Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lope idle with new exhaust setup

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    And both of you have earlier bikes (S1).

Have you tried just running the stock map (load zero map) or simply unplug controller from injector and plug injectors directly to ECU.

Do the TB sync with vacuum gauge and set the idle speed and vacuum to spec. See what happens!
    That is what I was thinking of doing next (the TB sync that is, already tried the zero map).
    That raises a question though, with the idle jumping around, how should I set the idle vacuum to spec? Presumably I won't have a stable reading. I suppose I could either set the idle high enough that it smooths out (but then the spec is meaningless), or I could have someone cover the exhaust enough to add the back pressure needed to smooth the idle, but that would probably also change the vacuum level from reality. Anyone got any ideas how to proceed?

2. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You may see one or two cylinders WAY OUT of sync. Adjust those accordingly and get them close.

I doubt the major lope is sync related but a sync certainly can't hurt.

As your not getting very far with adjusting the controller, if you have DB killers, install them (for some back pressure), that should help eliminate the lope.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I wasn't saying the sync is the fix, more so the RPM & Desired vacuum when set to spec establishes a pretty close AFR value and that should take care of it.

In short whatever device you use you will be visually averaging the values. And once closer it could lesson the severity of the lope.

Make sense?

For that matter simply go turn them all like a 1/2 or 1 full turn in or out and see if that helps smooth it out. If not, put it back.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I wasn't saying the sync is the fix, more so the RPM & Desired vacuum when set to spec establishes a pretty close AFR value and that should take care of it.

In short whatever device you use you be visually averaging the values. And once closer it could lesson the severity of the lope.

Make sense?

For that matter simply go turn them all like a 1/2 or 1 full turn in or out and see if that helps smooth it out. If not, put it back.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update, I set the vaccum and synced the throttle bodies, helped a little but it's certainly still there. Interestingly enough, while messing with the screws I got the idle to be fully smooth, but the vacuum was way above spec (like 26cmHg), and when I set it back to spec it returned to the lope. Maybe that means I needed to add more fuel than I expected with the PCV.
    Anyone have any idea what the effects of running with the vacuum that high above spec would be?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You won't get the vacuum to Yamaha spec's. I'm at sea level and no way will it get close.

Adjust the sync so all are even and running smooth, you won't hurt anything.

As posted earlier, the sync is good for up to about 4,000 RPMs.

*Hopefully, no one messed with the throttle shaft adjustment screw between each of the two throttle bodies..

Re-adjust those puppies!
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

jamesf (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    You won't get the vacuum to Yamaha spec's. I'm at sea level and no way will it get close.

Adjust the sync so all are even and running smooth, you won't hurt anything.

As posted earlier, the sync is good for up to about 4,000 RPMs.

*Hopefully, no one messed with the throttle shaft adjustment screw between each of the two throttle bodies..

Re-adjust those puppies!
    I did get the vacuum to Yamaha spec by setting the vacuum of cylinder 1 with a vac gauge and then using the homemade manometer trick to sync the others to cylinder 1.
    I'm also at sea level, are you suggesting that I ignore the actual vacuum spec and just get it running smooth and well sync'd regardless of what the actual pressure is?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesf View Post
    I did get the vacuum to Yamaha spec by setting the vacuum of cylinder 1 with a vac gauge and then using the homemade manometer trick to sync the others to cylinder 1.
    I'm also at sea level, are you suggesting that I ignore the actual vacuum spec and just get it running smooth and well sync'd regardless of what the actual pressure is?

YES.

That's exactly what I did to one approx. 8 years ago.

Works fine, plug colors fine, idles smooth (at 1050), approx. 44 MPG around town, runs like a raped ape..

Also, re-check and adjust at approx 4,000 RPMs(no higher-useless anything above).

You'll likely see one cylinder different than the others.
    You can adjust that up or down and still get well within spec's at idle. The closer at 4K and idle, the better.

You'll very likely feel and see a smoother engine as well (mirrors actually are visible!).

*I used a Morgan Carbtune however.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-11-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    Scott

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any updates?
    Scott

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

The baseline info helps. My data logger has an O2 sniffer so you can see the live o2 stats like the AFR.

I recall looking at that, a vacuum gauge and the morgan unit but could never kill the lope after jacking the timing up 6.5 from stock. In short at idle its way over advanced but cleans up at 1150 or so.

The main thing to look for is stalling on hot days after decelerating. If it does you need to richen it up!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

13. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12