Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chattering on take off

Hi so i am new to the yamaha series bikes. I bought mine used at 36000 km. It is a usa bike and i live in canada.

So this bike was drove by a lady who basicly let mechanic shops maintain her bike and they did only the most basic of maintanice on it. So i already know and am planing to service my calipers*slightly sticky*, steering bearing* never been serviced*, wheel bearings*no clue if ever done but replacing regardless.*, fork seals* never been serviced*, swing arm bearing *never been serviced * and may even take top end apart and have it cleaned out and the throttle body.

This all aside i am also going to be checking checking the plug wires and replacing the plugs.

So i noticed something concerning the top end on my bike. I can hear on a dead stop heavy take off something that sounds like a metal sleave vibrating metal on metal and it sounds like it may be a valve or something in that area of the bike. It runs and drives preaty smoothly so i dont think its a valve. Also the bike ticks loudly during operation and gets worse the longer it runs. I seen am article about that but i figure in my case it may be a gummy system due to the lady leaving the bike sit in a garage or yard for nearly a year.

Any suggestions or insights would be great. I do all my own work and am lookimg forward to getting this bike in tip top shape. So any services people would recomend i do would be great as well.

Thanks from deathjam4

Vrrroooooom! Chattering on take off Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chattering on take off

to our great forum! You may need valve train service. If you're not versed/experience with this you can end up with catastrophic engine failure. We recently had a member do a cam chain tensioner replacement and the engine bent valves because the mechanical timing was off. Your valve lash check will be,IIRC, 38624 km.
    You may need a cam chain tensioner (CCT) replacement. This may be the noise you're hearing. You may be bogging the engine on dead stop take offs which will create chatter. Any chance we can get a video? That may help us understand better what issues you have.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea sure ill make a video later when i get back to my bike. Also is this bike carburated or fuel injected ? i couldnt reallu tell but it looked fuel injected to me cause the assembly before the throtal body chatters alot during any time. And also has a control valve on it for idle. And thabks for the welcome.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deathjam4 View Post
    Yea sure ill make a video later when i get back to my bike. Also is this bike carburated or fuel injected ?FUEL INJECTED

i couldnt reallu tell but it looked fuel injected to me cause the assembly before the throtal body chatters alot during any time. THE THROTTLE BODY CHATTERS?? WE DEFINITLY NEED A VIDEO OF THAT

And also has a control valve on it for idle. THERE'S NO "CONTROL VALVE" FOR THE IDLE. THE IDLE AJDUSTMENT SCREW IS ON THE PORT SIDE OF THE BIKE JUT UNDER THE TANK.

And thabks for the welcome.
    What year bike is this? Do you have the owners manual for it? If not, PM me with an e-mail address as I have it as a PDF with the YEAR..

Is the metal noise on hard take off or what about normal acceleration? Can you repeat this noise with the engine in neutral? RPM related?
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so was reviewing my videos but my phone sucks at making them so ill be trying something else at a later date. But after checking my rear brakes and finding a botched boot that destroyed the slider with road crude i tried putting the bike on the center stand and duplicate it but the loud thunk seems more prevalent under load such as on its wheels. After i fixed the brakes on the back i noticed every time i braked hard i heard the loud thunk... Its almost like the engine is loose some where. If a bike is droped say on the left with out an engine guard is it possible to damage an engine mounting point?
    Also took a picture down near the left side linkage of a bar that looks like it has some play and may possible be the slider bar for the rear arm??Chattering on take off-20190728_205042-jpg
    I think i can tell a bunch of ticking is coming from my gear box. It sounds like a piece of paper on spokes in there when the bike is driving almost but its completely random. also i find the bike some times just thonks into gear even when i try to gently shift it into gear. not sure if its normal or if i need to make some adjustments. and the loud knocking defiantly sounds bad when the bike wants to try and stall on take off when the bike does not seem to want to go into gear. might just be me not putting enough gas to the throttle. sorry if i am a bit much but my ocd makes me get a little all over the place :P
    Last edited by deathjam4; 07-28-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: missed a few things

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and the bike is a 2006 it came with all the orignal tools and books. Bike was dealer serviced up till the end of the first owner in 2008

8. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i think i am bogging the engine its most prevalent during bogged start off's

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Chattering on take off Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe your noise is not cam chain but instead drive line noise. worn sprockets and chain can make nice noises as well as not having proper chain tension. Do you have a service manual with specs?

There are lots of thread on adjusting the chain as well as chain/sprocket inspection.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plus 1 ^^^ re the drive train.

Also, pull the front sprocket cover off and check that the nut that retains the sprocket is still there.
    **There was a re-call for that nut as they came loose***.

Clean that chain, re-lube it and adjust so you have a total of 2" TOTAL, UP and DOWN at it's tightest point. ****This is the MOST NEGLECTED part of the bike and mis-adjusted (especially by new owners AND SHOPS)..

How many MILES on the chain and sprockets? Maybe some posted pic's of the sprockets. A neglected chain and worn sprockets WILL make a racket, especially accelerating hard.

Not sure what part in your picture your referring to. Can you either point or place a piece of tape on the part before shooting a pic?

The shifter linkage (partially in your pic) is a long rod that goes between the shifter lever and ENGINE gear box lever. The heim joints are under rubber covers. Clean and spray a bunch of lubricating (not WD40) oil inside each joint as they tend to seize (holding moisture). They shouldn't need adjustment..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

13. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chattering on take off-20190728_205042-jpg Sorry was on the road when i posted this picture but i was referring to the part i just highlighted and pointed out with an arrow. I just decided to check my chain after reading this and its pretty gummy like old varsal so ill do a proper cleaning with a chain brush then take off the sprocket cover and take pictures. I think it defiantly has more then 2 inchs of play. The chain may be a bit new cause i can see signs of the wheel bolts been moved front to back at some point and its at mid point now but ill have to pull it out a little more i think cause there i think is nearly 4-6" of play in the chain. Pictures to come when i have a chance to do it. I am just driving back and forth to work every day its like a 5 minute ride so i should be ok till i get it in my shop tommorow. and replacement parts will likely have to wait a month or so till i have money. so one thing at a time and eventualy ill get there :P.

By the way i was on the left side of the bike checking spark plug wires and found the outer most one was nearly bent all the way back on it self .. do they do this in factory that way some times ? other wise it was some idiot mechanic that changed plugs and did not route the wire the right way. ill send a picture of that as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast