Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: engine cuts out

vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

engine cuts out

So, what would cause the engine to completely cut out when riding? Riding on interstate at about 80 and the engine just died like fuel was either cut off, or the ignition turned off. Power was fine till then, and it came back. I wasnt able to replicate it. So I am not sure what check out. Any common electrical failure?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: engine cuts out

The kill switch is a common issue - start from there engine cuts out In my experience when it starts going bad the best solution is either replacement or bypassing it by soldering the wires that go in it together.

3. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! engine cuts out Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many members also service the kill switch.

As always check the simple thing like the connections right at the battery. The wires right at the ignition switch have been known to detach. Rare but it has happened, check the wires in the harness where they bend from the steering.

https://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-steering.html
    Last edited by Motogiro; 08-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

5. Thanks vinmansbrew thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just the engine quit, as if you activated the RED KILL switch correct, (other electric still worked)?

If so, typical red, kill switch bad connection-especially if you use it often..

https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...h-problem.html

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost never use the kill. It's an 06 and I've probably used it less than 20 times. I'll check it though, I guess you never know. I thought I got it to slightly occur messing with the key, but it was once, so it may uave been coincidence.

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Verify the side stand switch too. If it thinks its down it will shut the engine off.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

9. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the kill seems fine. I was able to get the bike to die twice by messing with the wires just as they exited the ignition switch housing. I clipped the 2 zip ties and moved the wires and rezipped them. I wasn't able to get it to die a 3rd time after that.
    Is the switch able to be dismantled and checked out? Otherwise, is there a good source for switches, and I suppose seat lock and tank lock?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinmansbrew View Post
    Is the switch able to be dismantled and checked out? Otherwise, is there a good source for switches, and I suppose seat lock and tank lock?
    It comes apart rather easily for cleaning. Just a couple screws on the underside.

Be aware however that even if you clean it, it can still go bad.

Mine was bad and I cleaned it meticulously, then it crapped out again about 6 months later so I just jumped it and problem solved

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

12. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cook.675 View Post
    Mine was bad and I cleaned it meticulously, then it crapped out again about 6 months later so I just jumped it and problem solved

Not what "just jumped it" means but did you replace the switch? (Just hot wiring it now??)

If so, were you able to "re-key" the switch to match your key or ?
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no my bad; i was speaking of the kill switch not the ignition switch

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

15. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast