Thread: FJ-09 anyone?

FB400 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FJ-09 anyone?

Hey all -
    I am looking to move on to a new bike and have been giving some serious consideration to the Yamaha FJ-09. Truth be told I think there are really slim choices in the sporty type sport touring market right now.

I wanted to know if there are folks here on that bike now and get opinions on how you like it versus the Fz6.

Yes I know I could hop on the FJ-09 forum and get opinions there as well. I thought though it would be good to get the perspective from a FZ6 rider.

Thanks
    Tom
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

Current Mods: (in no particular order)
    Leo Vince aluminum
    Top Sellerie seat
    Morimoto V6.0 mini H1 HID Projectors
    15t front sprocket
    grip puppies
    Hyperlites
    Stebel nautilus horn
    Puig racing dark smoke wind screen
    Racetech led volt meter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FJ-09 anyone?

No experience with the FJ09, but if you’re looking for an awesome sport-touring bike with an in-line triple engine, my Tiger 1050 is for sale. And I’m local. https://www.600riders.com/forum/sell...tml#post640921

It’s basically a bigger, more refined, more powerful/torquey version of the FZ6. A little bit more upright, I find it better for long-distance comfort. With the 1050 engine and the suspension/brake mods, it handles 2-up riding with ease. Willing to negotiate a bit on the price. If you’re interested in checking it out, let me know!
    Last edited by MattR302; 02-13-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    Matt
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What have you looked at in the "slim" market?
    Triumph Tiger
    Honda VFR or NC750x, Africa Twin (depending on your use)
    Suzuki VStrom
    Kawi Versys

4. Thanks FB400 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddy has a fz09 - That thing is cool. Very torque, smaller or the same size as the FZ6. Weights a tad bit more. Honestly I like my fz6 better though. I am jealous of the lower RPM power though.

6. Thanks FB400 thanked for this post
    FB400 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to the NYC motorcycle show in December. I was pretty dissapointed of what is offered in the sport touring class. There seems very little margin between the hulking big touring bikes and the go fast japanese rocket bikes.

I liked the new Yamaha Tracer GT but am not in love with the 13k price tag. Essentially it is the same bike as the FJ09 with hard bags, heated grips and a better console display.
    I hated the Versys and Vstrom - yukk really dorky Lol
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

Leo Vince aluminum
    Top Sellerie seat
    15t front sprocket
    grip puppies
    Hyperlites
    Stebel nautilus horn
    Racetech led volt meter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FB400 View Post
    I liked the new Yamaha Tracer GT but am not in love with the 13k price tag. Essentially it is the same bike as the FJ09 with hard bags, heated grips and a better console display.
    Exactly this. I've always loved the look of the Ducati Multistrada with the bags (slim profile - I don't need steamer trunks) - but of course there is maintenance/cost (plus my yamaha loyalty). To me the Tracer GT gets pretty close to what I would want in several (or more) years, as a used model. I love my heated grips on the FZ6, and cruise control would be a great addition (for the highway trips I take with my brother on his Harley). So I've tucked this away... don't need it now, but someday, this is my current Go-To.

9. Thanks FB400 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a quick shifter, better and fully adjustable forks, and cruise control, and remote rear preload adjustment... By the time you've added just the racks, side bags, grips and done some work on the forks you've already spent most of the difference between the standard and the GT version.

IMO you'd still get it for a good price, if you bought it in Europe those 13k USD would be 12,5k (over 14k USD)...
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines, APE manual CCT

11. Thanks FB400 thanked for this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I've put about 25mi on one. It was 2 years ago but like the FZ it needs work on the suspension. That said the platform is a better starting point than the FZ if you want low end torque, power to wheelie and get a little crazy.

I like it and would add it if I had the space to keep. But again, it needs some personalization.

As I know it the rear shock is a bolt in from another. The front, not sure of the options.

That said I'm not a big touring rider. It is flickable and that is a starting point.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hated the Versys and Vstrom - yukk really dorky Lol
    C'mon the Versys is a great looking bike and performer!
    Yep, it's mine
    Last edited by Heywood; 02-25-2019 at 09:53 AM.

FB400 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol! Skittles colors. I mean no disrespect, this just isn't my thing
    Roger Babson

Leo Vince aluminum
    Top Sellerie seat
    15t front sprocket
    grip puppies
    Hyperlites
    Stebel nautilus horn
    Racetech led volt meter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast