Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    hornetounada (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running stock cans with de-cat pipe

Hi all,

Like I just mentioned in the new members section I am the proud owner of a 2009 Fazer s2 with 1553 miles on the clock

The bike is completely stock and I would like to make it a little louder, but I'm on a tight budget right now.

I'm thinking about removing the catalytic converter (from what I reckon, it's the honeycomb in the middle of the link pipe coming up before the seat) and maintaining the stock cans.

Will the bike be louder (while with a relatively pleasant sound) with this setup? Has anyone tried this mod with the stock cans?

Thanks in advance for any of your insights on this

Best,

João

Vrrroooooom! Running stock cans with de-cat pipe Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Running stock cans with de-cat pipe

to our great forum!
    I don't think you'll get the results you're looking for by removing the midpipe cat. From what I remember, I believe there are other cat materials in the main exhaust manifold on the S2 models. I've modified stock exhaust and although there is some improvement, it would just be better to try for a new or used set of cans.
    Most of all the sound suppression is done in that big heavy can under the tail section. I've never heard a better sound improvement than getting rid of that undertail and replacing it with the many great units made for the FZ6.
    Also when you start removing the cat, you may end up with less backpressure in the exhaust which usually results in people guessing how much to adjust fuel mix or having more expensive dyno tuning.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would gut the cans before gutting the cat. If you don't like the result, replacing the cat can be expensive - and you might not get the result you want.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

5. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced the cat with a test pipe on my S1 with stock exhaust. No significant change in exhaust sound. S2 has additional cats in the headers I believe as well.

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a used mid pipe and cat for my S1 to experiment with this. I knocked out the catalytic element and installed the pipe, only thing I got was a tiny bit louder but massive vibrations. Vibration went away when the stock pipe and cat went back in.

9. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

The critical element missed with the OEM muffler when its innards get ripped out is that everyone leaves the outlet alone. And being thumb sized the velocity is high and all those sound waves are aligned with no freedom to bounce around and get crazy.

So, if you plan to open the OEM muff up for sound, take the next leap open the exits up to 25mm or more and it just might work when those hot gasses have a chance to expand into the atmosphere.

Or buy some used cans!

PS - see signature and search on my build thread for S2 mods. Going back in time has some advantages!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6° Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Wander through here although photobucket took most of the pictures away.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-impact-2.html
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6° Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!