Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Valve Clearance ADJUSTMENT

Quote Originally Posted by twobob1 View Post
    Im still too scared to do mine, I figure I should while I have the bike in the shed for winter where I can pu the heater on and work away. Im still too scared and have the thing of if it aint broke dont fix it. I have all the stuff to do it even that seal you should replace. I just wish I had someone who knew there stuff standing over me watching as im sure id do something wrong!. I get the guide up until it starts telling you how to lift the buckets out then I can't understand it very well. one guy on youtube uses a cable tie inside the engine to get them out?
    I felt just as you do...

Re the buckets / shims, VERY EASY to remove. Both are steel and EASILY REMOVED with a small magnet.

Put the magnet (cam is removed), over the bucket that needs adjustment) and simply lift! Both come out that easy..

Putting the new shim in, you have to manually place the shim, atop the VALVE itself, and push down. It'll fit snug and won't fall out(at least with the HOT cams kit I used). Drop the bucket back on, DONE!

I wasn't expecting to do an adjustment, just a check, and mine was out just .001". Debated on whether to close it up or adjust. Figured there's spec's for a reason and an additional hour NOW beats a burned up exhaust valve AND a MAJOR repair later..

Glad I did, as I would be thinking about "what if" had I not checked.

And I'm glad I did it as you don't know if a shop will actually do it, or in my case, ignore .001" and button it up. I know I'm good for another 26,600 miles...

It's winter down here too, but the temps are comfortable (about 70F) and I was "in the mood" to attack the check/adjustment. It was all done, with a sync and test ride, garage cleaned back up in about 7 hours total..

Sync once done:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-01-2019 at 05:55 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Vrrroooooom! Valve Clearance ADJUSTMENT Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Valve Clearance ADJUSTMENT

I've seen a shop doing a valve lash and the pig they had doing the job was just letting dirt drop in the engine as he pulled the the cover off. You can do it yourself and once your done you've got the experience under your belt and probably a better job than a stealership would do. Just take your time and you've got techy guys here to help!
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Likes twobob1 liked this post

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678