Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

I am quite tall and the bike was lowered. What is the technique used to lower the rear suspension? I want to remove whatever it is. Am I likely to need an original part, or is the lowering link setup just an add-on that can be removed and put back to stock without buying some original part that is now missing? Sorry if this is confusing.

The front forks were also pulled up through the triple clamp, maybe an inch and a half at least is sticking out out of the triple. The tops of the forks should be flush with the triple right? I will be looking into fixing this of course, just need to figure out how I'm going to jack up the bike, as I can't use my jack considering the bottom exhaust.

I just got the bike today and love it already, so fun. Just way too low for my height, I look ridiculous on it. If anyone has further tips to accommodate a tall rider I am all ears!

Thanks so much

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

I suspect they put lowering links on the bike.

The rear shock : https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...ear-suspension shouldn't have any thing bolted to it but the bike.

There's also a spring pre-load (addressed in the owners manual) you can tighten to pick the rear up.

Your kick stand is also likely shortened(or after market) and you'll need another stock kick stand. Hopefully you still have the center stand and they didn't hack that up.

The bike will have to be supported (preferably by the center stand) when putting the rear (and the front) back to stock..

**BTW, a scissor jack, or other, (I use a flat 2" wide piece of aluminum to spread the weight) under the header won't hurt anything.
    You can easily and safely lift the nose up to move the forks / maintenance.

There is a bit of sag in the stock forks. You might consider addressing that. I added Schrader valves (with pressurized air) to each leg and that solved the dipping nose:

Other's replace the forks altogether..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-08-2019 at 04:03 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    I suspect they put lowering links on the bike.

The rear shock : https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...ear-suspension shouldn't have any thing bolted to it but the bike.

There's also a spring pre-load (addressed in the owners manual) you can tighten to pick the rear up.

Your kick stand is also likely shortened(or after market) and you'll need another stock kick stand. Hopefully you still have the center stand and they didn't hack that up.

The bike will have to be supported (preferably by the center stand) when putting the rear (and the front) back to stock..

**BTW, a scissor jack, or other, (I use a flat 2" wide piece of aluminum to spread the weight) under the header won't hurt anything.
    You can easily and safely lift the nose up to move the forks / maintenance.

There is a bit of sag in the stock forks. You might consider addressing that. I added Schrader valves (with pressurized air) to each leg and that solved the dipping nose:

Other's replace the forks altogether..
    Thanks for the in depth answer! I saw things like https://www.amazon.ca/Soupys-Yamaha-.../dp/B00INCJ3QO so I suspected mine might have something similar to make the seat sit lower. Just going to tear into it a bit today to see if I can get a look at the top of the shock somehow.

That is good to know I actually can jack it up under the header, provided the weight is spread out. Center stand is still on it but I am having a hell of a time getting the bike onto it alone.

I will definitely be doing some reading around the forum, I saw something here already about possibly lowering the pegs, which would be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! I have the same problem on my fz6. The previous owner added a lowering kit, I am not 100% he did that bit I feel that is too low.
    I will look onto it. Op please post here anything new,I will do the same.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's hard to get on the CC because it's so low.

Once you get everything back to stock, it'll easily go back up on the CC..

Don't forget to get a STOCK kickstand.

One I shortened for a member that lowered the bike:

Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    Hi! I have the same problem on my fz6. The previous owner added a lowering kit, I am not 100% he did that bit I feel that is too low.
    I will look onto it. Op please post here anything new,I will do the same.
    Sounds good will do!

I measured how much of the forks are sticking out past the triple clamp, and its almost 2"!!! I could just put them back to normal but then the bike will be very mismatched, so I'm waiting until I figure out how to fix the back so I can do it at the same time.

Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new members! If the rear shock height has not been modified and the front has been dropped steering will be effected because the geometry has been modified. If the seat was lowered instead of the rear shock lowering, the bike will probably have quicker turn in characteristics.
    If I remember correctly, The shock can be modified my fitting it with it with a different spring (shorter) in order to lower it. Some bikes have a different system using links and by changing the link length the rear suspension height is changed with little or no effect on the rear shock compression linearity. The FZ6 shock and suspension swing arm are directly connected to the frame/subframe so there are no links to contend with. One way to determine if the shock has been modified might be by measuring the spring length.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a couple pictures of what the bike looks like. Silly question but cranking the preload nut down will cause the bike to be lower, yes? And the forks speak for themselves.

2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-forks-jpg
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-shock-jpg

11. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    new members! If the rear shock height has not been modified and the front has been dropped steering will be effected because the geometry has been modified. If the seat was lowered instead of the rear shock lowering, the bike will probably have quicker turn in characteristics.
    If I remember correctly, The shock can be modified my fitting it with it with a different spring (shorter) in order to lower it. Some bikes have a different system using links and by changing the link length the rear suspension height is changed with little or no effect on the rear shock compression linearity. The FZ6 shock and suspension swing arm are directly connected to the frame/subframe so there are no links to contend with. One way to determine if the shock has been modified might be by measuring the spring length.
    Thanks Glad I found this active forum. In reference to the shock not being able to be dropped besides with a spring, what about that doohicky in the link I posted above from Amazon? I'm just not sure what the OEM setup would look like, so I'm trying to figure out what aftermarket stuff to look for.

13. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaFZ6 View Post
    Thanks Glad I found this active forum. In reference to the shock not being able to be dropped besides with a spring, what about that doohicky in the link I posted above from Amazon? I'm just not sure what the OEM setup would look like, so I'm trying to figure out what aftermarket stuff to look for.
    Exactly! A mechanic looked on the rearshock and told me it is not lowered,at least not from the rear shock,as is doesnt have links,or whatever they are called.
    But,still...that amazon kit...eh...

Le: I just measured the seat height, not verry precise but its about 782mm; it should be 795mm in the manual.
    Last edited by Akybo; 06-08-2019 at 11:29 AM.

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast