Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  62
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vrrroooooom! Crisis takes to chattering, During Hard Braking that is.. .. .. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Crisis takes to chattering, brakes that is.. .. ..

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post

PS - Cliff mentioned build up on the rotor in that other thread, why would this not be factor all the time? Ya, it just needs the right conditions to propagate.

Thanksa all!!
    No build up. Contamination on a specific area of the rotor.
    I've read where if you get oils/contaminate on an area of the rotor and there's high heat it can create a hard spot where that oil heats and creates a glazed area on the rotor. As the pad squeezes the rotor there are two different grip surfaces that shows up as a shutter/vibration during hard braking. New EBC pads aren't cheap.

I sanded the rotors put new EBCs and it reduced the problem and it went completely away after a few rides. Prior to the problem I had the bike dyno'd and they asked if I'd like them to change to new brake fluid. I let them..... Not any more!

Hope you find it!
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

2. Thanks Lefty, FinalImpact, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the vibration or pulsing is rhythmic, I'd have to agree with Moto. The only thing that is going to product a rhythmic vibration in the front end is the wheel or the rotor. Anything else is going to product an a-rhythmic vibration or shudder.

I'd check my bolts on the caliper, rotors, front axle, and steering head, just for kicks. I've never heard of hard spots in a rotor but it makes sense. I can see where a slightly loose axle or bad bearing could let the forks shift ever so slightly or a loose/worn head bearing could do the same.
    2008 FZ6 Fastest Black / R6 forks / homemade killernoodle slave lever clone / dual headlight mod / integrated tail indicators / lighted under-carriage / Spencer Seat Mod / Renthal Road Medium Bars / Motocentric sport bags - Tail bag - tank bag

4. Thanks Motogiro, FinalImpact thanked for this post
    International Liaison Crisis takes to chattering, During Hard Braking that is.. .. .. Nelly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Hi Randy,

Did this issue arise before or after the rear shock upgrade? Could the problem be a result of mismatched suspension?
    Other members who have completed the R6 fork mod haven't posted up any issues. I know that Pete had a really hard time trying to get the R1 shock work in his FZ6.
    Nelly
    Last edited by Nelly; 10-26-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Biker Dude headlight mod
    Speedo Healer
    Lucky Irish Boy foot plates
    K&N air filter
    Heed crash bars with sliders
    External power outlet
    OSO2k set back plates
    Home made Gel seat mod

6. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

The combo has been on there all season and works awesome. The balance front to rear has been perfect. I am on the brakes hard when this occurs. All other times its flawless braking from all speeds. One addition that plays a role is its almost always when braking going down hill. I.e. more weight transfer going forward.
    I'm 95% certain it has a direct relationship to tires and fork damping. A bump gets the dribble in play which depending on body position gets my hand (caused by my body) varying the applied pressure.
    As mentioned, the last change was rotating the bars which changes how I interact with the brake system. Let's start there... sounds like the ONE thing no one else change. Maybe? Just thinking out loud...
    Last edited by FinalImpact; 10-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With it occurring most of the time braking downhill, especially hard braking , as you mentioned, the forks are compressing more than on flat ground.

I would strongly look at a slightly longer spring spacers (or if there's an adjustment-extend it) to keep the forks from dipping quite so far.

I don't know why they would chatter unless the front tire is "skipping" on the road, perhaps too much dampening, not allowing the forks / wheel to extend back out.

All the above is after ruling out crap on the disc's / pads.

Just a thought..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

9. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    As mentioned, the last change was rotating the bars which changes how I interact with the brake system. Let's start there... sounds like the ONE thing no one else change. Maybe? Just thinking out loud...
    A wise man once told me that "it's always the last thing you fu*#ed with." I don't think that's the case here but.....
    2008 FZ6 Fastest Black / R6 forks / homemade killernoodle slave lever clone / dual headlight mod / integrated tail indicators / lighted under-carriage / Spencer Seat Mod / Renthal Road Medium Bars / Motocentric sport bags - Tail bag - tank bag

11. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    is the front too soft? have you lowered the front at all or raised the back?

could be that when braking hard, the front end is being pushed down, reducing the trail, making steering a lot more sensitive and causing a bit of a slapper

the rate of rebound could also be too low, to it can't track the road as well
    I never answered this;
    Is the front too soft. No. Its actually very firm on compression. Rebound is just enough to not induce pack down, while tracking the road well over small bumps. I have not changed the settings this year. Well other than to record them and put them back.

I have not checked the sag since last year to see if a spring has "sagged". Off hand, I'm going to say No that has not occurred but need to check it.

As for slapper. No. Just a straight push back on the bars. No Tank slap.

Note to self, full fuel tank 17 miles ago... Perhaps a summary of all things in another post.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aclayonb View Post
    If the vibration or pulsing is rhythmic, I'd have to agree with Moto. The only thing that is going to product a rhythmic vibration in the front end is the wheel or the rotor. Anything else is going to product an a-rhythmic vibration or shudder.

I'd check my bolts on the caliper, rotors, front axle, and steering head, just for kicks. I've never heard of hard spots in a rotor but it makes sense. I can see where a slightly loose axle or bad bearing could let the forks shift ever so slightly or a loose/worn head bearing could do the same.
    If I understood you correctly, I think you're saying (FOR EXAMPLE), if there is fault with say the 10 O'clock section of the rotor, that every time it comes past the pads @ the 10 O'clock, it will pulsate. That is not the case. It is NOT dependent on speed/rotation. Its rate of pulse is actually pretty consistent. Considering the speed when it starts and the speed when its all over could be 30 mph less than when it started, the rate the ball bounces throughout the session is the one thing that is consistent. It hardly changes. Neither speeds up or slows down. The change in this area is the intensity, not the rate.

Does that make more sense?

The day I planned to test was rained out. So no changes and no test rides.
    Last edited by FinalImpact; 10-28-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

14. Thanks Cali rider thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. I'd still be checking all of my suspension bolts, sprocket bolts, engine bolts, etc.

How old are your wheel bearings?

16. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    International Liaison Crisis takes to chattering, During Hard Braking that is.. .. .. Nelly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Could it be that with the updated suspension and better braking system you are more confident to push the limits causing the tyre to brake traction?

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Biker Dude headlight mod
    Speedo Healer
    Lucky Irish Boy foot plates
    K&N air filter
    Heed crash bars with sliders
    External power outlet
    OSO2k set back plates
    Home made Gel seat mod

18. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast