Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to replace my spark plugs

Not sure when the last time it's been done, my 05 FZ6 has about 33K miles on it and 10K of them are from me. I also don't have the tool and it seems pretty important based on the thread that everyone points to (How to: Replace your sparkplugs in 20 minutes - Sportbikes.net) but curious if it can be done without it?

Also anyone have a particular place they recommend to purchase them? I was just going to use cheapest on ebay.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: I want to replace my spark plugs

If you have the factory tool kit, there's a socket in there that works fine.

If not, a deep, 6 point, 3/8" drive socket will work fine too...A little bit of tape INSIDE the socket will make a slightly snug fit (to the plug) for easier removal (you won't drop it back in the hole)...

Installing the new plugs, attach a piece of plastic/rubber tubing to the top of the new plug. Now you can gently put the plug in the recess without dropping it / cross threading, etc..

When removing the caps, DON'T PULL OFF by the WIRES but by the boot itself.

A little bit if dielectric grease on the inside of the cap AND EDGE OF THE BOOT (where it seals against the valve cover) allows the cap to be re-installed much easier. You'll also hear / feel a click that the cap is on fully (very important)..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-18-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! I want to replace my spark plugs Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also,: Do not let the parts person tell you the plugs are set to the proper gap. Set them to the specification called out in the manual.
    Spark plug gap for OEM plug:
    0.60.7 mm (0.0240.028 in)
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

5. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just to add to the above, as I re-call, for the double ground plug, you'll need a WIRE feeler gauge as the grounds are curved on the "inside"..

BTW, (IMO) I'd stick with the OEM plugs, the iridium's DON'T last forever. I'll be replacing my iridium's with stock plugs next change.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Just to add to the above, as I re-call, for the double ground plug, you'll need a WIRE feeler gauge as the grounds are curved on the "inside"..

BTW, (IMO) I'd stick with the OEM plugs, the iridium's DON'T last forever. I'll be replacing my iridium's with stock plugs next change.
    Any specific place you recommend buying the OEM plugs from?

Also when I purchased bike original owner did not provide tool kit (and not under the seat), will dig around to see if I have that deep 6 point 3/8" drive socket

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I got mine from the local auto parts store. They had to order them and I had them the next day.

Usually a bit cheaper too than the MC shop. I'd suggest getting the factory NGK plugs, not the equivalent..

Also, you can do the plug swap W/O loosening the radiator and tilting it forward but be prepared to shed some blood on your knuckles...

I was able to get my inch lb torque wrench in there as well. EVERYTHING, is done from the right (clutch) side..
    Scott

100K Mile Member I want to replace my spark plugs VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Also, you can do the plug swap W/O loosening the radiator and tilting it forward but be prepared to shed some blood on your knuckles...

I was able to get my inch lb torque wrench in there as well. EVERYTHING, is done from the right (clutch) side..
    It's even worse on an 05, at least on an 07, there is more of a gap between the radiator making it easier to swap out the plugs. This increase in gap had consequences though, many got small pieces of gravel stuck in their radiator fan causing it to stop working. Never an issue with the older models.
    VEGASRIDER...................Member # 35
    2006 Team Yamaha Blue FZ6, 2014 Ducati Multistrada ST

Link to 50,000 Miles Club

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...000+miles+club

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air & Qwest,
    Pants: Motoport Airmesh Kevlar
    Gloves: Motoport Race Gauntlet & Winter Gloves, First Gear Heated Gloves
    Jacket: A bunch
    Boots: Daytona Roadstar GTX, BMW Sports Dry Boots

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER View Post
    It's even worse on an 05, at least on an 07, there is more of a gap between the radiator making it easier to swap out the plugs. This increase in gap had consequences though, many got small pieces of gravel stuck in their radiator fan causing it to stop working. Never an issue with the older models.
    Fixed that potential issue on my '07 with an aluminum guard:

Scott

Super Member I want to replace my spark plugs zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for where to find the plugs, do go to an auto parts store. I pay $5 apiece at O'Reilly's, but substantially more anywhere online that I've found, and usually twice that at the MC dealerships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't want to start a new thread so piggy backing off this one.

Are you guys gapping .6 or .7mm on a stock setup (or w/ exhaust)? Anything to be gained one way or the other?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast