Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squeaky/whistle-like sound at highway speeds?

Noticed a weird squeaky, siren-like sound at highway speeds near the front of the bike. Thought it was the front bearing so had the replace and still hear it. Any ideas?

Vrrroooooom! Squeaky/whistle-like sound at highway speeds? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Squeaky/whistle-like sound at highway speeds?

I've heard rotors make funny noise from the holes in the disc. How are your front pads? New? Near time for new ones? Do you have a new tire or new tread design?
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    I've heard rotors make funny noise from the holes in the disc. How are your front pads? New? Near time for new ones? Do you have a new tire or new tread design?
    Pads were in decent shape when I last checked them a few months ago and the mechanic that replaced my bearings (and new front wheel) didn't say anything about them so I assume they were fine but would they squeak when I am not using them?

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Super Member Squeaky/whistle-like sound at highway speeds? zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be whine from stator going bad?

6. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

S1 or S2 bike? Mileage, ft brake seals ever replaced?

Agreed, re the brake pads possibly being worn out.

Gently push (with a thin screw driver) the pads AWAY from the rotors (they WILL NOT WORK on the first or second pull) and go a ride(using the rear brake (obviously on a little used traffic road) and see if the sound persists.

I would also jack the ft wheel up, (center stand and scissor jack under the header) and spin the wheel, make sure there's no binding and the wheel spins at least 3/4 a turn:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...in/dateposted/
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the sound aerodynamic or mechanical? You might be hearing a whistle from an add-on. For example, my bike has an aftermarket radiator guard that sings at speeds above 50-60 mph. When I installed a louder exhaust the problem went away.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

10. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
    Could be whine from stator going bad?
    How do I check this?

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    S1 or S2 bike? Mileage, ft brake seals ever replaced?

Agreed, re the brake pads possibly being worn out.

Gently push (with a thin screw driver) the pads AWAY from the rotors (they WILL NOT WORK on the first or second pull) and go a ride(using the rear brake (obviously on a little used traffic road) and see if the sound persists.

I would also jack the ft wheel up, (center stand and scissor jack under the header) and spin the wheel, make sure there's no binding and the wheel spins at least 3/4 a turn:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...in/dateposted/
    05 (I think that is S1) and 41K Miles. Seals as far as I know haven;t been replaced.

Just so I am understanding corretly, worn out pads would make a noise even when they are not being used? I have a new mechanic and he seems on point. Wouldn't he catch the worn out pads since he replaced the front tire? He also mentioned the rear pads need to be replaced soon but the sound seems like it is coming from front (but 100% sure).

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    How do I check this?
    It's NOT your stator....
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    05 (I think that is S1) and 41K Miles. Seals as far as I know haven;t been replaced.

Just so I am understanding corretly, worn out pads would make a noise even when they are not being used? I have a new mechanic and he seems on point. Wouldn't he catch the worn out pads since he replaced the front tire? He also mentioned the rear pads need to be replaced soon but the sound seems like it is coming from front (but 100% sure).
    Yes. Metal to metal will make lots of noise (and damage).

If just replaced the front tire and the noise started after that, I would suspect something he did (or didn't do) is the issue.
    Yes, if the pads are worn, he should have noticed it.

Do you have the owners manual / shop manual so YOU can inspect the bike your self? The owners manual is made NOT for mechanic's but for what an average owner can do / should do...

Should you need it, PM me with an e-mail address, year bike and I'll send a PDF copy to you...

Did you jack up and spin the front tire?
    Scott

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast