Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vrrroooooom! Headlights And understanding. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Headlights And understanding.

I thought that that's what you meant but I just never heard of a stereo capacitor. That device would be installed closer to the device, like a sub woofer amp, so that the instant high current draw would have less effect on the circuit and shared devices on that same supply line.

As mentioned proper H4 switching would be a good start. The H7 socket in the FZ6 reflector would also have to be modified to facilitate the H7. All in all the reflectors are not universal and so you might need to re aim the light assemblies for better vision.

Also keep in mind your regulator is a shunt type and so any additional charge produced is dissipated as heat by the regulator/rectifier assembly. I still think series regulation can be accomplished on all bikes and would have better service life than overheating stators etc.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been running "bug eye" head lights on my FZ for the last year. Both hi & lo beams are always on. The LED's that I'm running have a large heat sink and fan cooling and they seem to tolerate both circuits being on at the same time. The only oddity I see is that when the lights are cool there is no indication of the high beams in the instrument cluster, but as soon as they warm up (just a few minutes) my blue high beam indicator goes on.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea my plans were to do a full led conversion. I am pro led for everything i have every light in my house led and it saves me a ton of money on hydro. I even got the bar lights for my kitchen lol.

I have a few ideas i might apply when i have the time and money but first step is to slowly replace bulbs till i have full led conversion. Once i get my headlights in ill see how much voltage difference ill have.

Vrrroooooom! Headlights And understanding. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did have LED headlamps but the failure rate on them was too high so I went back to Halogen. All else on my SV is LED
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea i have that issue with the cheaper led lights. Tho i have had a set of purple 26$ led lights constantly run daily in my honda covic and they only recently went out after 2 years. It really comes down to how much abuse they can take. Some are good and some are bad.

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    I thought that that's what you meant but I just never heard of a stereo capacitor. That device would be installed closer to the device, like a sub woofer amp, so that the instant high current draw would have less effect on the circuit and shared devices on that same supply line.

As mentioned proper H4 switching would be a good start. The H7 socket in the FZ6 reflector would also have to be modified to facilitate the H7. All in all the reflectors are not universal and so you might need to re aim the light assemblies for better vision.

Also keep in mind your regulator is a shunt type and so any additional charge produced is dissipated as heat by the regulator/rectifier assembly. I still think series regulation can be accomplished on all bikes and would have better service life than overheating stators etc.
    I did not see this before hand but yea its a little silly to just blow off extra voltage. Ill be looking at this at a later date to see what i can do to stabalize the voltage. Hell i may just hook up a belt and alrenator lol i am sure i can figure something out on that end of things. Other wise i just have to play with what i get lol

deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first led lamp today and installed and showed a profile of each for every one and took a comparison shot. So i also found out the running light is always on except for when the bike is not currently running. And the h4 i replaced simply runs both filaments no matter what. I also noted when my hand was in the focused beam of either light you can feel the heat some foot away the bulb produces. And the led was much cooler then the hologen for sure.
    Headlights And understanding.-20190809_153027-jpgHeadlights And understanding.-20190809_153158-jpgHeadlights And understanding.-20190809_153410-jpgHeadlights And understanding.-20190809_153710_hdr-jpg

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was trying to tell you in post #12. Without any modification to the wiring harness, both filaments will be used at the same time. So far mine have survived. I think the internal fan in each LED have kept 'em alive.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    deathjam4 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    That's what I was trying to tell you in post #12. Without any modification to the wiring harness, both filaments will be used at the same time. So far mine have survived. I think the internal fan in each LED have kept 'em alive.
    Yea more them likely is the case. I think i get how its working and think i can work with this.. Both reflectors are the same just one has a different opening then the other. So what ill do is the orignal h4 socket ill remove one power lead and route it to the h7 socket. Ill modafiy or change the h7 socket to an h4 socket or a simalure bulb type just with 2 elements and make the high beam side attach to the h7 for highbeam and expand the low beam wire to the 4 socket so it only lights the low beam on the h4 bulb. I think that should work. When i do it ill post pictures especialy if it works well

12. Likes domination2727 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I would need to get this mod if I’m swapping out to LED bulbs then to keep both filaments from running all the time?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast