Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  158
Likes Likes:  62
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    It's all good! Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!! trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Question; are you saying you've cut the wires twice and seen improvement each time??
    And now you have also ordered COPs?

I will say it can be a night and day difference. And very few S1 failures compared to S2....
    I cut the wires once this last winter. Did a valve adjust in December 2017 but never did thebtb sync till this last weekend. So it was the trifecta spread out over 17 months Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!.

And yes, doind the COP soon. I have 2 coils here, 2 on the way and just ordered the connectors from cycleterminal.

Will send updates as things develop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, CRG RC2 levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, LED Headlights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies, Techspec tank pads, TownsendsFJR13 aux power port mount

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, FinalImpact liked this post
    It's all good! Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!! trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Making progress. 'Lead' coils (cyl 1 and 2) wired up, grounds for 2 and 4 done. Need to measure, trim and crimp series connections. Then bring my 2 hot and 2 ground wires up and connect to bikes harness. @buzzbomb, still working well? Any tips on sleeving the new wires?

2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, CRG RC2 levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, LED Headlights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies, Techspec tank pads, TownsendsFJR13 aux power port mount

4. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Likes FinalImpact, buzzbomb liked this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Go big or go home! Haha!
    In the electrical is a sticky for where you bought your parts. Look through there for adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. The stuff is the bomb! Just don't make any mistakes!

Maybe carry a spare ECM when deep in the woods!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

You know if you put the R6 cams and valve cover you get a camshaft position sensor and then you can add some trickery to only fire the coil needed for combustion!

Sure he says....
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Trepetti, good luck with your COP installation! A few tips from my installation:-
    - Slide the rubber seal on the COP up a few millimetres, so it's touching the electrical connector. This lets you push the coil down a little bit further so it clicks onto the spark plug nicely and won't come loose.
    - Give yourself more wire than you think, so you can lay the wiring on the back edge of the rocker cover, just in front of the throttle intakes. Also I covered my wiring with nylon braid and heat shrank the joins to make it look neat. I noticed you also have some in the photo. The ends can fray so a lighter is good to just melt the ends so it stops fraying.
    - Take lots of photos before you start, and write down a sketch of the orange/grey wires and their corresponding coils.
    -Wiring in series is the only practical way of wiring. It results in a slightly higher resistance than factory coils. If it's wired in parallel it virtually halves the resistance seen by the ECU and that's Bad.
    - Check the resistance of your COPs. They should be around 1.19 to 1.61Ohms. Most of the modern Yamaha COPs are around this level. Only ones I heard of that were different were some early R6s from memory. I bought 2 from a Yamaha MT07 and a couple from a Yamaha FJR1300, and they were all virtually the same resistance.
    Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you go! I haven't been riding my bike much lately due to family commitments but still runs nicely.
    BB

8. Thanks trepetti thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
    Hi Trepetti, good luck with your COP installation! A few tips from my installation:-
    - Slide the rubber seal on the COP up a few millimetres, so it's touching the electrical connector. This lets you push the coil down a little bit further so it clicks onto the spark plug nicely and won't come loose.
    - Give yourself more wire than you think, so you can lay the wiring on the back edge of the rocker cover, just in front of the throttle intakes. Also I covered my wiring with nylon braid and heat shrank the joins to make it look neat. I noticed you also have some in the photo. The ends can fray so a lighter is good to just melt the ends so it stops fraying.
    - Take lots of photos before you start, and write down a sketch of the orange/grey wires and their corresponding coils.
    -Wiring in series is the only practical way of wiring. It results in a slightly higher resistance than factory coils. If it's wired in parallel it virtually halves the resistance seen by the ECU and that's Bad.
    - Check the resistance of your COPs. They should be around 1.19 to 1.61Ohms. Most of the modern Yamaha COPs are around this level. Only ones I heard of that were different were some early R6s from memory. I bought 2 from a Yamaha MT07 and a couple from a Yamaha FJR1300, and they were all virtually the same resistance.
    Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you go! I haven't been riding my bike much lately due to family commitments but still runs nicely.
    BB
    Thinking that today is the install day. Once I get the spacing measurement I can finish terminating the harness and wrap it up. I have worked with the braided loom before, and I consider it more decorative than functional. Now that I have decided to copy your idea of running the wiring in the back, I am pretty sure that I am going to use plain-old 3M 33+ electrical tape. Meets the environmental specs and easier to work with.

3 of my 4 coils came in at 1.3 ohms, the fourth at 1.4, so things are good. I used 2 different color schemes, Red/Black for 1-4 and Blue/Green 2-3, so wiring won't be a problem. I might replace the connectors on the bike's harness with 2 new waterproof connectors. I usually take 2 different styles s that they cannot be connected wrong, but that is later.

Thanks for the tips..... Look for pictures soon.....

10. Likes FinalImpact, buzzbomb liked this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Harness done. Need to find time this week to pull the airbox and install.

12. Likes buzzbomb, FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

DONE! Made the swap yesterday, went for a 50 mile check ride this morning took a 240 mile ride. Subjectively much less vibration, seems to pull better at lower revs. Objectively, fuel mileage is up.

Will continue to report back, first impressions are that there have been improvements in drive-ability.

14. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Likes ShoopCE, buzzbomb, Motogiro, FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks @buzzbomb for the great write up on your COP mod. Between that and the help of Joe Sciavone at Cycleterminals.com the install was a piece of cake. Considering the lousy connections on both sides of the high-tension leads on the stock coils, this seems a worthwhile mod.

16. Thanks buzzbomb thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome trepetti! Glad to hear your happy with the COP mod!

18. Likes Motogiro, FinalImpact liked this post

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast