Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: 04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!

I've had about 4 of them apart. So far, tighties go up top, loose at the bottom. Brand new or not, your's seem backwards.

Per our PM's; although you compressed it and saw the tighter coils collapse first, I'm pretty sure thats the result of them being in upside down and they are weakening.

If you check the bikes static SAG it will give us an idea as to the springs health. All you need to do is throw a zip tie on a stanchion tube and let the bike stand on its own. Measure the difference from FULLY EXTENDED to ACTUAL ride height (how far did the Zip tie move). That's the ball park bike SAG.

Repeat with you on board and you have rider sag which when you RECORD IT and measure again at the end of the season, then you see the springs sank another 1/2" (OR MORE) and you know they are getting weaker!

Anyway - As stated in PM; on a dual rate spring installed correctly, the action of the forks compressing acts first on the spring nearer the bottom. The coils near the bottom are constantly flexing. As you encounter bumps, more of the spring compresses.

When installed with the heavier rated towards the bottom, you've increased the unsprung mass. In the ideal world with newer springs the lower rated section should compress first. And when upside down, that means the WHOLE SPRING HAS TO MOVE AND ACT AGAINST THE SPRING CAP so the lower rated section (at the top) can compress. But its not that simple. The initial shock of being moved can win and force the bottom (higher rated coil section) to collapse just due to the action of trying to move the mass of spring.

Measure the bikes static sag and tell us how much those spring settle just from the bikes weight.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

2. Thanks FIZZER6 thanked for this post
    FIZZER6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    I'v
    If you check the bikes static SAG it will give us an idea as to the springs health. All you need to do is throw a zip tie on a stanchion tube and let the bike stand on its own. Measure the difference from FULLY EXTENDED to ACTUAL ride height (how far did the Zip tie move). That's the ball park bike SAG.

Measure the bikes static sag and tell us how much those spring settle just from the bikes weight.
    I am assuming when you say "let the bike stand on it's own". Just stand it upright and support it lightly by holding the bar without applying weight to the bar? Can you give me the NORMAL sag on healthy forks? What about normal main spring length when removed from the forks? If I'm removing the springs anyway to install them the other way I may as well measure them while out.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like my forks were assembled at the factory at 4:50pm on a Friday!
    Put my bike out on the highway
    feel that wind all in my face
    breathe some air that tastes like freedom
    let that be my saving grace
    I believe it's time for me to ride...

4. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Springs are supposed to be 350 mm free. Its in the FSM. But off hand it doesn't mean much. Well, unless they're 320mm! Just set the bars aside and drag them out slowly so the oil can run off. Its easier to put the caps back if the nose is unloaded.

It really varies, but ideal is 10-13mm bike only, just holding a bar end as you indicated.

I recall my OEM forks/springs had 45mm of rider sag at 8,000 miles, I'm at 180lbs in rider position. Hint previous owner was likely pushing 260lbs. They were toast. Any weight transfer from braking and I was on my nose.

You can use a wall to do rider sag solo. Just use a zip tie, then PULL UP as you dismount and continue pulling up until you can raise the nose. i.e. pushing DOWN on the seat and kick a block of wood under the headers and measure how far zippy moves. Do it 3x and take the average.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

6. Thanks FIZZER6 thanked for this post
    FIZZER6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great info! I still have the forks off the bike as I am still working on swapping head bearings so I'll remove the springs, measure them and reinstall tonight. Won't have a change to measure sag for a few days or weeks when I get around to putting it all back together, no big hurry as this month is pretty much a bust for riding in VA.

I'm about 150 lbs with gear and have been the only owner so my bike has never been overloaded.
    Put my bike out on the highway
    feel that wind all in my face
    breathe some air that tastes like freedom
    let that be my saving grace
    I believe it's time for me to ride...

8. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InBox-PM View Post
    If my static Bike SAG is greater than 15-25mm, can I increase the preload to bring it into spec?
    Maybe, however its not that easy and we need to look at the whole picture. A springs rate if proper for its intended use cruise, highway, or track use, neither tops out or bottoms out and it keeps the bike at the proper ride height so the suspensions geometry is maintained throughout most of the terrain we ride in.

You need to know what the rider SAG value is too. With the two numbers you can ballpark if the springs rate and preload is proper for your intended use. This will vary based upon what you expect from the bike in your environment.

Lets say your bike is using 25mm of static SAG to support itself and with the rider it compresses another 40 to 50mm. Unless adjustments are made to the rear, the steering angles will be less than ideal. Not to mention most of your travel has already been consumed leaving little for surface irregularities. Stock has 130mm (5.12") of travel.

Point: you have to take rider SAG into the equation before increasing the preload.

Spring Rate:
    - Too low and we risk bottoming from a bump and poor handling.
    - Too high and the bike handles poorly as its topping out.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

10. Thanks FIZZER6 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: 04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement!

Does one fork seal kit include all the necessary seals for both forks?

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tejkowskit View Post
    Does one fork seal kit include all the necessary seals for both forks?
    I've never seen it listed that way. OEM kits are per fork. Fleebay may cover both. Tiny details....
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

13. Thanks tejkowskit thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    I've never seen it listed that way. OEM kits are per fork. Fleebay may cover both. Tiny details....
    Thanks. I assumed it was per fork, but wanted to double check before I ordered.

15. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Part #47 is a Yamaha OEM seal kit with all the seals included. If you check each seal needed, its states its included in the seal kit. Might be something new as I haven't seen this kit either..

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V FRONT FORK Diagram
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

17. Thanks tejkowskit, ErikNYC, FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 04-09 FZ6 FORK OIL and seal replacement - With Steering Head Bearing Swap!

Hmm now im wondering if I ordered one kit or two. Im thinking just one thinking it was enough for both.

* I just checked got two
    Last edited by cmantis; 05-22-2015 at 05:24 AM.

19. Thanks tejkowskit thanked for this post

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast