Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I want to replace my spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    ^^^

Good info (same as what I found way back, exactly) but your boots should go all the way down...

If you put some dielectric grease (very light coat) where the rubber boots meet the valve cover and a little inside the boot, they'll go on much easier and FULLY.

You'll actually hear the caps snap on. Their very likely NOT on fully and may cause issues.. Grease em up!!
    I should have stated that I did grease the boots where they contact the plug but didn't do the covers. I was attentive to the snap to ensure the plug was engaged with the boot. I'll have to shoot a pic later tonight and post up. Runs great but seemed odd that the cap didn't seat fully to the valve cover.. I spent some time trying to diag but couldn't find anything wrong with the boot seating to the plug. I did some serious pushing and the boot doesn't go any farther. there is a raised ring on the boot that the cap fits in, I can always slide the cap down the boot just a bit or put that above the cap. Like I mentioned, pics to come.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just with the many heat cycles that rubber boot endures, the rubber hardens up with time (makes a great seal to the aluminum too!)

When you initially pulled the boots, I suspect they took some prying or somewhat serious pulling.

Some Dielectric grease (not regular grease) where the boots seal around the valve cover will make installation MUCH EASIER, and "definite", guaranteed...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so you may look at this and say yeah that's on but to me it's off just a mm or two as I can see the dark ring (clean spot) just under the rubber cap.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed...

How long would it take to simple lift each cap (they don't need to come out of the hole) and smear just a little dielectric grease around the base of each boot(only where it contacts the valve cover)?

That rubber lip NOT fully in the valve cover IS pulling the cap UP, away from the plug. It's likely partially attached, but not fully.

I just did a valve adjustment on mine at least 10,000 miles later, from the last plug change (and "grease job"). The caps came off without "battling" with them. They got re-greased (inside and the outer edge) when re-assembled...

Again, you hear / feel the "click" that the plug cap WAS FULLY on the plug.

It's your call, just trying to prevent later issues..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heywood, were you able to change the plugs w/o unbolting the radiator?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not difficult to pull them, well exc. for #1. I had to pull the tank/battery to finally wrangle that one out of the socket but since it doesn't have to go that far shouldn't be bad. But yes they all firmly click/snap now when seating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdmlude View Post
    Yes, but I pulled the tank/battery instead. The coil is attached to the front of the battery tray and by removing that it gave me some room to wrestle with #1. The rest are easy and do not require removal of anything. I probably spent as much time on #1 as I did doing the other 3. A ratcheting box wrench and a Sidewinder ratchet made quick work of them.

8. Likes jdmlude liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was able to change mine W/O removing any other parts. I did have to use the bikes, tool kit socket(especially for #1), and some other wrenches, etc.

I was even able to get my torque wrench in there and torque em down.

Now I did have some small scratches on my right had once done (kinda big hands), but it's very do-able..

When re-installing the plugs, it's best to put a short piece of hose on the end of the plug, slowly set it in the hole, and start the threads with the hose.

You can use the socket (with some masking tape inserted INSIDE THE SOCKET, so the plug doesn't drop out and change the gap / damage the plug
    Scott

10. Likes jdmlude liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    I was able to change mine W/O removing any other parts. I did have to use the bikes, tool kit socket(especially for #1), and some other wrenches, etc.

I was even able to get my torque wrench in there and torque em down.

Now I did have some small scratches on my right had once done (kinda big hands), but it's very do-able..

When re-installing the plugs, it's best to put a short piece of hose on the end of the plug, slowly set it in the hole, and start the threads with the hose.

You can use the socket (with some masking tape inserted INSIDE THE SOCKET, so the plug doesn't drop out and change the gap / damage the plug
    I was planning on adding some masking tape to the inside of the oem socket tool until the plug was seated firmly enough not to fall out.

12. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning on adding some masking tape to the inside of the oem socket tool until the plug was seated firmly enough not to fall out.
    My factory socket tool (came with bike) had a small rubber grommet at the top that held the plug in place, quite handy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast