Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    DHoback (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing, timing timing!!

OK, so this may be premature(I dont think so...but) I have been playing around with the timing advance on my 09. I filed the detent on the ignition rotor until I had a perfect 2deg, 4deg and finally 6deg advance. I switched to NGK CR10E plugs. I have not been able to fully test it as the rain just wont stop here, but the initial feedback from the bike is very good! My plugs show a perfect advance line on the ground strap. The bike idles super clean, and throttle response is amaizing. I will continue this venture for now. I need to get some higher octain fuel as Im on 87 and some WOT pulls. I have some theory in my head that made me act on this(I will explain further when the final results are in) The trade off is GOING to be running 93, but if the gains are worth it Im OK with that. In anycase, it is very interesting and gives me something to do on the bike to keep me occupied. MORE TO COME!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Timing, timing timing!!

I love to hear more from this...
    Keep us posted

Vrrroooooom! Timing, timing timing!! Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you measured timing advance in 1st through 6th gears. The reason I'm asking and interested is many bikes retard timing 1st through 5th gears and some companies make a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) Which gives the bike it's full timing back with some much improved grunt. I think the bike uses a Gear Position Sensor (GPS) of some type because that's what is used for aftermarket gear indicators. When installing those gear position readouts I believe they learn the voltage for each gear position from a GPS. Usually a GPS would exist for the timing retardation unless it's used for different fuel mapping in the lower gears on the FZ6
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

DHoback (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there is a reduction in lower gears. What I am doing is a mechanical advance. Regardless of the gear induced retard, timing will still be 6 degs advanced in any gear up to and inculding 6th. I swill spill thr beans on everything when I know it works correctly.

David Hoback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

factorypro has 4 degree rotor kit for the 03-05 R6.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a-XkUddWsc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Sportbikehowto.com - Factory Pro Ignition Rotor Install‬‏[/ame]
    Last edited by tuningfork; 05-20-2011 at 03:56 AM.

6. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subscribed. Sounds interesting. Hope it works.
    51,600 miles on my 09 FZ6. U.S.:Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming. Canada: Alberta, British Columbia.

DHoback (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, rain finally eased up here(although it's supposed to be back all next week) Took the bike out. Filled up with some Shell 93. Did some WOT pulls. The bike is running stronger than ever. It has responded very well to the extra timing. I dont know of any dynos around me so no hard evidence, but I played with going back to stock and there is a very noticeable increase in power with it advanced. Besides that, the bike just runs better, period! Better idle, lightning throttle response and ALL of the decell popping is gone. Mind you, I dont even have a power commander yet. So, there are still more gains there. I believe it has already crossed the 100WHP barrier without the power commander.

And for those that havnt seen it, here ya go!

9. Thanks Motogiro, Erci thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has captured my interest. On a side note, does advancing the timing have any adverse effect on engine longevity?

My grandpa always said the brightest bulb burns out the fastest. Just wondering if that applies in this situation.
    Previous bikes: 1974 Honda CL 200, 2003 Yamaha XT 225, 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing a little advance won't hurt these engines. But it does put more stress on piston rods and bearings. Too much advance will eventually mean the plug is firing way too early during compression and melt the pistons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the OP can you into more detail about how you did this?
    Thanks,
    Josh

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast