Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

Quote Originally Posted by Akybo View Post
    Exactly! A mechanic looked on the rearshock and told me it is not lowered,at least not from the rear shock,as is doesnt have links,or whatever they are called.
    But,still...that amazon kit...eh...

Le: I just measured the seat height, not verry precise but its about 782mm; it should be 795mm in the manual.
    Are your fork tube sticking out of the top too? If so how much?

I think that it would be easy to spot an actual drop link added onto the shock, but if someone replaced the actual top mount that is attached to the shock (like the Amazon one) it would be a lot harder to notice. The whole top side is covered in plastic so I can't see it.

2. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?

The rear shock pictured is NOT stock.

Might want to look up the brand and get spec's and see if it alone is shorter...You also have adjusting threads on that shock.
    Try tightening those un-less the shock is ALREADY FULLY EXTENDED...

As Motogiro posted earlier, with the stock set up, the rear shock simply bolts between the frame and swing arm. ANY other doo dads are aftermarket.
    Get rid of them..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaFZ6 View Post
    Silly question but cranking the preload nut down will cause the bike to be lower, yes? And the forks speak for themselves.

Attachment 69792
    Tightening the spanner nuts against the spring will increase stiffness of the spring hence you will have less compression of the suspension. When you sit on the bike it will be stiffer as well as perform differently.

Overall length of that shock assembly is what governs rear suspension height.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

6. Thanks CanadaFZ6 thanked for this post
    CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Tightening the spanner nuts against the spring will increase stiffness of the spring hence you will have less compression of the suspension. When you sit on the bike it will be stiffer as well as perform differently.

Overall length of that shock assembly is what governs rear suspension height.
    Got it, thanks. So if I want the seat higher (make the shock longer/less compressed) I turn the ring out, I will also make the suspension softer at the same time. It feels very very hard right now on small bumps, I guess that is because its cranked down to make the bike sit low?

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shock is a "Wilbers" brand. Found a thread on here talking about it, it has preload and rebound adjustment. Unsure whether this shock makes the bike lower, I have not found any mention of that though. And this is a shortened kickstand I assume? Also here is a picture of how the bike is sitting. Not ideal for a 6' 2 rider.... Thanks everyone for the help so far.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-thumbnail_image1-jpg
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller?-thumbnail_image2-jpg
    Last edited by CanadaFZ6; 06-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as you can tell I know nothing about suspension adjustment what so ever. I moved the nut up the threads towards the seat, thinking this lengthens the spring and therefore gives me a higher lift on the seat. I moved it up quite a bit with no change at all to the height!

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! 2006 Yamaha FZ6 was lowered by previous owner, how to put back to stock or even make it a bit taller? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it, thanks. So if I want the seat higher (make the shock longer/less compressed) I turn the ring out, I will also make the suspension softer at the same time. It feels very very hard right now on small bumps, I guess that is because its cranked down to make the bike sit low?
    If you crank down or loosen the spring it will not change the length if the shock. It will not change the seat height. Adjustment of the spring will change the rate of compression of the entire stroke but not the length of the assembly.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you crank down on the spring it will not change the length if the shock. It will not change the seat height. Adjustment of the spring will change the rate of compression of the entire stroke but not the length of the assembly.

Sent from Moto's Motorola
    Thanks. Been reading all night trying to understand it all more. I don't really know where to go from here. Now I know the shock is aftermarket, but I have no idea why it looks and feels so low in the rear. Or what I can do about it.

13. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Been reading all night trying to understand it all more. I don't really know where to go from here. Now I know the shock is aftermarket, but I have no idea why it looks and feels so low in the rear. Or what I can do about it.
    The shock that is on it now is an aftermarket shock that probably has a shorter length. The short length mean the there is less distance in height between the swing arm and the top off the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame of the bike will be closer to the ground and the seat height will be lower.

The stock shock will be longer and will increase the distance between the swing arm and the top of the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame will be farther from the ground and your seat height will be higher,

That means if you remove the shorter shock that has been installed a put the OEM factory shock in, Then drop the fork tubes back down through the triple clamps and the height of the bike will be the height of a factory FZ6.

If you have trouble with the technical ideas or experience you might want to get someone to help walk you through the mechanical on this. You can end up injured if you try working on your own with out guidance and/or experience. Completing work correctly on a motorcycle is very important to yours and other's riding safety.

We want everyone to be safe and have a great experience riding.

There is a wealth of collective knowledge and experience on this forum and we want everyone to have a great experience.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 06-08-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

CanadaFZ6 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shock that is on it now is an aftermarket shock that probably has a shorter length. The short length mean the there is less distance in height between the swing arm and the top off the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame of the bike will be closer to the ground and the seat height will be lower.

The stock shock will be longer and will increase the distance between the swing arm and the top of the shock where it is mounted to the frame. This means the frame will be farther from the ground and your seat height will be higher,

That means if you remove the shorter shock that has been installed a put the OEM factory shock in, Then drop the fork tubes back down through the triple clamps and the height of the bike will be the height of a factory FZ6.
    Makes sense Darn, more money spent. I wonder if I could sell this one or something.

16. Likes Motogiro liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast