Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fordtech58 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Faster than normal idle?, extended crank time?

Aloha to all, I've been searching different topics for a few days and couldn't find anything that resembles my problem. I've purchased a 2006 FZ6 with 7,800 miles which is all stock with the exception of bars, grips, levers and a 48t rear sprocket. I've only put about 100 miles on it but a few things seem a little abnormal to me and one could be related to the other. I believe the thermostat and cooling system are fine. I have the blinking tach lower bar until the bike warms up in about 5 minute when the temperature gauge goes to the third bar and stays there. The bike seems to have a bit of an extended cranking 3-5 seconds before it fires up but when it does it idles smooth with no chugging or surging. When it's fully warmed up it idles just above 1600 rpm 1610-1680 is the digital readout though it doesn't seem to be surging. I've found what appears to be the idle screw on the left side of the throttle bodies, I turned it about 1 turn in each direction with no change in rpm up or down? I'm almost thinking a vacuum leak which could cause both concerns though I'd expect some surging with a vacuum leak. I'm looking at a set of LeoVince pipes but would like to know I don't have any problems before starting any modifications. Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to ad as much information that I thought might help. Thanks to all who take the time to read this and offer assistance, Mahalo...

2. Thanks Fz6 2007 thanked for this post
    Likes Fz6 2007 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Faster than normal idle?, extended crank time?

Hello, does your rpm change (decrease) when the Motor is warm?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtech58 View Post
    Aloha to all, I've been searching different topics for a few days and couldn't find anything that resembles my problem. I've purchased a 2006 FZ6 with 7,800 miles which is all stock with the exception of bars, grips, levers and a 48t rear sprocket. I've only put about 100 miles on it but a few things seem a little abnormal to me and one could be related to the other. I believe the thermostat and cooling system are fine.

I have the blinking tach lower bar until the bike warms up in about 5 minute when the temperature gauge goes to the third bar and stays there. The light stays on??

The bike seems to have a bit of an extended cranking 3-5 seconds before it fires up but when it does it idles smooth with no chugging or surging. 3-5 seconds starting cold is normal, hot-maybe a second, please clarify..

When it's fully warmed up it idles just above 1600 rpm 1610-1680 is the digital readout though it doesn't seem to be surging. I've found what appears to be the idle screw on the left side of the throttle bodies, That should look like a star shaped screw and yes it is the manual idle adjustment screw. Counter clockwise SHOULD LOWER THE IDLE.

I turned it about 1 turn in each direction with no change in rpm up or down? Try turning it CC more and see if the idle comes down.

I'm almost thinking a vacuum leak Very well could be, gonna have to dig deeper. which could cause both concerns though I'd expect some surging with a vacuum leak.

If the idle does not come down and you've checked for all hoses, etc under the tank for leaks, you may have to do a throttle sync (do a search here). Often, lack of idle adjustment, while doing the sync, the main cylinder (as I recall, adjustment #1), needs to be turned out to about 3/4-1 full turn from slightly seated. THAT will allow much more adjustment at idle and syncing..

I'm looking at a set of Leo Vince pipes but would like to know I don't have any problems before starting any modifications. I would NOT put on and pipes UNTIL the issue(s) are resolved. It will only make the high idle worse..

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to ad as much information that I thought might help. That does help..Thanks to all who take the time to read this and offer assistance, Mahalo...
    Plus one on the above reply/post from TK, please reply..

Do you have the owners and shop manual for the bike?

The idle adjustment is in the owners manual as well as other important maintenance info..

PM me with an e-mail address and the year bike and I'll send you the manual as a PDF
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

5. Thanks Fz6 2007 thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! Faster than normal idle?, extended crank time? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also there may be a relation to this thread and a similar problem. Some good work done here by Scott and Randy. https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...le+air+control
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

7. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    Also there may be a relation to this thread and a similar problem. Some good work done here by Scott and Randy. https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...le+air+control
    I remember the thread, forgot it IS very similar to the OPs issue... Getting old sucks..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

9. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Fordtech58 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKBone: when it's cold it idles about 1450-1500, gets higher when fully warmed up.

TownsendsFJR1300: Yes, once the third bar lights on the temp gauge the tach lower bar stops flashing and stays lit. It's giving me a 3-5 second crank cold and hot, once when hot after being shut off for only 2-3 minutes it just cranked and didn't start like vapor lock?? When I looked at the bike to buy it I met the guy at the local home depot and when I asked him to start the bike again I noticed he opened the throttle when he did. I suggested that it should be started without touching the throttle and he said he sometimes just forgot that. I had a Busa for 6 years and I'm currently on my third ZX14 and they all started virtually instantly hot or cold. I found the idle screw in the owners manual which I have, I realize counter clockwise should lower the idle but when it didn't I tried the opposite direction which didn't seem to raise the idle either. I'll recheck this again tomorrow as I just reached around the frame with 2 fingers to move the screw. I may not have moved it as much as I'd thought. I plan on lifting the tank to inspect all the vacuum lines, throttle cable routing and mounts etc.

Motogiro: Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out.

11. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, your very familiar with bikes and it seems that guy was indeed quite shady telling you BS.

Yes, being FI'ed, you should have to touch the throttle, ever.

If the throttle needs to be opened, it's usually running too rich.

The high idle usually means it's lean at idle (I know, it contradicts the above).

Is there an aftermarket fuel controller on it? If so, besides checking for what he "dinked with", remove the controller.

The light coming on, I suspect that's part of the issue (don't know how), Cliff may be able to help.

The cold idle being lower than hot tends to point towards he messed up the sync screws...

I'd be going thru the bike, REAL CLOSE as someone's messed with it quite a bit (and lied about it).

A video of mine, cold start, warming up(just to show charging voltages). I do have my warm idle set at 1,100 on purpose (with Open Scopions):
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134...in/dateposted/

@Motogiro
    Scott

13. Thanks Motogiro, Fz6 2007 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something to sort out quite easily: Air temperature Sensor. Hold reset button when total milage is showing.

15. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! Faster than normal idle?, extended crank time? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

The light coming on, I suspect that's part of the issue (don't know how), Cliff may be able to help.

@Motogiro
    I think he's saying the lowest LCD display bar is flashing (tachometer) until it warms up and shows 3 bars on the temp readout, and then it's normal on the display. This is normal on the S1 instrument cluster.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 12-20-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

17. Thanks Fz6 2007, TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Fordtech58 (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I ride the bike tomorrow I'll check the temp sensor reading. Cliff, yes I believe what I'm seeing is normal as you explained. Scott, the bike doesn't have any fuel module or modifications other than bars, grips, levers and a 48t rear as he was a dirt bike rider and fairly large guy. I'm hoping to check a few things tomorrow after work. I've got all my Saturdays reserved for my drag bike until it's ready. We've been shut down for a year for a complete resurface project and are scheduled to reopen the last weekend in February. Aloha, Rick B...

19. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Fz6 2007, Motogiro liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast