Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: To Anyone Who Needs A Clutch Slave Arm

Got it on. That and a new cable..big difference!!
    Sherry
    2007 FZ6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally installed mine (was missing the ring pliers). Yes, the pull really is easier, _feels_ like a just-lubed/new cable. Zone is larger, still getting used to it (only been a day), but does make smoother shifting easier to do. A win. Thank you again @User for the tip!

3. Thanks User thanked for this post
    Likes User liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As I pulled a tendon in my left (clutch) elbow recently, I ordered and installed one today (to ease the slight pain when I pull in the lever).

I don't believe it's noted previously, but there is no punch mark for alignment purposes (no biggon).

It is slightly easier and the engagement zone slightly longer.

I prefer the shorter zone but will keep it on until my elbow heals up, then put the stocker back on, (you can shift a little faster with the shorter zone).

BTW, cable alignment is a non issue.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-28-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Update, took it off, put the stocker back on.

I couldn't get used to the change, shifting seemed slower with the longer range...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Update, took it off, put the stocker back on.

I couldn't get used to the change, shifting seemed slower with the longer range...
    Interesting. Although I could definitely see how this is possible after riding the bike in stock form for so long, you're probably used to it. Coming from Kawasaki I was disgusted by the clutch lever and I immediately modified the slave arm before racking up too many miles on the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed mine the other day. Love everything about it. Hope the cable doesn't mind rubbing a bit. Seems like the spring sits a bit higher, can't remember if that is how it normally is. Functions fine.

I knew better but I put a scratch on the clutch cover >:| Should have used the proper C Clip pliers. Bought some black rattle can paint that was recommended for Yamaha engines, filled it in a bit with a tooth pick. Still there but not white anymore

Clutch Slave Lever-20180716_205802_resized-jpg

Clutch Slave Lever-20180716_205809_resized-jpg

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIJ_FZ6 View Post
    Installed mine the other day. Love everything about it. Hope the cable doesn't mind rubbing a bit. Seems like the spring sits a bit higher, can't remember if that is how it normally is. Functions fine.

I knew better but I put a scratch on the clutch cover >:| Should have used the proper C Clip pliers. Bought some black rattle can paint that was recommended for Yamaha engines, filled it in a bit with a tooth pick. Still there but not white anymore
    That rubber "boot" on the lower end of the cable, it should slip OVER the outer cable end.

It helps keep water and crap from getting into the cable.
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    That rubber "boot" on the lower end of the cable, it should slip OVER the outer cable end.

It helps keep water and crap from getting into the cable.
    It is dry rotted/cracked. It keeps falling off. I believe I would need a new cable to fix it :/

10. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it time for a new clutch cable for me? I noticed a few hundred miles after this mod the plastic shielding on the clutch cable where it meets the end of the tube has cracked. Not exactly thrilled about it. Looks like it happened because the cable is being pushed against the metal harder than it was intended for. What do you guys think?

I was thinking to spend the $10 extra and get another "clutch cable holder" (what points the cable to the clutch slave lever) and bend that with a new cable.

Clutch Slave Lever-20180913_144538_resized-jpg

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MIJ_FZ6 View Post
    Is it time for a new clutch cable for me? I noticed a few hundred miles after this mod the plastic shielding on the clutch cable where it meets the end of the tube has cracked. Not exactly thrilled about it. Looks like it happened because the cable is being pushed against the metal harder than it was intended for. What do you guys think? Above, did you do the FZ-07 mod?

I was thinking to spend the $10 extra and get another "clutch cable holder" (what points the cable to the clutch slave lever) and bend that with a new cable. Not sure how your going to bend that bracket, it's pretty stout. I'd lean towards notching, bending and re-welding the stock base (bolts to motor) bracket. I kinda doubt if you did the -07 mod, that caused the innerds to crack. I see your also missing the rubber boot (likely rotted and fell off from age)

Clutch Slave Lever-20180913_144538_resized-jpg
    I would disconnect the clutch cable at both ends and see / feel if there's ANY binding what so ever.. Keep in mind, missing that boot allows water / grit to get into that cable.

The pic's I posted, I couldn't see the fraying, I felt it. Bought a new cable and cut the old one apart for pic's and see what failed. There was no wear at the lower end of the cable, just at the top where the sharp bend is...

If in doubt, just change the cable. Should that cable break in traffic, I can about guarantee you'll crash... Is it worth it?
    And stick with OEM, NO Chinese knock offs...
    Scott

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567