Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    coffee_brake (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel Pump Rebuild?

Picked up a neglected but running 04 FZ6. Worst rust I've ever seen in a gas tank, there must be two pounds of it in there. Fuel was pouring out the front top of the tank at every stop where dozens of bubbles under the paint were bursting and seeping fuel.

Ebay yielded a decent tank and you fine folks already showed me how to get the fuel pump out. My first time removing a fuel pump but I've done a LOT of carburetor rebuilds in the past.
    The rust is all over the fuel pump and the links that show the photos of how to get at the screen/filter aren't working.

The bike was running terribly, shutting off when coming to a stop and very odd idle. The throttle position sensor recall has supposedly been done--twice--on this bike but I'm not sure because the shops that supposedly did the work are crap.

Of possible importance is that the shop broke off the nib end that sticks out of the fuel pump that goes to the injectors, and patched it with a short length of regular (not FI) fuel line and a couple hose clamps. What slobs. No leaks at that jerry-rigged junction, but again, I'm not proficient at FI bikes so I'm mentioning it in case it matters.

So here are the questions:
    Will that much rust have ruined the pump?
    I see pump rebuild kits on Ebay, good name-brand stuff. Can I use them?
    Can somebody show me another photo of how to get at that screen?

MANY THANKS!!!

coffee_brake (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fuel Pump Rebuild?

Here's the filter, can this even work?
    Fuel Pump Rebuild?-20190730_213657-jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just buy another one...
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines, APE manual CCT, CBR 600 F4i rear shock

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With the broken nub, I agree, just as a safety issue, I'd buy an entire used pump (or new) and simply replace it.

FYI, the screen doesn't come off. "CLR" (rust remover) may dissolve the rust on that filter screen. Hopefully, nothing got past and into the injectors.

Another member got the actual pump from here (for another application, way cheaper than Yamaha):
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1313...fazer-efi.html
    Probably have to do some searching there, (or find the post here)
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

5. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes Ohendo, Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Another member got the actual pump from here (for another application, way cheaper than Yamaha):
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1313...fazer-efi.html
    WOW! What a find. OEM fuel pump on Ron Ayers: $380. Replacement from High Fuel Flow site: $70.
    2005 Silver FZ6 | Dual LED headlights | Yamaha LED blinkers | 12V power socket | Bikemaster Superbike bar w/risers | MotoDynamic Smoke tail light | FE | Michelin PR4's | Puig Racing screen - Dark Smoke | Spencer-ized stock seat | >50K Miles

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    coffee_brake (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. Likes Ohendo liked this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doesn't look bad, mostly good reviews, some bad(at the end of reviews).

If the Denso comes with the filter, I'd probably lean towards that.

*The thread on that pump replacement (as I re-call), no issues with fit, modifications, etc for the FZ...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

coffee_brake (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input. Order placed!

And now we wait....

coffee_brake (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pump arrived, lots of extra parts. There seriously was no need to take photos, the darn thing just goes in exactly like the old one comes out. The kit has several different filter types, and I had to just fold over the extra of the one that fit the best and stuff it in the housing.

As mentioned in original post, the asshat "mechanics" who went into this bike before broke off the plastic piece between the fuel pump and the line into the injectors, and patched it with a short length of fuel line and the cheapest clamps known to man, so I used better clamps and new line to do the same, and it cracked it more. But it did start the bike easily and idle well till that cludge fix gave way.
    Not to worry, I need an elbow that's fit for the pressure of a fuel pump and there's room enough under the tank to make it happen.

So the kit fit up well and did work initially, let's see what happens in a few days when I find that elbow.

13. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did you use the E-Bay kit or the Denso unit?

Sounds like the E-Bay kit..

Great information BTW!
    Scott