Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Headlights And understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by deathjam4 View Post
    Yea more them likely is the case. I think i get how its working and think i can work with this.. Both reflectors are the same just one has a different opening then the other. So what ill do is the orignal h4 socket ill remove one power lead and route it to the h7 socket. Ill modafiy or change the h7 socket to an h4 socket or a simalure bulb type just with 2 elements and make the high beam side attach to the h7 for highbeam and expand the low beam wire to the 4 socket so it only lights the low beam on the h4 bulb. I think that should work. When i do it ill post pictures especialy if it works well
    I’d be highly interested to see how that works out. I just ordered a LED h4 and h7. But if I can get it to run 2 H4 bulbs low/high that would be way better.

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont have to do it but it defantly makes sense to me to do it. I just ordered anouther h4 light that comes with adaptor plates which makes my life easier. I want two of the same bulbs but for now ill settle for two different one. Ill have the led in about a day or so and ill wire it up at that point. Should be a rather simple wiring job i figure. Just need 2 wires. Ill document it all step by step so any one can do it easily.if i add a relay i can make it shut down the low beam. I might have one i can try it out and see how it works since some people would prefer the low off for heat reasons. Ill post again when its done cheers till then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THe patterns of the L and R reflectors are definitely different for high and low beam.
    IIRC, the overseas versions of the FZ6 where they drive on the left side of the road have the low and high beams opposite of how they are here. What you may be able to do is source a headlight assembly from an overseas bike, and swap the refector housings for two H4 bulbs. You’d also need to redo the wiring harness.

LED’s don’t have “filaments”. On the LED H4 bulbs I have used, they have a low-beam side and a high beam side. Yes, on high beam they are both illuminated. I don’t think that’s anything to worry about in regards to needing to change the harness. Halogens are designed to use only one filament to not overheat and draw too much current. LEDs shouldn’t have this problem. Even the more expensive ones I’ve used are designed like this.
    Matt
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Sold

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Headlights And understanding. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by domination2727 View Post
    So I would need to get this mod if Iím swapping out to LED bulbs then to keep both filaments from running all the time?
    I noticed that when I ran LEDs, when the high beam circuit was active both the low beam and high beam LEDs were active at the same time even though the low beam supply voltage was not present. This may be the way all H4 LED headlamps work so the would be no reason to shut off the low beam supply voltage as you do with the H4 halogen.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

6. Likes domination2727 liked this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the bulbs are built that way to provide more light. I was playing with it a little and found that both leads are lighting up my led bulb on both connectors it lit up both high and low. Ill play with it more when i have more time. But i did still end up dremaling the bulb connector any ways to the right shape. It worked alright but even tho it looks the same as the other housing there is obviously some issues with focus as the low beam side is like you said not focused lile the highbeam. I have no issue with this but i just need to figure out how to get these leds to light only low and only high. Will take a volt meter to it soon as i get the time to rewire. Headlights And understanding.-20190810_201932-jpgHeadlights And understanding.-20190810_202419-jpg

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the bulbs are built that way to provide more light. I was playing with it a little and found that both leads are lighting up my led bulb on both connectors it lit up both high and low. Ill play with it more when i have more time. But i did still end up dremaling the bulb connector any ways to the right shape. It worked alright but even tho it looks the same as the other housing there is obviously some issues with focus as the low beam side is like you said not focused lile the highbeam. I have no issue with this but i just need to figure out how to get these leds to light only low and only high. Will take a volt meter to it soon as i get the time to rewire. Headlights And understanding.-20190810_201932-jpgHeadlights And understanding.-20190810_202419-jpg
    Make sure your connections are correct. There should only be 1 LED section lit when there is only the low beam signal applied. Then both should light with the high beam signal applied. If both are lit all the time something is wrong.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea i know which is which but the bulbs i have are running high and low on both plugs so they are likely wired for power on both or expect a certain amount of voltage to switch bettwen high and low. Which may be the case. Ill test it more in future but this one turned out easy enough. All i did was mod the bulb to make it fit. If i cant make the bulb change high and low ill just say screw it and leave it. At least for now. To many other things that need my attention right now. Ill update as i do this mod tho.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea i know which is which but the bulbs i have are running high and low on both plugs so they are likely wired for power on both or expect a certain amount of voltage to switch bettwen high and low. Which may be the case. Ill test it more in future but this one turned out easy enough. All i did was mod the bulb to make it fit. If i cant make the bulb change high and low ill just say screw it and leave it. At least for now. To many other things that need my attention right now. Ill update as i do this mod tho.
    The unit is defective. There should be one LED for just the low beam. It should not be both LEDs at the same time while on low beam. Beside the reflector design you may end up high beamiing oncoming traffic. There are a few negatives that apply to that scenario.

I had that happen on a replacement unit for a warranty exchange. There is a defective supply unit. Mine were 24 volt secondary voltage to the LED unit. I replaced the supply and it worked correctly. Your set up may be different but regardless there can be a bunch of defective units with reversed diodes.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Return is whats in order ill order a new one and just run an h7 for now. Not much sense in me mucking with it at the moment. Mostly just want to keep some of that excess wattage i was losing to the hologens. Defantly defective light tho. It has a box in the line and i suspect that is where my issue is.

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I just read through the recent posts and I think I understand this a lot better now. Thank you everyone that has commented and provided information! You guys are awesome!!

14. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast