wheelies crack frames on the FZ6.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, CRG RC2 levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, LED Headlights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies, Techspec tank pads, TownsendsFJR13 aux power port mount

11. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

just hit 29k miles and left fork started to leak, will be doing seals this off season, time is limited and still want to ride few more times. This write up will be very helpful Thank you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345