Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vrrroooooom! What oil do you guys use? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What oil do you guys use?

I don't know enough to say any oil is better than another. I can say what seems to work for me. I can quote advertising and marketing all day long but that doesn't mean I actually know the quality of a product. Unfortunately one truth that I think I know is that a lot of what we believe is fact, is marketing and paid for test results. My motor has worked well for 9 years. I've known people who use Rotella for years without any failure.

Also.... I never think of what oil I'm using when I'm whippin it in a turn.....
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use Wesson, Canola, cooking oil.

Works, smells and taste great! Little calories and heart healthy!!

Works great on the chain too!!

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Likes Motogiro, kenh liked this post
    Ride Like Your Invisible! What oil do you guys use? kenh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Kenh says he uses Mobile1 in his car but I bet he uses mc specific Mobile 1 in the bike..
    Yes, thank you Cliff, Mobil 1-4T and might I say Damn that stuff is expensive! Which reminds me I need to order another case for this year....

Anyway, you should use whichever oil you fell comfortable with, we won't judge you too harshly.

6. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a European automotive repair technician, I would recommend Liqui-Moly. The shop I work for uses it in BMWs, MINIs, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. They have a line of motorcycle specific oil, and in several weights too. It exceeds all the requirements for the factory oil it replaces. I would also like to recommend MANN filters. They are OEM for most European automobiles, and make a filter that fits the FZ6 as well.
    Last edited by Kaneda13; 02-20-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Rotella T6 will protect the motor just fine. I noticed though that shifting gears was much easier using Mobil 1 4T. It was an aha moment. I never was tempted to switch back
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

10. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FB400 View Post
    I think the Rotella T6 will protect the motor just fine. I noticed though that shifting gears was much easier using Mobil 1 4T. It was an aha moment. I never was tempted to switch back

I like better shifting. Maybe I will give it a shot. Going to cost double what Rotella costs.

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIJ_FZ6 View Post

I like better shifting. Maybe I will give it a shot. Going to cost double what Rotella costs.
    I noticed it most with downshift when coming to a stop. I do one oil change per season and I don't mind paying a little extra. It is worth a try if you are on the fence.
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

14. Likes Kaneda13, Motogiro liked this post
    MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are going to get mad - I spent $60 on 4 Liters of 10w-40 Motul 300v racing motor oil. I want to give it a shot. Read great things. I understand it is for racing/track which I do not do but I also don't plan on going over 3K miles this summer. If I do, I'll change it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that is funny

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIJ_FZ6 View Post
    You guys are going to get mad - I spent $60 on 4 Liters of 10w-40 Motul 300v racing motor oil. I want to give it a shot. Read great things. I understand it is for racing/track which I do not do but I also don't plan on going over 3K miles this summer. If I do, I'll change it.
    I'm not mad, I use Motul 5100 semi synthetic and am very happy with it.

Like you, I change it once a year with under 3,000 miles yearly..

Don't ask about oil filters....

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

18. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast