Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?

As title, it seems that on a really smooth surface like a new car park or fresh tarmac I can feel a slight clicking as the chain is going round only at very low rolling speeds (with gear engaged, if I depress clutch then it goes..I think) Hard to explain its not really a knock although close to one. Just wondered if it was normal. My chain is well lubed and correctly tightened. Not had a big bike before just wondered if it was normal. Its barely noticeable but at low speeds on smooth stuff can just about feel it.
    2009 FZ6 (Power blue) Stock exhaust drilled, Dual headlight mod, Iridium spark plugs, GIpro gear indicator, Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, OEM belly pan, Battlax tyres, FZ8 clutch slave arm. (Tried to keep everything else factory looking's I don't like visual mods much)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?

Not normal.

Is it possible that the chain was previously replaced without changing the sprockets as a set? Low quality chain?

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure, I got the bike 2nd hand. What should I replace? both sprockets and chain? they all seem pretty new looking at them but as you say they could be low quality.
    2009 FZ6 (Power blue) Stock exhaust drilled, Dual headlight mod, Iridium spark plugs, GIpro gear indicator, Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, OEM belly pan, Battlax tyres, FZ8 clutch slave arm. (Tried to keep everything else factory looking's I don't like visual mods much)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't replace anything at this point. If the chain wasn't changed with sprockets as a set, then I would expect some noise and accelerated chain wear. Just keep the chain lubed and recheck the tension more regularly.

If the chain "stretches" at an alarming rate then I would recommend an OEM replacement as a set. OEM is really good and lasts a long time with a little maintenance.

Vrrroooooom! Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't hurt to pull the front sprocket cover and inspect for cleanliness and make sure the the nut and retainer are tight. Wear on sprockets can be easy to miss when it's not radical wear but it never hurt to replace them when you've worn down a quality chain.

Bearings can get a click when they get worn. Keep listening.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ill keep an eye on it but I can't find oem chain and sprocket parts anywhere

Edit - I think its this part number am I correct?

5VXW001A0000

Also whats other peoples opinions about the OEM chain and what tools would I need to replace them all? I have most mechanic tools just no chain breaker/linker.
    Last edited by twobob1; 05-29-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobob1 View Post
    Thanks ill keep an eye on it but I can't find oem chain and sprocket parts anywhere

Edit - I think its this part number am I correct?

5VXW001A0000

Also whats other peoples opinions about the OEM chain and what tools would I need to replace them all? I have most mechanic tools just no chain breaker/linker.
    I wouldn't consider the problem isolated yet, but yes, that's the correct kit part #. Any Yamaha dealership should be able to order it for you. I'd price up the chain and sprockets separately elsewhere for comparison.

Can you see a brand or size refenced on the chain? (e.g. DID or 520/525/530) What color is it? Are the O-rings in good condition? Has degreaser been used on the chain? (degreasers tends to eat o-rings) Checked all around the chain for tight spots? Is there a master link present?

The OEM chain is a DID. My original is still good with 10K+ miles. Negligible stretch. Since OEM chains don't use master links, I believe you'd need a chain press tool. Another member or forum search should confirm. To remove the old chain see if it has a master link, else you'll need a chain breaker or cut it off.

Vrrroooooom! Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A DID or RK replacement with a riveted master link should be a good choice. You can get a chain breaker and rivet tool for $39 at Cycle Gear. Unless you're getting paid to win on the race track you might stick with the stock 530 chain. If you do the job yourself and have not riveted before, be careful to not over or under swedge the new master link. Never use one of those clip on master links.
    Never adjust chain slack tighter than factory expecting the new chain to stretch.
    Chains and sprockets will break in but any stretching of a chain should not be calculated like many hacks do who do not adjust slack properly but in fact damage and cause serious damage.
    I had a member come to me after he had a new rear tire fitted. He told me his bike was whirring and wouldn't shift right. When I inspected the chain slack I was surprized he made it to my place. The mechanic told him the chain would stretch after he noticed it was whirring. The chain won't stretch. It will cause damage and possibly worse.

Sent from Moto's Motorola
    Last edited by Motogiro; 05-29-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, a lot of good advice there. When I get some free time ill clean up the chain take the front sprocket cover off inspect and maybe take some pics and info on the chain etc for you to advise on what to do next.

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the chain is really driving you nuts, you can put the bike on the center stand and run the bike through the gears carefully. A 2nd person could watch the chain or you could record video. Keep all fingers well away from the chain. Be safe.

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast