Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    FZ6771 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swingarm maintenance Do It!!!

The owner's manual says repack the swingarm every 16000 mi (19000 km) . My Kawasaki KLR650's swingarm had little if any grease so i checked the FZ with only 6860 miles it too had no grease . there was some pitting and corrosion I never rode in the rain and it stayed indoors. Because the swingarm bearings and pivot bolt are so close to the exhaust pipe the heat from the mid pipe can melt the grease so its very important to do this before 16000 miles. sorry i didnt take any pics

FZ6771 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Swingarm maintenance Do It!!!

Even if your bike is brand new you should do this now because the guys at the factory doing the assembly are not .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly what does this involve in short?

07 Raven FZ1 (May 06 2009) Micron Full System|O2 Elim|Lars Airbox Mod|Ivan's FCE|BMC|CopperDawg Flies|HEL SS Lines,Speed Bleeders|ASV Black Shorties|Rizoma Rearsets|Sargent/Corbin Rider/Pillion|MRA Vario|Throttlemiester|Satan666 Highway Pegs|Reverse Retro Mirrors|Symtec Heated Grips|Marine Powerlet|Integrated Taillight|Arrow Signals|T-Rex Frame,Crashbobbins F/R Axle Sliders|Targa FE|Power Bronze Rear Fender
    06+ Raven FZ6 (Jul 29 2007 - Apr 27 2010)R6S Forks,SB,SS,HH|K&N
    SOLD!

FZ6771 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazybiker View Post
    exactly what does this involve in short?
    It's very easy just takes time remove exhaust , rear wheel, the bottom bolt on the rear shock then remove the pivot bolt on the swingarm. while your at it put some heat wrap on the mid pipe. this will make the bike run cooler and the swingarm bearings and rear shock will last longer and work better.

5. Thanks buccs40oz, thorpe, Motogiro, mxgolf thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FZ6771 View Post
    It's very easy just takes time remove exhaust , rear wheel, the bottom bolt on the rear shock then remove the pivot bolt on the swingarm. while your at it put some heat wrap on the mid pipe. this will make the bike run cooler and the swingarm bearings and rear shock will last longer and work better.
    ya piece of cake....

7. Thanks teeter, lonesoldier84 thanked for this post
    No Man is an Ireland. Scorphonic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thirty_too View Post
    ya piece of cake....
    So where did I leave my mechanic degree again?? haha!!! I'd rather pay someone to do that...i dont have the time or guts to touch my suspension.

British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

Mods to date: K&N filter, Oxford Heated Grips...REMOVED!!!, Puig Touring Windscreen, Dual HID lights, H7 and H4, 55W 6000K, Meta Alarm....em...soon to have Two Brothers (once money isn't an issue!!)...o and i suppose a PCIII will be required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently upgraded to a 07 swingarm so I should be fine.

07 Raven FZ1 (May 06 2009) Micron Full System|O2 Elim|Lars Airbox Mod|Ivan's FCE|BMC|CopperDawg Flies|HEL SS Lines,Speed Bleeders|ASV Black Shorties|Rizoma Rearsets|Sargent/Corbin Rider/Pillion|MRA Vario|Throttlemiester|Satan666 Highway Pegs|Reverse Retro Mirrors|Symtec Heated Grips|Marine Powerlet|Integrated Taillight|Arrow Signals|T-Rex Frame,Crashbobbins F/R Axle Sliders|Targa FE|Power Bronze Rear Fender
    06+ Raven FZ6 (Jul 29 2007 - Apr 27 2010)R6S Forks,SB,SS,HH|K&N
    SOLD!

FZ6771 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scorphonic View Post
    So where did I leave my mechanic degree again?? haha!!! I'd rather pay someone to do that...i dont have the time or guts to touch my suspension.
    I got a Hayes service manual for $45 shop rates are $75-95 per hour. the service manual makes it very easy. all you need is a few basic tools and you can save a lot of $$$$$$$$$$

Mad like crazy not angry madmanmaigret's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some people are worried about turning a few bolts and I understand. But it is pretty hard to screw something up (I have never ever screwed anything up, ever ) if you pay attention to what you are doing. And you will save a lot of money doing this stuff yourself!

example: a friend of mine went to have his oil changed ('06 Hayabusa) and the shop charged him $189.00!!!! the next time he asked me to help and we did it for under $60.00 and that is including beer! just think of the money you could save....and it is probably quicker for you to do it than bring it to the shop, wait for them or drop it off, etc.
    2008 Cobalt Blue FZ6: Purchased October 31st, 2007
    Mods:Painted: radiator covers, exhaust covers, and rear footpegs. FAZR6 Fender Eliminator. FS6 Sliders W/Motovation Hardware.<wrecked motivation on the way. Minor Airbox Mod. Sticker removal. headlight removal Naked conversion in progress To Be Continued...

GO RED SOX!!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this last year, it's really a simple job with the un-braced swingarm on the FZ. The only awkward part of this is the exhaust system removal, it's about 2 hrs. from start-finish.
    John

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast