Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Weird siren/whining like noise after chain/sprocket replacement

That chain needs 2" of up and down slack. Measure below the swing arm, in the area of the plastic guard.

1.5" will whine and is hard on the engine output shaft.

MANY mechanics make it too tight (as noted above).

Chain adjustment is clearly shown in the owners manual...If you need the manual(PDF), PM me and I'll send it to you..

BTW, it's pretty rare for the wheel bearings to whine, especially that loud. A too loose or too tight axle also will NOT whine like that..

I hope he installed the front sprocket correctly. I believe there IS AN OFFSET... Call DID, they have excellent customer service and confirm about the front sprocket. That chain IS top of the line...

(Admin, below expires in seven days)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-30-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Regarding the rear axle torque causing the sound, would it mean its too tight or too loose? Regardless when I recheck the chain slack I can check the axel torque as well.
    The rear axle nut should be torqued to 87 ft-lbs.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    That chain needs 2" of up and down slack. Measure below the swing arm, in the area of the plastic guard.

1.5" will whine and is hard on the engine output shaft.

MANY mechanics make it too tight (as noted above).

Chain adjustment is clearly shown in the owners manual...If you need the manual(PDF), PM me and I'll send it to you..

BTW, it's pretty rare for the wheel bearings to whine, especially that loud. A too loose or too tight axle also will NOT whine like that..

I hope he installed the front sprocket correctly. I believe there IS AN OFFSET... Call DID, they have excellent customer service and confirm about the front sprocket. That chain IS top of the line...

(Admin, below expires in seven days)

So is it 2" top to bottom or 1.77 - 2.17? I think mine was on the tighter side but still within spec.

Also what does the 1" in the diagram refer to? Away from the swing arm?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is it 2" top to bottom or 1.77 - 2.17? I think mine was on the tighter side but still within spec.

The number 1 is not a measurement, just a reference number (1.Drive chain slack)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The #1 refers to WHERE YOUR TAKING YOUR MEASUREMENT.

Two inches TOTAL UP and DOWN (at the tightest point of the chain).

I take a tape measure, center a chain PIN while pushed all the way UP. Then push the chain down (medium pressure) and measure that pin's distance again. That's your total play... Should just touch the bottom of the swing arm..

And yes, spec's call for 1.77" to 2.17" play.

IME, 2" is best for me. Any looser, shifting gets sloppy, (not as crisp shifting) and if any tighter, when nearing the time to be lubed (or dirty), the chain tends to tighten up (which you DON'T WANT)..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-31-2018 at 02:47 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the purpose of chain slack....

When the swingarm moves up, the chain gets tight. So when you sit on the bike and compress the suspension, that causes the chain to get tight. Hit a bump while you're riding, it gets even tighter. If your chain is too tight - the chain tightness becomes the limiting factor in suspension travel, not shock stroke. Further, if the chain is too tight or too loose, you will experience premature sprocket wear.

On my cafe racer my suspension travel is actually limited by lack of available chain slack. There is a fine line between too loose (where it slaps and hits the swingarm) and too tight where I loose travel. I actually had to get the bike off the ground and remove the shocks to determine available movement, and then adjust the slack to see when that movement was chain restricted.
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 02-01-2018 at 05:21 AM.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Weird siren/whining like noise after chain/sprocket replacement Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other downside to an over tightened chain is possible output shaft bearing and axle bearing damage. Chain breakage can occur causing an accident and other physical damage. Wheel alignment can make a difference on how the the chain enters and exits the sprockets which can cause unusual noise.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I finally got around to checking the slack and did find a spot that is tighter than others that is a smudge too tight, however upon loosening the axle nut, and turning the adjusting nut in direction B and pushing the rear wheel foward, I don't notice a change in slack or the allignment marks.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If the axle IS loose and the adjusters adjusted out, the wheel SHOULD move forward. I give mine a kick if I need the wheel forward..

If your still not getting any movement, part # 23 (INSIDE the swing arm end) may be jambed up/ corroded, etc and need to come apart for cleaning or replacement;

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...s6t/rear-wheel

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-13-2018 at 03:20 AM.
    Scott

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    What front sprocket did you install, OEM?
    Do you recommend the OEM front Scott?

Chain/sprockets on mine are overdue, looking at these if you want to recommend one. FZ6 | Sprockets & Chain Kits
    Pete

If I can't fix it I'll fix it so no other bugger can

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast