Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you have frame sliders?

Voters
276. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - they have saved my bike

110 39.86%
  • yes - they have not touched the ground

102 36.96%
  • No

64 23.19%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame sliders?

Go Naked- Its liberating Frame sliders? agf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Frame sliders?

twice, a drop in the drive way and one in the back yard, most embarrassing but the damage to the engine covers would have been way worse. I dont care that they have a scrape on the RH side. They have proven invaluable.
    Yep totally agree they should be a stock part
    cheers
    Adrian

MODS:
    Delkovics, OGGY KNOBS, tank protector, rim tape, Sharkskin grip buddies, FAZR6's decals & FE, swingarm plugs, HVMP Bar-Ends, AMHeadlight Protector, BEOWULF Rad Guard, Stebel horn, HEALTECH Gear ind., tender wiring, HEL s/s brake lines, JPR Levers, KN's clutch mod, custom seat, oso2k rearsets, townsendFJR1300's lock bracket, Barkbusters, carbon front fender extender, https://www.facebook.com/adrian.flint1

2. Thanks Baci, LFZ6 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JONJONsocal View Post
    In my opinion sliders should come stock... they are way cheaper than any plastic fairing on any bike and they are worth every penny.. Its my first mod on any bike...
    Unless they were built into / attached to the frame in several spots vs most current, aftermarket ONE BOLT into the engine block, thru the frame, they'd be pulled off in a NY minute..

Plastic is cheaper than a frame or engine block should it snap off on a moving slide/crash.

As a lot of drops are from physically just moving the bike about the garage/etc, to prevent any unnecessary tip overs, a suggestion:

Keep the kick stand down and extended. Move to the right side of the bike and do your manueavering from there. Should you loose your balance/footing and the bike gets away from you to the left, the kick stand will keep it up (no pun intended)

You now, just have to concentrate on keeping it from falling on the right side, where YOU ARE, with considerably more leverage to keep it up...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-14-2013 at 04:41 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Thanks LFZ6 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed frame sliders at 50 miles on the bike!

They have saved it from damage on one parking lot tip over and 1 slow speed (7mph) spill when I hit gravel while making a 90 degree turn leaving a stoplight under throttle. the only damage to the bike from that spill was a scuff on the edge of the fairing (touch up paint to the rescue) and a tiny scuff on the bottom of the engine casing (touch up paint to the rescue).
    Put my bike out on the highway
    feel that wind all in my face
    breathe some air that tastes like freedom
    let that be my saving grace
    I believe it's time for me to ride...

6. Thanks LFZ6 thanked for this post
    Likes silasbr liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Unless they were built into / attached to the frame in several spots vs most current, aftermarket ONE BOLT into the engine block, thru the frame, they'd be pulled off in a NY minute..

Plastic is cheaper than a frame or engine block should it snap off on a moving slide/crash.

As a lot of drops are from physically just moving the bike about the garage/etc, to prevent any unnecessary tip overs, a suggestion:

Keep the kick stand down and extended. Move to the right side of the bike and do your manueavering from there. Should you loose your balance/footing and the bike gets away from you to the left, the kick stand will keep it up (no pun intended)

You now, just have to concentrate on keeping it from falling on the right side, where YOU ARE, with considerably more leverage to keep it up...

If you're moving your bike forward with the kickstand extended and loose your grip to the left, the down-forward movement will put the kickstand back up. The FZ6 is a really light bike, I have a VTR1000f that is a lot heavier. Frame slider did their part more than enough times to make their moneys worth... I still got sliders on my FZ6. I installed them two days ago..

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

If you're moving your bike forward with the kickstand extended and loose your grip to the left, the down-forward movement will put the kickstand back up. The FZ6 is a really light bike
    +1. Although I disagree that the FZ6 is a really light bike. Compared to my old Ninja 250, this bike is HEAVY. Compared to a lot of bigger bikes and cruisers, yes it is light.

When I bought my bike second-hand, it already had frame sliders installed. I have dropped it at a few times and while the sliders didn't prevent all damage, they limited it to a few scratches and bent levers/pegs.
    2005 FZ6 (40K miles): Morimoto bi-xenon projectors, HEL SS brake lines, Racetech .90 springs, Cut-down Puig windscreen, FZ1 handlebar, 17T front sprocket, heated grips, custom bar ends, 2Wheels levers, Rizoma turn signals, fender eliminator, drilled exhaust, All Balls tapered steering head bearings, frame sliders, K&N Air Filter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

out of topic... see next.. lol
    Last edited by JONJONsocal; 05-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
    +1. Although I disagree that the FZ6 is a really light bike. Compared to my old Ninja 250, this bike is HEAVY. Compared to a lot of bigger bikes and cruisers, yes it is light.

When I bought my bike second-hand, it already had frame sliders installed. I have dropped it at a few times and while the sliders didn't prevent all damage, they limited it to a few scratches and bent levers/pegs.
    Your right.. I like I said I still got slider for my Fz6....

the 250 ninja is a lot heavier than my old honda 125cc (very first bike) I have to say that the fz6 is very well balanced. +1 for the mufflers together under seat..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by outasight20 View Post
    It's not only that it's heavy, it's top heavy.. which is the worst kind of heavy.
    It feels considerably heavier then my ex Kawasaki ER6F (Ninja 650) which was
    actually about the same weight.

Still off topic but.. try moving around a Honda NC700S or 700X.. it's almost
    100lbs more then the FZ6 and you'd swear it's the other way around.
    Mass centralization FTW.

12. Thanks Baci thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you're moving your bike forward with the kickstand extended and loose your grip to the left, the down-forward movement will put the kickstand back up. The FZ6 is a really light bike, I have a VTR1000f that is a lot heavier. Frame slider did their part more than enough times to make their moneys worth... I still got sliders on my FZ6. I installed them two days ago..

Jon
    The bike needs to tilted to the right side some as that's the side your on. I've done this with my old FJR (considerable heavier) and my old Goldwing, (even heavier), NEVER DROPPED either.

Moving it with the kick stand up, your chances of dropping it is 50 % higher...
    Its your choice, just a tip..

Moving the FZ feels half as heavy as pushing the wing or FJR about...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-03-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    The bike needs to tilted to the right side some as that's the side your on. I've done this with my old FJR (considerable heavier) and my old Goldwing, (even heavier), NEVER DROPPED either.

Moving it with the kick stand up, your chances of dropping it is 50 % higher...
    Its your choice, just a tip..

Moving the FZ feels half as heavy as pushing the wing or FJR about...
    I know what you mean.... But like I said earlier. responding to the original question. Frame sliders do their part. The 1st and only time I've dropped my vtr1000 it was on the left side with the kick stand down and if it wasnt for the slider my cans and side fairings would been trashed. I have a buddy that drops his goldwing all the time.. At leas once a week. In my opinion.... The best way to move a bike is with you sitting on it period.

Jon

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast