Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ital (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FZ6 New Tires needed, how to remove, first timer 10k miles

I ended up ordering this, hopefully it does the trick....
    https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Grip-185.../dp/B00LFRRKT6

2. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    It's all good! FZ6 New Tires needed, how to remove, first timer 10k miles trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I were you I would also take the time to check other fastners. I don't recall if the bike is new to you, but I can tell you that in 2012 when I bought my 05, I also rounded a bolt doing my first maintenance. Turns out the previous owner had only 1 way of putting fasteners in. Way too tight. I spent some time loosening and re torquing bolts to spec. Locktite on those that required it, and anti sieze on some others. If you have a torque wrench and a portable radio I recommend you do it as well. Otherwise, a six pack and a torque wrench weilding friend will do the trick as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies

4. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Likes FinalImpact, Motogiro liked this post
    Ital (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trepetti View Post
    If I were you I would also take the time to check other fastners. I don't recall if the bike is new to you, but I can tell you that in 2012 when I bought my 05, I also rounded a bolt doing my first maintenance. Turns out the previous owner had only 1 way of putting fasteners in. Way too tight. I spent some time loosening and re torquing bolts to spec. Locktite on those that required it, and anti sieze on some others. If you have a torque wrench and a portable radio I recommend you do it as well. Otherwise, a six pack and a torque wrench weilding friend will do the trick as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I do not think that is the case. I bought the bike with 300 miles on it, 3 yeas ago. I do not think the original owner did any maintenance on it. For sure though the bolts were on with some type of white\grey loctite and probably were seized a bit after 11 years. I bought 4 new bolts just in case. Should I add loctite back or is it not needed? At the rate I ride I will need new tires every 2 to 3 years. The car is always garage now, it was bought new in 2013(from the title), I bought it in 2016, but I am sure for a couple of years at least it was stored outside.

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do NOT use Loctite on them...

In your shop manual, under each specific section (IE Ft Brakes), will be a picture with the parts, torque spec's and what, if ANYTHING to use on the threads.

That particular fastener doesn't take Loctite.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Ital (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Do NOT use Loctite on them...

In your shop manual, under each specific section (IE Ft Brakes), will be a picture with the parts, torque spec's and what, if ANYTHING to use on the threads.

That particular fastener doesn't take Loctite.
    Thanks will do. The specs call fro 29 ft lb, i can tell you for sure it was more like 150ft lbs to get those MF off.... I had to use my jack pole on top of the wrench and I had to put almost all my weight on it.... not sure how that happened... and that is for a small 12mm bolt

It's all good! FZ6 New Tires needed, how to remove, first timer 10k miles trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Never create a theory that contradicts observation. They were not tightened that much during assembly. Someone over tightened them. Do yourself a favor and re torque everything. It will bring peace of mind and give you a chance to find out if there are other fasteners you need to replace. Better to find out now than to have simple jobs in the future become more complicated and more time consuming. I ended up replacing a few fasteners when I did it. Now when I do maintenance I know what to expect.
    2005 FZ6 - R6 Forks, FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, SW Motec tank bag, Givi topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Hyperlites, Grip Puppies

11. Thanks Ital, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes ShoopCE, Ital, TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    Ital (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Irwin bolt extractor worked. Best $6 spent
    I got the front wheel off. Thanks for the help

13. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, FB400, Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the update!

Just dropped $40 for the entire set! (I'm a tool junkie)..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Ital (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok guys I got the wheel replaced. Thank you all for the help. FJR13 thanks for the picture about the rear brake, i referred to it during the install
    I also aligned my rear wheel, but it was odd that the right side of the bike was kind of lose when it was aligned and i had to push the wheel forward against it and then tighten my axle bolt and then it would be perfect it aligned with perfect tension. It is my first time dealing with motorcycles but I am assuming that is correct, but if someone can reassure me that would be good for piece of mind

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You, (I) usually have to kick the right side of the tire forward as the chain IS pulling on the left side... Just make sure both adjusters are touching the axle once done..

*Just make sure you have 2" TOTAL UP and DOWN play at the tightest point (rotating the chain whi9le on the center stand).

You did good!
    Scott

18. Thanks Ital thanked for this post
    Likes Ital, Motogiro liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast