Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fz6 shut off mid ride

A seriously over due report:

Yamaha technician called me today. The bike worked fine for him at first, asked him to look under the tank and check it over. He called me back and literally said to me if it were his bike he would get rid of it. Apparently the fuel pump is a junkyard variation that was put on with jb weld. There was something put in the tank for removing rust (or the like) which leaked out the bottom and got into the connectors for the ECU and all of that fun stuff and basically welded it together so he can't take it apart. The battery that's in it is wrong- he didn't go in depth on this note of what the issue is. It's missing a harness for wiring, so on and so forth.

It would be too costly to have them replace everything that they can tell is wrong at a glance and probably more to narrow down what is causing the intermittent electrical issues. So I will be selling it to a salvage yard and getting something else.

I appreciate everyone's help in trying to figure this out and I am very sad to see it go. I wish I knew more about bikes so I could've spotted this earlier.

Side note, the oil level did show a little high but wasn't crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like an over reaction. A used tank and fuel pump assembly could be sourced to replace what you have. If the bike is in decent shape...and you like it...it seems that this is easily fixed.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

3. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Fz6 shut off mid ride Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BitesWhenBitten View Post
    A seriously over due report:

Yamaha technician called me today. The bike worked fine for him at first, asked him to look under the tank and check it over. He called me back and literally said to me if it were his bike he would get rid of it. Apparently the fuel pump is a junkyard variation that was put on with jb weld. There was something put in the tank for removing rust (or the like) which leaked out the bottom and got into the connectors for the ECU and all of that fun stuff and basically welded it together so he can't take it apart. The battery that's in it is wrong- he didn't go in depth on this note of what the issue is. It's missing a harness for wiring, so on and so forth.

It would be too costly to have them replace everything that they can tell is wrong at a glance and probably more to narrow down what is causing the intermittent electrical issues. So I will be selling it to a salvage yard and getting something else.

I appreciate everyone's help in trying to figure this out and I am very sad to see it go. I wish I knew more about bikes so I could've spotted this earlier.

Side note, the oil level did show a little high but wasn't crazy.

Wow! That's worse than i thought it was but... Get another FZ6 they are awesome bikes if you get one that's been half taken care of.

Sent from Moto's Motorola
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

5. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Where r u located?

Someone just gave away a fuel tank on the forum.

That tank sealer can be picked / scraped off the connectors.

The correct battery can be installed.

The dealer didn't want to mess with (and would be expensive-time wise) with someone's "jerry rigging".

There's nothing stopping you from picking at what leaked out...

Heck if you were close, it'd be a great project bike, especially for cheap...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can't get into the wiring to fix it, which they can't, then I can't trust it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BitesWhenBitten View Post
    If they can't get into the wiring to fix it, which they can't, then I can't trust it.

You can get to ANYTHING if you have the effort. Again, $100 / hour for them, no it doesn't make sense.

Almost anything can be fixed, it's not like you have a blown engine.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true. If it were affordable, I would love to fix it. I don't have the knowledge to fix it. I'm in Louisville ky.

11. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345