Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Go Naked- Its liberating Delkevic - Best bang for the buck exhaust? agf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Delkevic - Best bang for the buck exhaust?

RE:Re-packing because they get significantly louder? Looks like AGF below has had to dance with packing his Delk often due to it being loud. He also said he wears ear plugs. Is this exhaust really THAT loud? I've never been on a bike that has had a very loud exhaust.

I try to keep sweet with my neighbours, hence trying to keep the noise down. My reason for opening the can was primarily because the general consensus is that all cans except scorps need re-packing at some point.
    I actually love the sound of the cans with the stock baffle, and I would love to run it with no baffles at all but I think its tempting fate.
    I wear earplugs to protect my hearing, that's due to wind noise more than anything. I lost my hearing in my right ear due to a viral infection a few years ago so Iwant to maintain whats left. I do radio show on music so the hearing I have, I really need to keep!
    cheers
    Adrian

MODS:
    Delkovics, OGGY KNOBS, tank protector, rim tape, Sharkskin grip buddies, FAZR6's decals & FE, swingarm plugs, HVMP Bar-Ends, AMHeadlight Protector, BEOWULF Rad Guard, Stebel horn, HEALTECH Gear ind., tender wiring, HEL s/s brake lines, JPR Levers, KN's clutch mod, custom seat, oso2k rearsets, townsendFJR1300's lock bracket, Barkbusters, carbon front fender extender, https://www.facebook.com/adrian.flint1

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought the Delkevic Hopefully will be here by the end of the week.

I know the Scorpions are higher quality and last longer but after reviews, cost, availability, audio clips I think the Delks will suit my needs. First time getting a loud exhaust so this will be a learning lesson at the least. Very excited to get something beside the sewing machine sound

4. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dunno how those pipes sound, BUT once installed, it's a VERY different bike (for the better)!

And it won't sound like a sewing machine anymore, guaranteed!!

Please post back once installed!
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

6. Likes MIJ_FZ6 liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will be smiling like a Cheshire cat non stop on that first ride. If you were in the uk I would have said they were the wrong choice but I think a lot of you Americans get them and are happy as larry. Not a bad exhaust I don't think but they just lack the homolgation stamp that uk police like to see if they stop you because your cans are loud. Glad you didn't get the eBay china ones, that would of been a terrible choice.
    2009 FZ6 S2 (Power blue) Scorpion exhaust (no baffles) K&N Air filter, Iridium spark plugs, JT Sprockets, D.I.D gold Chain, FZ8 clutch slave arm mod, Dual headlight mod, GIpro gear indicator (white digit) Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, R&G crash bungs, OEM belly pan, Iridium blue custom screen, Clear lens swap turn signals with clear lens led tail light, Led sidelights. Arai axces3 Helmet with Gopro session 4 chin mount & Sena smh-5 bluetooth.

MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I plan on changing the Co setting, maybe somewhere in the 15 or 20 range: https://www.600riders.com/forum/how-...an-richen.html

Edit - Speaking of adjusting the Co, I'm having a hard time finding a hand holding tutorial with pictures. I've got this: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post628691

Here are the instructions I was given by a Yamaha tech when I adjusted my CO setting.

Ground the yellow/red wire from the 6 wire fuel injector sub harness (under the fuel tank) then it will allow you to access the co adjustment. So turn the key off, push both buttons on the dash, then turn the key on "diag" should show up on the dash, then release and push them again and "co" should show up then you can use the two buttons, one to scroll from on section to the next and the other button to adjust.
    In the service manual (don't want to post it due to copyright), it looks like the harness is on page 7-4 / 7-5. Here are some photos I could scrounge up. Does this look about right?

Delkevic - Best bang for the buck exhaust?-capture-png

Delkevic - Best bang for the buck exhaust?-capture2-png

Quote Originally Posted by twobob1 View Post
    You will be smiling like a Cheshire cat non stop on that first ride. If you were in the uk I would have said they were the wrong choice but I think a lot of you Americans get them and are happy as larry. Not a bad exhaust I don't think but they just lack the homolgation stamp that uk police like to see if they stop you because your cans are loud. Glad you didn't get the eBay china ones, that would of been a terrible choice.
    Haha this made me laugh. Not going to lie, I had to look up what a Cheshire cat is and "Happy as Larry". Ha, I love English humor. Never heard these terms here.

The China ones were tempting, could get the setup for $180 shipped but it's just not worth it. Especially since I plan on keeping the bike.
    Last edited by MIJ_FZ6; 07-25-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why are you changing the CO settings? Is there an issue?

I have Open Scorps and never changed anything..

Be aware, you may induce a lopy idle, backfiring (from excess fuel), etc

BTW, RECORD the original settings for later use, VERY IMPORTANT...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-25-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Why are you changing the CO settings? Is there an issue?

I have Open Scorps and never changed anything..

Be aware, you may induce a lopy idle, backfiring (from excess fuel), etc

BTW, RECORD the original settings for later use, VERY IMPORTANT...
    I may be miss informed. I read a lot of posts that adjusting the CO will add a few HP, smooth out idle, less popping on decel, smoother throttle, and cool the engine a bit more. Here are some (older) posts:

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post628789
    https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post488181
    https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post202665
    https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post296278
    https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tml#post126859

What do you think?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IME, just pipes don't require any CO adjustments. Add an aftermarket filter, remove the CAT, your probably going to end up buying a fuel controller.

If you read thru the posts de-cel ""Popping", with the higher CO #'s is common. "Loping" while idling occurs as well. I don't have any of that. Should I want to adjust those settings, I'd have the bike on a dyno to see WHAT YOUR ACTUALLY DOING to the engine (besides loosing mileage).

You can certainly experiment with the #'s (again RECORD / SAVE) the originals (all bikes are slightly different). I'd strongly suggest install the pipes, ride it, then if you want to play with the settings (basically hap-hazardly) go ahead. You should at the very least keep an eye on the spark plugs (engines NOT running too rich) from proper operation...

Also to consider, what RPM's are you picking up HP? Higher, like over 10K? First gear at 10k is about 50 MPH, second, your in triple digits..

Just my 2cts of course, do one thing at a time should you have an issue, you know the last thing is probably your issue..

Just as a side note: I've had my Scorps on over 20,000 miles,(8 years) stock exhaust otherwise, stock air cleaner. The engine has a rock steady idle, NO popping on de-cel, about 45 MPG around town, bike runs great, couldn't ask for more
    Scott

12. Thanks MIJ_FZ6 thanked for this post
    MIJ_FZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with one thing at a time. I'll leave the CO numbers alone after installing the exhaust. I don't plan on dynoing the bike but if it comes to it ill look into it. If I feel there is room for improvement or I am magically graced with an afternoon to tinker I may experiment; recording the stock CO#s as well. I have a handwritten change log of all the changes I have made on the bike, big or small, just for this reason.

As far as RPMs, I generally do not bang on the bike. Generally shift under 8K. Try to get out of first pretty quick, generally around 6K. Ride second/third to about 7K and cruise around 4-5K rpms. Of course everyone once in a while there is a bit of spirited riding but because of the power and traffic laws its very rare

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think you'll find, with the new pipes, your RPMs generally will be lower...

With the "new" sound, it's going to feel like your going considerably faster...

Sounds like you got a great plan together. Please post back after your pipes are on and future mods!
    Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast