Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything about fork mods

hi

started this thread to accumulate all opinions on our fz6 front fork mods. (actually, at the same time, ask if its worth for me to upgrade to r6s forks when i have ohlins fork springs on my fz6 2007?)

what have riders done so far: (sorry if i missed out your mod, or those who were the original/first riders whom have done so. pm me and i will include your thread. those with instructions on how-to will be appreciated by everyone.)

-fz6 with r6 inverted forks
    - you need these for 03-04 r6 fork mod. courtesy of LERecords.
    -2009 r6 inverted forks, radial mounted calipers.
    -r6r inverted forks, radial mounted calipers
    -installing r1 forks
    -r6r forks doable?

at this point, can any1 tell me which r6/r1 forks are actually the same? from what i found,

r6 2001-2002: Fully Adjustable 43 mm (1.7 in) Telescopic Fork, 5.3 in (134.6 mm) of Travel
    r6 2003-2004: 43 mm (1.7 in) telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping; 4.7 in (119.4 mm) travel
    r6 2005-2010: 41 mm (1.6 in) inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable preload, separate high & low-speed compression damping, rebound damping; 4.7 in (119.4 mm) travel
    Quote Originally Posted by 4drfocus
    06-10 R6s forks are the same units as the 03-04 forks, but they have softer spring rate.

05-10 R6 inverted forks are the same as the R6r forks cause the bike they come off of is the R6"r".

other inverted forks mods, r1 2003, 2004, gsxr

apart from changing the whole assembly, we can also

-change to heavier fork oil
    -change to ohlins at post 8., hyperpro springs
    -install matris fork cartridge kit
    -install ricor intiminator
    -install cartridge emulators by racetech

existing thread with some reviews. i am trying to go slightly more in depth here.
    Last edited by yoshiki; 05-28-2011 at 02:17 AM.
    farewell.. my fz6. you have served me well.

2. Thanks Cali rider, Ridgeback, SANGER_A2, rchamberlain thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Everything about fork mods

I'm glad you started this thread! I had been contemplating a similar all-encompassing thread for fork mods, as I've been racking my brain, reading and re-reading all the various posts and measuring and re-measuring everything I can get my hands on or get anybody else to get their hands on.

I still have a couple people to bug for some quick measurements (hopefully they'll play nice!) and then I have a setup that I think will work well and is easily accomplished.

Until then, I'll be watching here for any other expert opinions.

--EDIT--

I have a complete 2006 GSXR setup that I was going to swap in, but I can't get over the axle issue. I know the member who posted his work use used some kind of compression ring to hold the FZ6 axle in the GSXR forks, but that seems a little sketch to me. Short of having a custom axle turned, I'm not sure how else this particular swap is going to work...
    Last edited by slandis; 08-23-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the ever popular catridge emulators from Racetech!
    Until this morning i was sure I wanted the emulators, then someone just HAD to post the Ricor intiminator. Now I am even more confused.
    2007 Blue FZ6 - Black Rizoma Handlebar, blue sportline grips and black bar ends, HEL Translucent Blue Front and Rear SS Lines, EBC HH front and rear pads, 1.0kg/mm Race Tech Front Fork Spring, Ricor Intiminators, BT021 Tires

yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slandis View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread! I had been contemplating a similar all-encompassing thread for fork mods, as I've been racking my brain, reading and re-reading all the various posts and measuring and re-measuring everything I can get my hands on or get anybody else to get their hands on.

I still have a couple people to bug for some quick measurements (hopefully they'll play nice!) and then I have a setup that I think will work well and is easily accomplished.

Until then, I'll be watching here for any other expert opinions.

--EDIT--

I have a complete 2006 GSXR setup that I was going to swap in, but I can't get over the axle issue. I know the member who posted his work use used some kind of compression ring to hold the FZ6 axle in the GSXR forks, but that seems a little sketch to me. Short of having a custom axle turned, I'm not sure how else this particular swap is going to work...
    sorry i cant help too much on the technical details, but i try to find as much information as i can to consolidate all here. keep me updated on your project!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post
    Don't forget the ever popular catridge emulators from Racetech!
    Until this morning i was sure I wanted the emulators, then someone just HAD to post the Ricor intiminator. Now I am even more confused.
    updated my 1st post.. thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can link to my thread on the Hyperpro springs here. In the first paragraph, I link to all the other threads other members have made on their Hyperpro spring installs.
    My fully modded 2008 FZ6 S2 Fazer with ABS is now for sale. Check the for sale section for an Ebay link.

yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SANGER_A2 View Post
    You can link to my thread on the Hyperpro springs here. In the first paragraph, I link to all the other threads other members have made on their Hyperpro spring installs.
    done! linked to your thread, as well as mine for the ohlins. :BLAA:

8. Thanks SANGER_A2 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

06-10 R6s forks are the same units as the 03-04 forks, but they have softer spring rate.

05-10 R6 inverted forks are the same as the R6r forks cause the bike they come off of is the R6"r".
    " My shock busted off my bike and killed a squirrel!!"- skooter65

10. Thanks yoshiki thanked for this post
    yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4drfocus View Post

how's your r6 front fork mod coming along? completed? what about handlebar?

yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after reading this, wolfman's mod for radial calipers, i am wondering if i should go for these adaptors along with r6 calipers, and r6s adjustable forks or matris/raccetech gold valves kits.

yoshiki (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seen a sudden interest in r6 fork mods recently in the forum.. i have my project coming soon! will post up pictures when its done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast