Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    [said in your best Yoda voice]

Stubborn is he.
    Yepper, let him tear it down for nothing...

Gotta wonder why they even ask.... Oh well, we'll see..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

zixaq (OP)
    Super Member Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling. zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm finally able to start troubleshooting the problem, but now I can't replicate it?

C'est la vie

I mean, I'm glad my bike isn't doing the weird thing anymore, but having problems just vanish is kinda spooky and I mistrust it.

3. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
    Well I'm finally able to start troubleshooting the problem, but now I can't replicate it?

C'est la vie

I mean, I'm glad my bike isn't doing the weird thing anymore, but having problems just vanish is kinda spooky and I mistrust it.
    Were you able to actually get out and ride the bike? I thought you had broken ribs?
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

zixaq (OP)
    Super Member Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling. zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Were you able to actually get out and ride the bike? I thought you had broken ribs?
    Yep, back in the saddle, although I'm pretty rusty and a bit sore and weak from being laid up for six weeks.

Need to build up my stamina again and make sure the bike isn't hiding problems. Hoping to do a bit of a cross-country trek this summer.

6. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Electrical connections, switches, with issues, can come and go until eventually failing completely..

Most mechanical (hard parts) issues (say a missing tooth in the gear box), don't come and go, it'll keep "skipping" until the gear gets torn up more or destroys the other gear it mesh's with..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    zixaq (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not pretending that I can puzzle out how it doesn't work, but I'm 90% sure that you were right about the kill switch.

I never did get to properly troubleshoot, but the bike decided to just up and die halfway to work yesterday with obviously electrical symptoms. Walked over and mucked about with the kill switch today and found a corroded contact that looks deformed. Cleaned it up as best I could and got fizzer home, but I don't terribly trust it yet. I'm going to see if I can find a stiffer spring or bind the thing together somehow so it makes a more reliable connection.

So, I definitely have a kill switch problem. Hopefully that was also the source of the other problem.

It almost looked scorched, like there was a spark jumping there. Anyone know offhand what the voltage & current through that switch is?

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No more than 12 volts...

If you simply soldier the wires together, you can bypass the switch altogether.
    Even if just for testing..

You can't buy the switch alone, you have to purchase the entire rt hand control...

As noted earlier, the kill switch is a weak link IF used often- As you've now discovered...
    Scott

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    zixaq (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    No more than 12 volts...

If you simply soldier the wires together, you can bypass the switch altogether.
    Even if just for testing..

You can't buy the switch alone, you have to purchase the entire rt hand control...

As noted earlier, the kill switch is a weak link IF used often- As you've now discovered...
    Overuse doesn't seem to be a requirement for failure.

Vrrroooooom! Hiccup in power delivery accelerating in 2nd. very troubling. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The run\kill switch supplies current to the coils of the relays in the starter cut off circuit and to the ignition coils. One starter cut off circuit relay powers the fuel injectors and fuel pump and one starter cut off relay allows the starter circuit operation. Most of the current from the kill switch is used by the ignition coils but it also supplies low current to the 2 relay coils in the starter cut off circuit assembly. The ECU can also tell this kill switch is open because there is no voltages on the negative side of those relays or the the negative side of the ignition coils. This is one way logic can be developed to give error codes from the ECU regarding ignition coil primary winding open conditions.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

15. Thanks zixaq thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    zixaq (OP)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Apparently you haven't read NINE years of failures of that switch, MOST of which the switch was used very often.....

There have been DOZENS of threads with exactly the same symptoms and fixes as yours, but I guess that means squat...
    I'm not sure I understand your response. I was just trying to add information. I don't ever use the kill switch and it fried anyway. Maybe my skepticism was coming across as ungrateful? If so that wasn't my intention. Your input is appreciated, I was just voicing that this is a weird problem.

In any case, I found a knocked-about used unit that I can salvage the switch components out of as spares. I'll let you know if I come up with any solution to make it more resilient. I'd prefer not to disable the switch as a fix. Either way I will be yanking it apart to clean and service every couple oil changes.

17. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast