Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Also... If you're 6'2 the triangle ergonomics of the bike will be the same not matter where the suspension is set. Where you sit in reference to the foot pegs and the handle bars will still be the same. With the suspension set back to factory height the bike parts will have better clearance in more technical turns.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

2. Thanks CanadaFZ6 thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaFZ6 View Post
    Makes sense Darn, more money spent. I wonder if I could sell this one or something.
    You could probably sell that shock on the forum and maybe even trade or find a used OEM here.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 06-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

4. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, CanadaFZ6 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaFZ6 View Post
    Are your fork tube sticking out of the top too? If so how much?
    Picture with my front tubes. They are not lowered.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-20190609_115246-jpg
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-20190609_115306-jpg

6. Thanks CanadaFZ6, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    The shock that is on it now is an aftermarket shock that probably has a shorter length. The short length mean the there is less distance in height between the swing arm and the top off the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame of the bike will be closer to the ground and the seat height will be lower.

The stock shock will be longer and will increase the distance between the swing arm and the top of the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame will be farther from the ground and your seat height will be higher,

That means if you remove the shorter shock that has been installed a put the OEM factory shock in, Then drop the fork tubes back down through the triple clamps and the height of the bike will be the height of a factory FZ6.
    Plus one ^^. Seems the shock, as you adjusted, IS fully extended. Tightening the spring will just make for a stiffer ride, less sag.

Check the for sale section. Many shorter riders lower the bike with links(much cheaper than an aftermarket shock). You can easily sell or trade your Wilbers shock.

The kick stand looks stock from what I can see. YOU, looking close at it, at the welds/paint should indicate if it was shortened (Yamaha doesn't sell a shortened kick stand). As low as your bike sounds it is, I'm surprised the side stand is still working (maybe jambed down into soft ground?)..
    Last edited by Motogiro; 06-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, this company (Spencers): Spencers Seat Modifications - FAQ
    does custom seat mods.

He may be able to customize your seat to make it taller.

He does excellent work, very fast turn-around (usually a day), highly recommended (had several of mine done there).
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

10. Thanks CanadaFZ6 thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So ,if the rear shock does not have a part to exchange (as manual sais) to lower it,where does this part install to?bottom of the rear shock?
    https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ma-7651193

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    So ,if the rear shock does not have a part to exchange (as manual sais) to lower it,where does this part install to?bottom of the rear shock?
    I looked into that, it replaces the bottom mount point on the shock that mounts to the subframe. I found some info that the stock shock should be 300mm from each hole, so if you wanted to make sure you could measure it. But I think you'd need to take it off for that.
    Last edited by CanadaFZ6; 06-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.

13. Likes Akybo, Motogiro liked this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus one ^^. Seems the shock, as you adjusted, IS fully extended. Tightening the spring will just make for a stiffer ride, less sag.

Check the for sale section. Many shorter riders lower the bike with links(much cheaper than an aftermarket shock). You can easily sell or trade your Wilbers shock.

The kick stand looks stock from what I can see. YOU, looking close at it, at the welds/paint should indicate if it was shortened (Yamaha doesn't sell a shortened kick stand). As low as your bike sounds it is, I'm surprised the side stand is still working (maybe jambed down into soft ground?)..
    It does not look shortened, I was thinking it would be a replacement, you're right its easy to see a weld.. It's possible maybe the back isn't lowered as much as I think. It does look odd compared to photos but I don't have much to go on for in person comparison. I am also just hoping it is because I don't see how anyone even taller than me could ride it at all, I am scrunched up like a GP rider. Very tight leg bend.

My other reasoning for thinking the back is lowered is looking at how much the front is (bars pulled up through triple 2"). I would hope the owner did the rear to match!

15. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    See the bottom of the shock in this pictorial. Yamaha does not provide a separate part that I know of. The shock comes as is but you can remove that section and put a shorter, aftermarket one on the end of the shaft.
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...ear-suspension

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

17. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    See the bottom of the shock in this pictorial. Yamaha does not provide a separate part that I know of. The shock comes as is but you can remove that section and put a shorter, aftermarket one on the end of the shaft.
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...ear-suspension
    Thank you! The problem is if I can find that original part to buy,as they do not provide this specific part. Maybe I can add some bushings. I'll see these days when I will remove the shock.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast