Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: engine cuts out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: engine cuts out

So what's up with the kill switch on these bikes? I've only had my fazer since March but use my kill every ride and have put 7k miles on it already. Is this just a matter of time for mine to go out as well?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaronv74 View Post
    So what's up with the kill switch on these bikes? I've only had my fazer since March but use my kill every ride and have put 7k miles on it already. Is this just a matter of time for mine to go out as well?
    Likely, yes... If you just stop using it, and just use the key it shouldn't be an issue.

I have 27,000 miles on mine currently, don't use the Red switch-(rarely) and no issues with it. It's never been apart or cleaned.

I honestly don't know why folks even use it... You have to turn the key off anyway (or have a dead battery). Using the kill switch
    just makes it more likely you'll forget the key is on and again, a dead/weak battery.

I think it's taught in MC school, IMO, it really isn't needed except in certain situations..

Been riding 45 years, took several Advanced Police Motorcycle classes, rode "motors" (Harleys) in the traffic unit as well and never used it regularly..
    Did use my "partners" kill switch riding side by side, smacking his KILL switch OFF while under way, (I got the same treatment!).
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On some old bikes, the kill was just that. It killed the engine, but that was a long time ago. These days, the kill is just a backup in case some issue occurs where the throttle sticks open. It's easier to hit the kill than reach up and turn the key.

Anyways, does the ignition come apart easy enough? I'm not "cheap" but I prefer to fix parts instead of just replacing them.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Years ago, the FJR had problems with the ignition switch wires coming loose (Yamaha had a re-call).

Some guys were able to pull it apart and re-soldier. Do a search on-line, you should be able to find something.

About the only difference in switches was the FJR had a "parking position" (you could leave it with the tail light on AND secure the bike).
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

6. Thanks vinmansbrew thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to see what I dig up on that. Thanks

Super Member engine cuts out ShoopCE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    I honestly don't know why folks even use it... You have to turn the key off anyway (or have a dead battery). Using the kill switch
    just makes it more likely you'll forget the key is on and again, a dead/weak battery.

I think it's taught in MC school, IMO, it really isn't needed except in certain situations..
    Scott,

Yep. The MSF preaches this as the correct way to stop the bike. I DO NOT use the engine cut off switch ever, so I don't always do this right while teaching. They teach it that way to make it part of muscle memory to reach for the cut off switch anytime you need to stop the engine, emergencies included, or especially during emergencies.

Chris.
    2008 FZ6 Cobalt Blue
    R6 forks, R6 Mirrors, MRA Vario windscreen, ThrottleMeister, Shogun frame sliders, SpeedoDRD, Corbin GF&Lady w backrest, R&G FE

9. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I got it to cough a couple times yesterday. Looks like the switch will have to come off. Those 2 security "bolts', are they actually bolts, or are they rivets? Cause if they were bolts, I might be able to slot the head with a dremel and then turn them out. I suppose I could do what I saw on an fjr page and drill out the two small screws on the bottom, instead of removing the 2 large ones.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinmansbrew View Post
    So, I got it to cough a couple times yesterday. Looks like the switch will have to come off. Those 2 security "bolts', are they actually bolts, or are they rivets? Cause if they were bolts, I might be able to slot the head with a dremel and then turn them out. I suppose I could do what I saw on an fjr page and drill out the two small screws on the bottom, instead of removing the 2 large ones.
    Their security bolts.

I'd pull the switch myself..

Easiest way:
    - Remove the upper triple
    -Flip and re-set on the forks to hold it steady
    -Center punch and drill the heads off the "rounding part"-Stop when the head is gone
    -Switch will now slide off. Remove the drilled bolts with a vise grip as you have plenty of bolt sticking out to grab.

The switch connector I believe is under the tank/battery tray. Either do your work "up top" or un-plug and take to the bench..

Also, it's not likely a screwdriver (even if slotted great) will work. There should be some loctite in there. Just replace with say allen head bolts and loctite or get OEM, "shear off head" factory bolts if you want it OEM (once done)
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-15-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    Scott

12. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    vinmansbrew (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ish, I was hoping to not have to remove the stem nut. Oh well, I guess if it has to be done. Might still try to slot the heads and use and impact driver. If nothing else, part of the head will still be gone if I have to drill it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinmansbrew View Post
    Ish, I was hoping to not have to remove the stem nut. Oh well, I guess if it has to be done. Might still try to slot the heads and use and impact driver. If nothing else, part of the head will still be gone if I have to drill it.
    All of the heads (there's two bolts) have to be gone to pull the switch off..
    Scott

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast