Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chain and sprocket life span

I have 24k on mine and they are still fine
    2007 Fz1- stock as a block
    2002 R1- SOLD
    2005 JDM FZ6- custom exhaust, co mod, duel headlight mod, 17t front sprocket, airbox cutout, R6 front forks, R6 calipers, ss HEL lines, integrated signals, frame sliders, 50k Smiles!
    1995 YZF600R- SOLD
    1965 Mustang- SOLD
    2000 Mustang GT- 4.6 Windsor,,l.s. 3.73s ( Cobra DOHC BUILT TT swap in the works)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done 41450kms or 25750 ish miles. I cleaned and inspected it yesterday and while the sprockets are fine, the chain has a couple of stiff links and is looking a little stretched now.

I ride in the rain a lot and used to take good care of the chain, but have fallen into bad habits lately! I'm doing about 500kms a week and I just can't be ar**d! If I continue this rate of commuting I'm seriously considering upgrading to a shaft driven bike!

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I'm at 10,xxx miles and switched to Attachment 43537 this product after using one the flew off horridly (see below). Ironically also had to adjust the chain after 500 miles of using it. It just doesn't look like its there after 200 miles. Its got a great applicator, goes on easy and STAYS where you put it. Just not sure how well its helping my chain live!

If the image goes away - its Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Can suggests 30 min cure time.

FWIW:

Use this one:
    http://www.600riders.com/forum/garag...tml#post491452

Not this one:
    http://www.600riders.com/forum/produ...tml#post492254
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

4. Thanks FB400 thanked for this post
    Hopped up on Mountain Dew Chain and sprocket life span Sawblade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed mine at 21,000. It was out of spec on the length and had a pretty healthy patina from me letting it rust and scrubbing it back off a couple of times.

I was using the synthetic chain lube from that hate thread earlier, but I finally gave up on trying to finish the can. It's coated with Boeshield right now because it's in storage, but I'll go to the wax when I'm riding it again.
    "Forget the bleeding! Is the bike ok?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy explains chain wear pretty well. He also has a good video about parts of a chain and how to lube chains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    This guy explains chain wear pretty well. He also has a good video about parts of a chain and how to lube chains.
    Thanks for the video! I've always wondered a few things about chain lube. Mainly (i) where should I be spraying the lube, and (ii) do I need to go to the other side of the bike and spray the side plates that face the swingarm to prevent rust, or will spraying from the other side be sufficient.

This video helps with question (i). I do wonder, though, for chains that have never been lubed, would the wear there be in the side plates instead of in the pins?

Sorry, kind of a thread hijack. Carry on - I've only got 5k miles on my FZ6, so no new chain or sprocket yet.

Edit: I just saw his other vid about chain wear and lube, and see now what iSteve meant - he has ANOTHER video about parts and lube. My bad! If I could thank you again, I would.

Last edited by adberns; 07-22-2012 at 08:31 AM.

8. Thanks mave2911, Ben_H, Motogiro, Cloggy thanked for this post
    One Cheek On The Seat!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post

If the image goes away - its Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Can suggests 30 min cure time.
    I use the exact same stuff on my track bike and now my Fz6. I picked mine up at walmart or Lowes. This stuff is awesome and by far cheaper than some other products I've tried.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=its Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Can suggests 30 min cure time.
    [/QUOTE]

+1 props for Dupont Chain Saver. It's the best stuff I have used so far.

It turns out webbikeworld.com likes this stuff too
    DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the minute im using a light type of oil based on the scottoiler principal of keeping your chain soaked in oil so that it stays so lubed that dirt just flies off.

I have done this for a week and its going pretty well

So il see how that goes. as i am sick of applying chain lube and it never stays on and just causes a greasy mess

Junior Member Chain and sprocket life span mave2911's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aid-90 View Post
    at the minute im using a light type of oil based on the scottoiler principal of keeping your chain soaked in oil so that it stays so lubed that dirt just flies off.
    Oh that sounds messy!

If you can, try Maxima Chain Wax (NOT Maxima Chain Lube) - I promise you, it will keep your chain well lubed, and ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT FLING OFF!

I have been using this stuff for over 15yrs, and my current chain is at 39600kms, and still within spec.

Once you've tried it, I guarantee you'll be happy with it.

Cheers,
    Rick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast