Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    The problem is if I can find that original part to buy,as they do not provide this specific part. .
    They do sell the OEM shock new: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...ear-suspension
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

2. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    Thank you! The problem is if I can find that original part to buy,as they do not provide this specific part. Maybe I can add some bushings. I'll see these days when I will remove the shock.
    Maybe you could get a shop to machine you one if you know the OEM dimensions?
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a model number on the spring and emailed Wilbers trying to get more info on the spring rate, if its a lowering spring even... hoping for something

Number is "59-59/120-130"

Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaFZ6 View Post
    I found a model number on the spring and emailed Wilbers trying to get more info on the spring rate, if its a lowering spring even... hoping for something

Number is "59-59/120-130"
    The spring is for rate of compression it does not need to relate to the entire length of the shock assembly. So you could have have a short shock with 3 different springs and the shock will still keep the bike at the same height until weight is applied. Spring rate will change sag. Sag is the amount of compression the bike sinks to when your weight is applied to it.

That number may be related to the model shock they sell and they may be able to tell you what the reduction of height(if any) is for that model shock.

The spring does not alter the shock length.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

6. Thanks CanadaFZ6 thanked for this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    The spring is for rate of compression it does not need to relate to the entire length of the shock assembly. So you could have have a short shock with 3 different springs and the shock will still keep the bike at the same height until weight is applied. Spring rate will change sag. Sag is the amount of compression the bike sinks to when your weight is applied to it.

That number may be related to the model shock they sell and they may be able to tell you what the reduction of height(if any) is for that model shock.

The spring does not alter the shock length.
    I am hoping you are right that it gives some info. I mentioned spring rate because I am going to have someone help me measure what the sag is with my weight, and see if the current spring is appropriate. I don't know the approx weight or anything at all of the previous owner, so having an aftermarket shock is the wild west in terms of knowing what he ordered from them/how they set it up for his specs.

When I can get the damn bike on the center stand I am going to just remove the shock and measure its actual length out of curiosity, since its an easy job. I have a motorcycle jack but it doesn't fit under the header, it's too tall.

Thanks for being patient while I fumble around how it all works. I found a site that also really helped me understand the preload.

"When you wind on preload, the adjuster starts to push down on the spring and it tries to compress it, but in doing so you are changing the amount of force that the spring pushes straight back up (remember our earlier examples).

That then means that the spring needs MORE weight to be applied to it in order to compress it, thereby cancelling out a portion of the bike’s weight that was originally causing it to compress."
    https://lifeatlean.com/teach-me-susp...thing-preload/

Makes some sense
    Last edited by CanadaFZ6; 06-09-2019 at 06:08 PM.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contacted Wilbers suspension and the shock is indeed a lowering shock, and can not be easily set to the standard height they sell (pretty much the same product, you just select between standard or lowered -40mm), needs a bunch of different parts installed, and not available as a kit.

Ordered a used OEM shock and a regular height kickstand. It was said mine is not lowered here, but it is, just a really clean weld so its hard to tell. I looked at a stock size kickstand and could instantly tell, mine is at least 3" shorter.

Will be attempting to sell the Wilbers shock. Too bad because it does have more adjustment than the stock.
    Last edited by CanadaFZ6; 07-08-2019 at 06:07 PM.

10. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234