Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fz6 shut off mid ride

I was always taught to check my oil cold because the expansion of hot oil will give an inacurrate reading.

As for the center stand. My garage is reasonably flat, and I would center stand it, but with it still being lowered in the back, it's incredibly difficult.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

the milkman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    I think it's more because the physical volume of the oil increases with temperature?
    Thermal expansion is also a factor no doubt, but I was thinking that engine lubrication aeration would decrease the density more than thermal expansion. I could be wrong tho :P.

As the temperature of oil increases, the solubility of any gases decreases, causing bubbling to occur as the gas molecules collect together, this would have a decrease in the overall density of the oil, and thus an increase in volume.

the milkman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BitesWhenBitten View Post
    I was always taught to check my oil cold because the expansion of hot oil will give an inacurrate reading.

As for the center stand. My garage is reasonably flat, and I would center stand it, but with it still being lowered in the back, it's incredibly difficult.

Using the side stand to check the oil would cause a low reading because the dip stick is on the opposite side of the stand and leaning would causing the oil to flow away from the dip stick; Page 3-27 in the service manual states to put the motorcycle on a level surface upright, and to warm the engine up for several minutes before checking the oil level.

You have been taught wrong my friend, the manufacturers all teach to warm the engine up before checking or changing the oil.

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, I'll have to yell at my father for that one.

OK. That's good to know. If I measured the oil incorrectly, it probably isn't burning like I thought it was.

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let's address what happens if you have too much oil? Does anyone know?

It just so happens that when I checked my oil before I checked it cold, it was on the side of the road and it was very hot. The curve of the hill meant I had to push the bike back onto the side stand repeatedly. This means that the oil reading I got then of full is fairly accurate.

Because I'm starting to think other than the electrical issues, the current issue I'm having might be my dumbass fault.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OG MayMay View Post
    Using the side stand to check the oil would cause a low reading because the dip stick is on the opposite side of the stand and leaning would causing the oil to flow away from the dip stick; Page 3-27 in the service manual states to put the motorcycle on a level surface upright, and to warm the engine up for several minutes before checking the oil level.

You have been taught wrong my friend, the manufacturers all teach to warm the engine up before checking or changing the oil.
    Once you get your oil level correct on the dip stick, (mid hash, high hash, etc), turn it off and let the engine get cold.

Park the bike in your normal spot, even on the side stand (as I do) and re-check. You'll find the level lower but still on the stick.

Make a mental note of where it is NOW on the stick.

Now, W/O all the start/ run two minutes (which DOESN'T warm the oil to temp) etc, check to see the oil level COLD, that it's the same as last time.

Much, much easier and ACCURATE.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Thanks BitesWhenBitten thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So let's address what happens if you have too much oil? Does anyone know?

It just so happens that when I checked my oil before I checked it cold, it was on the side of the road and it was very hot. The curve of the hill meant I had to push the bike back onto the side stand repeatedly. This means that the oil reading I got then of full is fairly accurate.

Because I'm starting to think other than the electrical issues, the current issue I'm having might be my dumbass fault.
    Too much oil (running) will have the crankshaft "whipping" the oil into foam WITH LOTS of air induced into it. That will cause loss of oil pressure and engine failure.

I suspect you'd need at least a half quart to a full quart OVER to have this happen. You can literally run your engine on the side, with the clutch cover OFF, with just some oil splatter but NO major issues..

Now, the oil level CAN increase on it's own should you have a leaky fuel injector (seeping fuel into the crankcase past the rings). This is easily seen on the dip stick and also can be smelled on the oil from the dip stick(very easily actually).
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-22-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Too much oil (running) will have the crankshaft "whipping" the oil into foam WITH LOTS of air induced into it. That will cause loss of oil pressure and engine failure.

I suspect you'd need at least a half quart to a full quart OVER to have this happen. You can literally run your engine on the side, with the clutch cover OFF, with just some oil splatter but NO major issues..

Now, the oil level CAN increase on it's own should you have a leaky fuel injector (seeping fuel into the crankcase past the rings). This is easily seen on the dip stick and also can be smelled on the oil from the dip stick(very easily actually).
    You're saying I would smell gasoline off the dipstick?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're saying I would smell gasoline off the dipstick?
    YES. If the injector(s) are leaking, fuel gets into the crankcase and raises the engine oil level. Kinda rare it happens, had it happen to my FJR (years ago).

Again, the level will rise, usually substantially.

Should the oil turn "milky" and the level rise, you have a coolant leak into the crankcase..(usually a head gasket).

**Your initial problem, (pages ago), even thou the engine wasn't running correctly, was still (likely) making oil pressure and everything WAS getting oil.
    Scott

BitesWhenBitten (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, would this be immediate failure?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast