Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    meadeam (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suspension improvement and adjustment

I've had my FZ6 for several weeks now, and have put it through it's paces in the twisties. I'm not an advanced rider, but I want more out of the suspension. The front end dives under breaking, and feels unstable in turns. It is very, very soft and springy. It may actually be low on oil; I'll find that out soon.

I've just ordered racetech springs for my weight and riding style, 5wt oil, and cartridge emulators. I will adjust sag front and rear for my weight as well. Have you all had noticeable improvement with the racetech products? Will I need to also upgrade the rear to fully reap the benefits? At some point I think I may end up replacing the rear shock entirely if I find I want more out of the bike. I do plan to do some track days. I don't want to get too carried away with the FZ though, as at some point the solution to everything is to buy and R6.

I'm also replacing the original, circa 2007 tires with a pair of Battlax Hypersport S22. My racer/track day enthusiast friend recommended Dunlop Q4 as his track day tire of choice, and the Battlax as close second for more street than track. I probably won't be on the track as often as he is so I chose the Battlax.

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share with the racetech stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: suspension improvement and adjustment

I have Racetech springs and GVE in my FZ6. The mod made a dramatic difference - the difference between keeping the bike and selling it. In my opinion, the 5wt oil is too light, I'm fairly certain I used 15wt.oil. I used 0.85kg springs filled the forks with an air gap of 130mm and set the GVE at 3 turns. Your weight and riding style will determine your final settings.

I've used Racetech GVE's many times in the past and consider myself an expert at the installation. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 08-14-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

3. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    meadeam (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    I have Racetech springs and GVE in my FZ6. The mod made a dramatic difference - the difference between keeping the bike and selling it. In my opinion, the 5wt oil is too light, I'm fairly certain I used 15wt.oil. I used 0.85kg springs filled the forks with an air gap of 130mm and set the GVE at 3 turns. Your weight and riding style will determine your final settings.

I've used Racetech GVE's many times in the past and consider myself an expert at the installation. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Awesome, thanks! I'm having them installed, but I will probably need to tune them at some point.

I was curious about oil weight... I'm 165lbs and I do like to ride fast on the ridges and hollers here in Kentucky. I wasn't sure if I'd give up too much compliance if I went to 10 or 15 weight. Stock is 2.5, so I figured I would try 5. We'll see.

Thanks again!

5. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When installing the GVE's the damping rods are drilled out so there is NO damping provided by the rods - all damping occurs at the valve. The GVE can pass a lot more oil than the small holes that were in the damping rod. I would strongly suggest 15wt fork oil.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    meadeam (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    When installing the GVE's the damping rods are drilled out so there is NO damping provided by the rods - all damping occurs at the valve. The GVE can pass a lot more oil than the small holes that were in the damping rod. I would strongly suggest 15wt fork oil.
    Ok, sounds like good advice then. I didn't consider that the rod would no longer be dampening.