Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain and sprocket sizes

So I am busy looking for chains and sprockets for my bike. My question would apply to mods and upgrades as it involves changing sizes of parts.

So I read going down in size of front sprocket speeds you up and up in the back makes it more faster. This is not he part I was wondering about.

What I am interested to know is if I go from chain size of 330 to 320 will it make a difference over all or no.

I am still pretty new to figuring these things out so mostly just fishing for info. And if I powder coat a sprocket will it last (provided I donít paint the teeth.) on a steel one.

Thanks ahead of time for replies.

Vrrroooooom! Chain and sprocket sizes Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chain and sprocket sizes

Motorcycle chain size fitment chart - chain selector - chain size explanation

Your stock chain should be 530 some will try to sell you a 520 but I would replace it with the original 530 chain and matching sprockets. Some also change sprocket ratio but again......
    Last edited by Motogiro; 07-31-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deathjam4 View Post
    So I read going down in size of front sprocket speeds you up and up in the back makes it more faster.
    Going to a smaller front sprocket, OR going to a larger rear sprocket provides for quicker acceleration - at the expense of top speed and higher rpm at highway speed. As a general rule of thumb, going up 3 teeth on the rear is the equivalent of going down one tooth on the front (actually counter-shaft) sprocket.

What I am interested to know is if I go from chain size of 330 to 320 will it make a difference over all or no.
    As noted above, stick with the OEM chain type; 530

And if I powder coat a sprocket will it last (provided I donít paint the teeth.) on a steel one.
    Powder coating will eventually wear from the sprocket. Aluminum sprockets are anodized and come in different colors. Aluminum is light (a good thing) and anodization will last as long as the sprocket.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Cafť Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also considering doing something similar. I'm curious on recommendations on the sprocket change to give in a little higher top speed without hurting acceleration too much. Was thinking i would like to get my rpm's down a bit since i live in the country so i will either being cruising 60 or 70-75 on the highway.
    Also does anyone know what to reduce the chain size by or increase when changing? They sell them with single link differences so to save me buying a tool to rip apart the "Forever" chain id like to just buy a new chain with exactly what i will need link wise.
    Whats everyone's thoughts on this?
    Sorry not trying to hijack the post just seemed that the original question was answered well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing the drive ratio in 6th gear (1.0833) and the tire size (180/55-17) we can calculate the expected engine rpm with various secondary drive (sprocket) ratios. The OEM sprocket setup of 46/16 produces a Final Drive Ratio (FDR) of 6.0876:1.

At 60 mph we expect the engine to rev at 4,954 rpm and at 70 at 5,780 rpm.

Removing two teeth from the rear sprocket (44/16) produces an FDR of 5.8229 yielding on rpm of 4,739 @ 60mph and 5,528 @ 70mph. This minor change would not require the chain to be shortened.

What RPM are you looking for at 60 & 70mph?
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Cafť Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes domination2727, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iím really looking to get it down as far as I can without affecting the acceleration too badly. Iím okay if the acceleration takes a bit of a hit just not a massive one. I like quick take offs. Lol

9. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by domination2727 View Post
    Sorry not trying to hijack the post just seemed that the original question was answered well.
    no its alright its along the same line of questioning. I was thinking the same as you since i really don't care about acceleration but nice steady crusie speeds. :P

11. Likes domination2727 liked this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been looking for a chain in the 530 size for my bike. Now I could go oem but that would cost me 300$ here in Canada. So I found the chains on a website called Fortnite.ca but there is so many options I really have no idea what to choose. I mostly just want something good for everyday riding. I am not going to be racing the bike or taking it on track so just something that’s good for in town and highway would be what I want. Also I am a bit interested in the coloured ones may go with a gold one lol.

((Update))

I just noticed that the DID 530 ZVMX Super Street X2-Ring Chain is 42%off for the 120 link is it worth it for me to purchase this or should I go with the DID 530 VX PRO-Street X-Ring Chain chain instead they are both at the same price point minus a couple bucks and was thinking of going for the more expensive one on sale.
    Last edited by deathjam4; 08-12-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get an o-ring or x-ring chain. They require the least amount of maintenance and last the longest. There are many reputable companies that produce them such as RK, DID, EK, and others.

I've never used Fortnine.ca (I believe you have a typo there) because I live in he USA, but their spokesman "Ryan" makes some of the best motorcycle content on the internet. For that reason alone I would support them.
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 08-13-2019 at 06:16 AM.

It's all good! Chain and sprocket sizes trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    Get an o-ring or x-ring chain. They require the least amount of maintenance and last the longest. There are many reputable companies that produce them such as RK, DID, EK, and others.

I've never used Fortnine.ca (I believe you have a typo there) because I live in he UDA, but their spokesman "Ryan" makes some of the best motorcycle content on the internet. For that reason alone I would support them.
    +1 in the Fortnine content. The company presents itself well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, CRG RC2 levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, LED Headlights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies, Techspec tank pads, TownsendsFJR13 aux power port mount

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast