sensory_tentacles (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Splicing a relay into licence plate light

Hey guys

Darren here, first time forum poster.

Bike's a Fz6n 2007 and I'm down in Australia.

Just wondering which of these licence plate light wires (blue or black - seen on my middle finger in the third pic) I should use to splice for my accessories relay. I'll splice it higher up the loom so it's protected under the seat, not in the cowling (inside the loom was wet )

The setup will be :
    Engine on source (licence plate light) to relay to fuze box, with power from the battery.

Also should the earth from the accessories circuit go back to the battery negative terminal or someplace on the bike frame?

Thanks!!
    Darren
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-ojddhm7-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-hcqyxh4-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-dsbpltk-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-8mfkovy-jpg
    Last edited by sensory_tentacles; 01-12-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: More pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Splicing a relay into licence plate light

According to the FSM, Item 51 on lighting drawing is the License Plate light. From the fuse is shows the power as being a Blue wire with a red trace.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Cafť Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

3. Thanks sensory_tentacles thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro, sensory_tentacles liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Splicing a relay into licence plate light Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sensory_tentacles View Post
    Hey guys

Darren here, first time forum poster.

Bike's a Fz6n 2007 and I'm down in Australia.

Just wondering which of these licence plate light wires (blue or black - seen on my middle finger in the third pic) I should use to splice for my accessories relay. I'll splice it higher up the loom so it's protected under the seat, not in the cowling (inside the loom was wet )

The setup will be :
    Engine on source (licence plate light) to relay to fuze box, with power from the battery.

Also should the earth from the accessories circuit go back to the battery negative terminal or someplace on the bike frame?

Thanks!!
    Darren
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-ojddhm7-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-hcqyxh4-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-dsbpltk-jpg
    Splicing a relay into licence plate light-8mfkovy-jpg
    I answered a pm you sent to me yesterday. If you do a search on the forum you can find threads under grip relay or accessory relay. I think most use the red with white tracer wire at the starter relay located on top of the battery case. This wire will be more protected from the elements and physically closer to where you might mount your relay a fuse block assembly.

Sent from Moto's Motorola
    Last edited by Motogiro; 01-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

5. Thanks sensory_tentacles thanked for this post
    sensory_tentacles (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Yep Clif saw that and cheers for the tip - I didn't want to mess with the starter relay though in case my splice was bad. I'd rather the light go out

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sensory_tentacles View Post
    Thanks guys. Yep Clif saw that and cheers for the tip - I didn't want to mess with the starter relay though in case my splice was bad. I'd rather the light go out
    Choosing the light failure over the starter failure is debatable... Lol. You should have the skill set or have someone with the skill set complete the job. Your tail lamp may be more important.....

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

It's all good! Splicing a relay into licence plate light trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Choosing the light failure over the starter failure is debatable... Lol. You should have the skill set or have someone with the skill set complete the job. Your tail lamp may be more important.....

So my 2 cents. I used a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 to add accessories to my FZ6. Hot and ground to the battery, tap the headlight wire for switched power, and you get 6 hot and 6 ground connections. The hots can easily be configured for always on or switched and each tap is individually fused. Neat, organized and safe. Better than tapping into the original wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, Givi tank bag and topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Motodynamic tail light, Grip Puppies

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trepetti View Post
    So my 2 cents. I used a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 to add accessories to my FZ6. Hot and ground to the battery, tap the headlight wire for switched power, and you get 6 hot and 6 ground connections. The hots can easily be configured for always on or switched and each tap is individually fused. Neat, organized and safe. Better than tapping into the original wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I believe he's going to use a slave relay to pass current from the battery to a fuse block assembly. The slave relay coil source voltage is a very low amount of current so you basically have a few points to pick off the keyed signal.

The headlamp is an excellent source to use as a relay control in that it will only be active after the engine has started. This gives a little more available current to start the motor.
    That FZ-1 unit is really trick!
    Last edited by Motogiro; 01-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Go Naked- Its liberating Splicing a relay into licence plate light agf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Splicing a relay into licence plate light

Hi Cliff is that headlight wire a green wire or have i misread the schematic?
    I still havnt put my extra LED light on the bike- after my heart by-pass surgery I still cant spend a lot of time bent over and I donít think Iíll be riding for another 3Ė4 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cheers
    Adrian

MODS:
    Delkovics, OGGY KNOBS, tank protector, rim tape, Sharkskin grip buddies, FAZR6's decals & FE, swingarm plugs, HVMP Bar-Ends, AMHeadlight Protector, BEOWULF Rad Guard, Stebel horn, HEALTECH Gear ind., tender wiring, HEL s/s brake lines, JPR Levers, KN's clutch mod, custom seat, oso2k rearsets, townsendFJR1300's lock bracket, Barkbusters, carbon front fender extender, https://www.facebook.com/adrian.flint1

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by agf View Post
    Hi Cliff is that headlight wire a green wire or have i misread the schematic?
    I still havnt put my extra LED light on the bike- after my heart by-pass surgery I still cant spend a lot of time bent over and I donít think Iíll be riding for another 3Ė4 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it should be a green with a yellow tracer but it may be a solid green wire on an OEM naked bike. The US FZ6 with the fairing uses a green with yellow tracer and a stock non modded headlight circuit stays active whether it's high or low beam. On a head light modded bike or euro/down under OEM naked that low beam shuts off during high beam operation so power to your accessories circuit will be dropped. There is a way to still use the headlight circuit as the source and keep it active using diodes and a capacitor...

Last edited by Motogiro; 01-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

12. Thanks agf thanked for this post