Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lope idle with new exhaust setup

I just installed a two brothers slip on and while I was in there I gutted my cat. Sounds excellent now.
    Problem I'm having is that the idle is crap now. Its super lopey and rough. I can get it to smooth out if I raise the idle to like 1450-1500 rpm, but then the revs don't drop as quick as I'd like after revving.
    Right now I'm running a map I found on sportbikes.net (getting it tuned soon). I find if I lean out the idle mixture quite a bit (from +15 to -5) I can get it to idle steady occasionally, but revving it usually breaks this steadyness and sends it back to being rough.
    Covering half the exit of the mufflers stabilizes the idle completely, so this is clearly an issue of the exhaust being too straight through for good flow at idle.
    Anyone else experienced this issue with a similar setup? If so, what was your remedy (or did you just leave it)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lope idle with new exhaust setup

It has been mentioned on long de-cat discussion/debate threads that if you have a aftermarket exhaust AND de-cat then its going to change the dynamics too much to run normally without a tune/dyno. I am running a k&n air filter with a scorpion exhaust with the cat and still feel that I'm pushing it a little bit anything more like a decat and its tuning time. It does run a bit choppy sometimes on my idle as if it wants to cut out almost but only sometimes.
    Last edited by twobob1; 09-05-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    2009 FZ6 S2 (Power blue) Scorpion exhaust (no baffles) K&N Air filter, Iridium spark plugs, JT Sprockets, D.I.D gold Chain, FZ8 clutch slave arm mod, Dual headlight mod, GIpro gear indicator (white digit) Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, R&G crash bungs, OEM belly pan, Iridium blue custom screen, Clear lens swap turn signals with clear lens led tail light, Led sidelights. Arai axces3 Helmet with Gopro session 4 chin mount & Sena smh-5 bluetooth.

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

What fuel controller are you running?
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

4. Thanks kenh thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your mods, will OFTEN make the idle lopey, generally happens until you start adding fuel controllers to make up for the additional air flow...

Had you NOT gutted the cat, you probably would have kept your smooth idle..

I have open Scorp's (no DB killers), everything else stock, (cats still there), idles dead smooth at 1050.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

6. Thanks kenh thanked for this post
    jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    What fuel controller are you running?
    Running a PCV.

jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Your mods, will OFTEN make the idle lopey, generally happens until you start adding fuel controllers to make up for the additional air flow...

Had you NOT gutted the cat, you probably would have kept your smooth idle..

I have open Scorp's (no DB killers), everything else stock, (cats still there), idles dead smooth at 1050.
    I have a PCV, and I tried enriching the mixture (already at plus 15) and it didn't seem to help (just made the loping more labored). This makes me wonder if a dyno tune will be able to fix it.

Vrrroooooom! Lope idle with new exhaust setup Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some fuel controllers will not allow fuel modification below a specific RPM because of emission laws. Make sure your PCV (Which I think it does) is actually allowing a richer mix at the idle RPM which is where you're experiencing the lope. The FZ6 will lean out a little with Two Bros even when the CAT is retained so at idling without the CAT the engine is seeing a big black hole.
    It really needs to be on the tread mill to see what the numbers/ratios are.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

10. Thanks kenh thanked for this post
    jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Some fuel controllers will not allow fuel modification below a specific RPM because of emission laws. Make sure your PCV (Which I think it does) is actually allowing a richer mix at the idle RPM which is where you're experiencing the lope. The FZ6 will lean out a little with Two Bros even when the CAT is retained so at idling without the CAT the engine is seeing a big black hole.
    It really needs to be on the tread mill to see what the numbers/ratios are.
    It does allow modification of low rpm values, I can tell because I can elicit a response by changing the parameters, I just can't fix the issue. Hopefully a Dyno tune with a sniffer will sort it out.

12. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Ride Like Your Invisible! Lope idle with new exhaust setup kenh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am running a Two Bro setup with a cat delete pipe with no modifications required. Runs great and idles around 9. I would proceed with a dyno tune at a local shop to sort it.out. Any modifications must be evaluated on a risk versus reward basis, but if things to far out of whack you will be just chasin' your tail to figure it out. Please post up when you get it sorted out, we really do want you to enjoy the 6.

14. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kenh View Post
    I am running a Two Bro setup with a cat delete pipe with no modifications required. Runs great and idles around 9. I would proceed with a dyno tune at a local shop to sort it.out. Any modifications must be evaluated on a risk versus reward basis, but if things to far out of whack you will be just chasin' your tail to figure it out. Please post up when you get it sorted out, we really do want you to enjoy the 6.
    And both of you have earlier bikes (S1).

Have you tried just running the stock map (load zero map) or simply unplug controller from injector and plug injectors directly to ECU.

Do the TB sync with vacuum gauge and set the idle speed and vacuum to spec. See what happens!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

16. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast