FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: Final Impact Winter project; playing w/trigger

On the topic of mods and keeping the bike reliable, throw a ZIPTIE around the caps boot to reduce the strain and keep the vibes from loosening the connection at the wires core to the caps threaded conductor.

See this thread for details.... CLICK IMAGE!!!

A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!l
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: Final Imppact Winter project; playing w/trigger

I'm getting ready to park the bike for the winter but I wanted to say this is a value added mod and to CAUTION THOSE RUNNING STOCK CR9EK plugs.

To get the most from it and reduce the risk of damage to the bike I would suggest anyone doing this to either A) run the CR9E plug or B) if you run the bike hard, toss in the CR10E OR C) run the CR9EIX. You just don't need the whole plug sticking in the combustion chamber like the stock plug does.

The CR10E (6264) is a colder plug (NGK = higher ## = COLDER HEAT RANGE). I've been running it for the last 2000 miles and they stay clean and seem to reduce detonation on take off from steep hills. So, for how I ride and the little tweaks I've done this is a good match. If someone really wants to look harder they could say the none "K" plugs reduce the C/R slightly and this is true. It is also true of the precious metal plugs...

Compare the nose for exposed area of a stock EK vs E plug:

CR9EK: lots of bare electrode to stay hot in the combustion chamber:
    Attachment 55515

CR9E: much less in the chamber
    Attachment 55516

CR9EIX:
    Attachment 55517

CR10's look basically the same but are colder than the 9's.

Some NGK PN's

CR9EK, 4548, As Sold Gap: 0.032"
    CR9E, 6263, As Sold Gap: 0.028"
    CR10E, 6264, As Sold Gap: 0.028"
    CR9EIX, 3521, As Sold Gap:.028" (So it says)...
    CR10EIX, 6482, As Sold Gap:.028"

• For Champion, Autolite and Bosch, the higher the number, the hotter the plug.
    • For NGK, Denso and Pulstar, the higher the number, the colder the plug.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    I'm getting ready to park the bike for the winter but I wanted to say this is a value added mod and to CAUTION THOSE RUNNING STOCK CR9EK plugs.

To get the most from it and reduce the risk of damage to the bike I would suggest anyone doing this to either A) run the CR9E plug or B) if you run the bike hard, toss in the CR10E OR C) run the CR9EIX. You just don't need the whole plug sticking in the combustion chamber like the stock plug does.

The CR10E (6264) is a colder plug (NGK = higher ## = COLDER HEAT RANGE). I've been running it for the last 2000 miles and they stay clean and seem to reduce detonation on take off from steep hills. So, for how I ride and the little tweaks I've done this is a good match. If someone really wants to look harder they could say the none "K" plugs reduce the C/R slightly and this is true. It is also true of the precious metal plugs...

Compare the nose for exposed area of a stock EK vs E plug:

CR9EK: lots of bare electrode to stay hot in the combustion chamber:
    Attachment 55515

CR9E: much less in the chamber
    Attachment 55516

CR9EIX:
    Attachment 55517

CR10's look basically the same but are colder than the 9's.

Some NGK PN's

CR9EK, 4548, As Sold Gap: 0.032"
    CR9E, 6263, As Sold Gap: 0.028"
    CR10E, 6264, As Sold Gap: 0.028"
    CR9EIX, 3521, As Sold Gap:.028" (So it says)...
    CR10EIX, 6482, As Sold Gap:.028"

• For Champion, Autolite and Bosch, the higher the number, the hotter the plug.
    • For NGK, Denso and Pulstar, the higher the number, the colder the plug.
    Thanks for the info! I've got CR9EIX plugs waiting at home for the next riding season (and hopefully a timing advance as well!).
    2004 FZ6 - Yamaha Blue, Naked Conversion - Buell Style, Two Brothers Aluminum Exhaust, Ming-moto Levers - Blue/Black, BD43 Dual Headlight Mod, Shogun Frame Sliders, R6 Fork and Caliper Conversion, 2003 R1 Rear Shock, Power Commander 3, Airbox mod, 5 Ignition Timing Advance, NGK Iridium Plugs

Coming Soon! Cat delete

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Exhaust tone after Ignition Advance and De-Cat. Same 2Bro Exhaust, same recording device... Crisis on her way to hibernation/winter rest

SoundCloud MP3 Audio 2014-11

From 2013 --> Two Bro Sound Clip (mp3) from FZ6

Next step - see if ECU unleashed will drop the Group Package price or give out specific details about what they're doing...
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

5. Thanks ChanceCoats123, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question. You have mentioned pinging during various starts on hills and such. Is that a result of low quality gas, or does this occur often? I'm very interested in advancing my timing this winter, but I want to go for reliability and minimize adverse effects like pinging. Do you think 3-4 would be a fair compromise between stock timing and too much advance?
    2004 FZ6 - Yamaha Blue, Naked Conversion - Buell Style, Two Brothers Aluminum Exhaust, Ming-moto Levers - Blue/Black, BD43 Dual Headlight Mod, Shogun Frame Sliders, R6 Fork and Caliper Conversion, 2003 R1 Rear Shock, Power Commander 3, Airbox mod, 5 Ignition Timing Advance, NGK Iridium Plugs

Coming Soon! Cat delete

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I'd say that's fair (4). Its the result of high load and low RPM ON a HOT engine. Even stock i could induce it during takeoff under some situations and I run brand name gas always. Now its Plus grade 89/90 octane and Super 92/93 when its >85F as the air box gets heat soaked so easy.. perhaps its time for some insulation!

More than anything I like to tinker so its something to do!

That said, If you're fuel controller allows for temperature compensation you should be golden.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

8. Thanks ChanceCoats123 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say that's fair (4). Its the result of high load and low RPM ON a HOT engine. Even stock i could induce it during takeoff under some situations and I run brand name gas always. Now its Plus grade 89/90 octane and Super 92/93 when its >85F as the air box gets heat soaked so easy.. perhaps its time for some insulation!

More than anything I like to tinker so its something to do! Final Impact Winter project; playing w/trigger

That said, If you're fuel controller allows for temperature compensation you should be golden.
    Awesome. I use 91/93 always (I'm a fan of Mobile and Shell). I've never had any issues with the bike stock so hopefully I don't run into any after a small advance. When I've got the bike apart this winter, I might put some insulation on the airbox. I've used aluminum-backed air duct insulation for cold temperatures before, but I imagine it will also work for higher temperature settings.

Coming Soon! Cat delete

10. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a while since I checked this thread. Lots of great info, thank you for taking the time to post your results. I will most definitely be doing this mod. We have 98 octane pump fuel here in Aus, so happy days. My bike will need a power commander and custom tuning to suit the cam upgrade. Will be nice to see the power gains. I'm taking the bike to get a baseline power run next week.

EDIT: Big mod session starting in about 2 weeks time.
    I JET

1991 Yamaha 50
    1989 Yamaha 80
    1989 Honda XR80
    1988 Honda XR100
    1993 Honda XR250
    1997 Honda XR400
    2007 KTM 450 EXC
    1994 Honda RVF 400
    2010 BMW S1000RR
    2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple
    2012 BMW S1000RR
    2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
    2014 KTM 1290 SuperdukeR
    current bikes
    2010 KTM 990 Supermoto
    2014 MV Agusta Rivale 800
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 Cup Race Bike

12. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its the result of high load and low RPM ON a HOT engine. Even stock i could induce it during takeoff under some situations and I run brand name gas always. Now its Plus grade 89/90 octane and Super 92/93 when its >85F as the air box gets heat soaked so easy.. perhaps its time for some insulation!
    Just read this and am very surprised...

I run name brand Regular grade fuel. A good part of the year its very warm(hot) and humid down here.

My bike has NEVER had ANY detonation, even hot.

I can shift into 6th at 3,000 RPM (even as low as 2K) nail it, and the bike will simply pull/ accelerate, without issue/complaints, very smooth actually..

I do run RingFree occasionally (in ALL my machines). Perhaps, that's keeping any excess carbon out and the compression to where it should be.

The bottle is expensive however, its mixed at 10 gallons to 1 oz... Well worth the investment IMO. Might be worth a try...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

14. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Just read this and am very surprised...

I run name brand Regular grade fuel. A good part of the year its very warm(hot) and humid down here.
    I don't think you'll find some carbon layer in this engine... No way.

I suspect most of it is how I ride. I add little throttle during take off, barely raising it off idle during clutch engagement. I only slip it when there's a need for it.

Key point; Details matter and the required maintenance just made it that much smoother. The only vibes I feel are the tires on the road and what I found amazing was that after the valve lash adjustment, not only is another layer of vibes gone, but it also helped the throttle chop and throttle response. Both are improved upon. Also note that backfire pops are reduced and it sounds less raspy in person.

I do have to admit that the CO adjustment is too much at idle as I can't lean it out enough and to keep the RPM at 1100 w/out a little variation as its simply too rich.
    - TB sync screws (X4) are backed out nearly as far as they go.
    - Main idle speed screw effective range is 1000 to 1100, cause its idling off the IACV sync settings.
    - Plus its still running rich, hence the uneven idle.
    - The perk is that it pulls off the line and has damn good throttle response!
    - Take note how crisp and smooth it sounds. Its just better....

I'm happy, although I still want more torque!

Some audio samples via MP3... Notice Tick is gone from valve adjust.
    0:00 - 1:30 = warm start and warm up - no tick!
    3:15 = pull from 4500 to 12K ** Throttle response **is the best its ever been!
    4:00 = hail storm trashes road! Cruise till parked.
    7:10 - foot slipped, double clutch
    7:20 = Walk around - tick is gone!
    CLICK --> Soundcloud MP3 After Valve Adj

Bottom line: these engines CAN be very smooth and vibration free!!!
    For all the tickers out there, adjust your valves - not CCT.
    Fix the plug caps
    General tune up
    - Advance timing, add fuel, and maybe that test pipe.
    Last edited by FinalImpact; 12-01-2014 at 08:08 AM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

16. Thanks ChanceCoats123 thanked for this post

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast