Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chain and sprocket life span

Quote Originally Posted by mave2911 View Post
    I use Maxima Chain Wax - great product, and keeps the chain clean and well lubed.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,
    Rick

P.S. Pic!
    i am going to ask this question right here rather then make another thread to ask one question

i recently started using Dupont Chain Saver. its a teflon based chain wax. but both times i've used it the chain looks and feels "dry" afterward. even before riding. i shake the can well and spray it on and all around, but it just does not look or feel "lubed"

plus the stuff goes on and dries clear, so what gives? is that how it is supposed to be and work? the can says "dry" on it be how can something dry also lube well? i just thought it meant "no drip, no fling" or what have you?

anyone? thanks!

Last edited by FZSexy; 10-17-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Maxima Wax for over 10 years. It sticks to the chain and puts type of a "film" over it for protection.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Lane splitting should be a choice!
    https://www.change.org/petitions/new-jersey-legislature-and-governing-body-legalize-lane-splitting-for-motorcycles

If your ride is boring - you don't ride fast enough.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FZSexy View Post
    i am going to ask this question right here rather then make another thread to ask one question

i recently started using Dupont Chain Saver. its a teflon based chain wax. but both times i've used it the chain looks and feels "dry" afterward. even before riding. i shake the can well and spray it on and all around, but it just does not look or feel "lubed"

plus the stuff goes on and dries clear, so what gives? is that how it is supposed to be and work? the can says "dry" on it be how can something dry also lube well? i just thought it meant "no drip, no fling" or what have you?

anyone? thanks!
    It is pretty dry, only real way to know it's there is to wipe your finger on the chain. It's not as good as the old Dupont Multi-Use by still decent.

My last chain went to over 30k miles on Chain-Saver with not the most attentive care.
    '06 FZ6 - 115k km, sold but not forgotten
    '07 FZ1 - 60k km, just not the same as the '6

4. Thanks FZSexy thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just over 24k on my 08, and the chain is toast. Sprockets are still good, but I'm changing everything today with a 520 x-ring chain and Vortex sprockets with +2 rear.
    Last edited by e30_325es; 12-23-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: corrected mileage

Thats right, Paragon! The_Paragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e30_325es View Post
    I'm just over 24k on my 08, and the chain is toast. Sprockets are still good, but I'm changing everything today with a 520 x-ring chain and Vortex sprockets with +2 rear.
    To be Honest, I don't have much care for a 520 chain. I swear they never last like a 530 does. My fiancée had a zuki GS500 and now has an FZ6R. Both with 520 chains that needed replacement between 10-12k miles and those are both bikes with less power than the Fz6

I have 30k mile on my OEM chain on the Fz6, she's still looking good and I suspect will last another 10k summer on the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting. My ducati has a 520 chain that I just replaced at 14k. I'll compare longevity between the two sizes, as I ride about 12k miles a year. Both bikes had the chains rust out, even though I clean and lube them about every 500mi. Could just be user error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ain't sure if anyone here does this. I used WD4D to clean my chain(sprayed on a rag to wipe it off) den just regular engine oil to lube the chain. The chain and sprocket still hold well over 25k km. There's a kink sound to it but adjusted at least once or twice per month.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Bikes owned before: Honda NSR SP 150, Honda CB400 SPEC 3 & Yamaha R1 2007

Current bike:
    FZ6 S2 2008

Mods: Scorpion Carbon Oval end cans, BMC Air filter, Custom handguards, Custom seat leathers, CNC levers, CNC 30mm Passenger footpegs, Fox Front Extender, Fox Bellypan, Puig Windscreen, ADV Wind Deflector, Short mirrors, USB Cigarette Dual Charger, old GIVI Top box, Hyperpro Front Springs & Rear Shock, Savage Tankpads, GOG Handgrips, Supersprox sprocket set & CNC handlebar riser 20mm

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345