Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you have frame sliders?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - they have saved my bike

110 39.86%
  • yes - they have not touched the ground

102 36.96%
  • No

64 23.19%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame sliders?

Baci (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame sliders?

Who has frame sliders? My mentality was "Just dont drop the bike". However I have seen and heard many horror stories. Garage tip overs, or coming back to a tipped bike. I cant help to think that $50 bucks might save a lot during a mishap thats in or out of your control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Frame sliders?

The first thing that went on my bike at the dealership and the ONLY thing that needed replaced after a 15mph drop 600 miles later. Need I say more?
    ATGATT
    When life throws you a curve… lean into it and roll on the throttle.

3. Thanks Baci, LFZ6 thanked for this post
    Baci (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tex - I think that will be my next purchase, I wish I had thought of it before I just put in a order for some bike parts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a reason that track bikes have sliders on the forks, swingarms and frame. They work and are definitely worth it. Having a naked bike, I don't care about breaking plastics, but I'd rather not scratch up my frame, tank or engine. Also it gives a little bit more space for my legs if I'm still on my bike and it's sliding along.

6. Thanks Baci, LFZ6, rumblestrip thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm in the minority and won't put them on. I don't push the bike to its limits and I do know my limits...

I haven't dropped a bike (except my Goldwing, stopped, atop a very curved road and tipped onto the crash bars,while stopped yet!) since 2004. That includes a fully faired FJR, (considerably heavier than the FZ with a lot more plastic).

Its few and far inbetween, (on this forum especially) of several busted frames / engine blocks on certain types of crashes due to the TOG causing un-due leverage busting the frame/block.

IMHO, I'd rather replace plastic than an engine or frame.

With that said, in most cases, they do work well. Just make sure you have a long enough bolt for the TOG's as some have reported the bolts too short and have stripped the engine block threads while being installed.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-09-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Thanks pookamatic, LFZ6, rumblestrip thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone recommend some good yet inexpensive frame sliders? I need to buy some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recognize the small chance that the frame sliders can cause additional strain on the frame, but my thought is that if I go down very gently, the sliders will protect my tank and frame, if I go down a little faster, the sliders could allow frame damage, but at that point I will be totaling the bike and collecting insurance.

So, the sliders protect me from stupid small mistakes, and if a nastier crash occurred, I'm probably collecting instance on the bike anyways (with or without the sliders).

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD
    2006 FZ6 Blue. Top Saddlery Seat, BD43 Dual Headlight mod, T-Rex Frame Sliders, GoCruise throttle lock

11. Thanks agf, Shiny_side_up, TopPud thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sliders on this bike, but I did have them on the YZF.

Junior Member Frame sliders? Gelvatron's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwiz4 View Post
    I recognize the small chance that the frame sliders can cause additional strain on the frame, but my thought is that if I go down very gently, the sliders will protect my tank and frame, if I go down a little faster, the sliders could allow frame damage, but at that point I will be totaling the bike and collecting insurance.

So, the sliders protect me from stupid small mistakes, and if a nastier crash occurred, I'm probably collecting instance on the bike anyways (with or without the sliders).

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD
    +1 the benefit out ways the cost by far, OES is a good slider I have hear trex also woodcraft looks like a higher end with replaceable pucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I've dropped my bike a few times and the frame sliders have always taken the brunt of the damage. Most recently this weekend while working on the headers I dropped it on the left side and the frame slider got a nice big gouge in it. The side panel near the seat got a small scratch and that is it! And I don't bother replacing the sliders either. They are the only part of the bike that I am OK with being scratched up.
    2005 FZ6 (40K miles): Morimoto bi-xenon projectors, HEL SS brake lines, Racetech .90 springs, Cut-down Puig windscreen, FZ1 handlebar, 17T front sprocket, heated grips, custom bar ends, 2Wheels levers, Rizoma turn signals, fender eliminator, drilled exhaust, All Balls tapered steering head bearings, frame sliders, K&N Air Filter.

15. Thanks Baci thanked for this post

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast